DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

Who counts as the “new generation” anyway? Saying they’re worse than the previous generation or whatever is a pretty subjective thing, and depending on who is lumped into that group, I don’t know if I agree either. And besides that, most of them probably haven’t been working as long as the previous talent, either.

I kinda view the CHIKARA graduates in 3 eras. 

The first is the original era, back when it was primarily a small indy. Probably the first 3 years or so. Hallowicked,  Ultramantis Black, Jigsaw, Eddie Kingston, Icarus, Gran Akuma, and Larry Sweeney are pretty clearly the standouts from that group, with a bunch of other guys who didn't have the staying power (Shane Storm lasted and actually was decent as STIGMA, Mister ZERO was fun if not for the real life career, Blind Rage was super talented but also had outside stuff, and Rorshach always felt like he could have done more) as well as guys who were… you know, there for a bit (Dragonfly, DJ Skittlez) You might even be able to put Claudio here if you want but it gets iffy.

Second Era kinda starts to me at the forming of the Kings of Wrestling and ends when CHIKARA dissolves for Quacks divorce. Top graduates from that group would be Fire Ant (Orange Cassidy), Soldier Ant (Drew Gulak), Ophidian, Amasis, Tim Donst, Frightmare, Lince Dorado, Dasher Hatfield, and maybe Vin Gerard (Vin is an odd one to rank, as he felt essential until he wasn't) This group is pretty comparable to Group 1 in retrospect, though I think OC and Gulak are the best of the group. It's an interesting discussion to make if you think they were better then the best of the 1st class (Eddie, Wicked, Jigsaw, and Sweeney). This was also the era were CHIKARA was bringing in awesome outside talent to be regulars all the time. Cheech and Cloudy, The Olsen Twins (Jimmy Olsen was really good but left the industry after his CHIKARA run), Brodie Lee, Ricochet, Chuck Tayler, Johnny Gargano, and so on. This was the promotions peak, and they didn't graduate many guys in this run who were not at least pretty good. 

Third Era is basically post the original closure. And I will say it is by far the era I'm least knowledgable about. I actually thought Ashley Remmington/Dalton Castle was a CHIKARA graduate, but he was only technically I guess which means he probably wouldn't be the best. I've seen limited work from the rest but I'm not sure how many of them could really be ranked pure talent wise with the higher end CHIKARA graduates of the past. I could be wrong on that, and it certainly took some of the names above a while to really find there footing (Dasher Hatfield was super awkward as Create a Wrestler and Ultimate Breakfast before he found a hit with Dasher and became a much better wrestler. Vin Gerard as Equinox was... really not good but I enjoyed him a good deal with the Vin heel turn). But I will say from what I've seen nobody has really jumped off the page the way that Wicked, Kingston, Jigsaw, The Colony, or the Portal did when they started to get going.

This was a long rant at almost 2 AM and I need to start to sleep more.

• Like 1

I guess if we’re comparing their bodies of work within CHIKARA, then... I guess, maybe. It’s still entirely subjective, but someone like Still Life was only around for... two seasons, maybe? And he’s probably my favorite out of the bunch. Some of these people never had time to find their footing since they’re more recent.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I guess if we’re comparing their bodies of work within CHIKARA, then... I guess, maybe. It’s still entirely subjective, but someone like Still Life was only around for... two seasons, maybe? And he’s probably my favorite out of the bunch. Some of these people never had time to find their footing since they’re more recent.

I'm not disagreeing with you overall. What I am saying to counter that was guys like Wicked, Jigsaw, Kingston, Sweeney, and Ophidian specifically were pretty damn good wrestlers that stood out from basically the word go. But that's also a super tough comparison for most wrestlers to deal with. I'll look into more Still Life work, but I don't think it's really taking a shot at someone when I say I haven't seen anyone who I thought was as good as fast as, say, Eddie Kingston, who would be a shoo in for my top 50 greatest wrestlers ever list. It's more  a statement on how highly I thought of some of the CHIKARA graduates out the gate in the past.

• Like 1

Can we get a rundown of all the accusations against Quackenbush/CHIKARA? I know about him being screwy with people's bookings, but what's this about trainers intentionally injuring people? I didn't see a source for that.

46 minutes ago, Dog said:

Can we get a rundown of all the accusations against Quackenbush/CHIKARA? I know about him being screwy with people's bookings, but what's this about trainers intentionally injuring people? I didn't see a source for that.

Mike Quackenbush (second accuser) (third accuser) (fourth accuser) (fifth accuser) (sixth accuser) (seventh accuser)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saveholmes said:

Not to dismiss anything about the allegations on Quack, but the seventh accuser is a prick with an axe to grind who waited until after Chikara's closure to air out his dirty laundry and talk about stuff re: Solo Darling she personally debunked.

What’s more, every kid who quit, who would have any reason to want to drag Quack, all collectively told the dude to shut the fuck up.

Edited by Super Ape
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, saveholmes said:

Pro wrestling has always been a sleazy business, though.  Nothing that's coming to light right now should surprise anyone.

He'd be more of an asset by staying in and being a good example instead of quitting...

…. unless he's setting the example by quitting...

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Considering how well their last investigation of incidents involving their talent is went, I'll not hold my breath.

Edited by Raziel

It should not surprise anyone that the Pro Wrestling Urban Legends aka the DVRVR Pro Wres Sleaze list is making the rounds again thanks to current events.  No one here should really be surprised by all of these terrible revelations.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

Not to dismiss anything about the allegations on Quack, but the seventh accuser is a prick with an axe to grind who waited until after Chikara's closure to air out his dirty laundry and talk about stuff re: Solo Darling she personally debunked.

What’s more, every kid who quit, who would have any reason to want to drag Quack, all collectively told the dude to shut the fuck up.

Yep. He also deleted his main post, but yeah, that one has enough people who didn’t debate the other allegations coming in calling bullshit I’m putting zero faith in it.

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It should not surprise anyone that the Pro Wrestling Urban Legends aka the DVRVR Pro Wres Sleaze list is making the rounds again thanks to current events.  No one here should really be surprised by all of these terrible revelations.

The sad fact is that half the shit on that thread happens to be true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

With all that's going on the past 31 pages I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who's lost track of all that have been accused.  Especially when there were some that turned out to be not true for whatever reason.  Not saying I'm asking for a list or anything as it's more just a general statement.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

With all that's going on the past 31 pages I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who's lost track of all that have been accused.  Especially when there were some that turned out to be not true for whatever reason.  Not saying I'm asking for a list or anything as it's more just a general statement.

The short form would be that with the exception of Pete Dunne and WALTER WWE-UK seems to be infested with scum. Also, Mike Quackenbush is a nasty perv, but most of us already suspected that. Oh yeah, and Jim Cornette likes to have sex, not that you want to take such an image with you throughout the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

The short form would be that with the exception of Pete Dunne and WALTER WWE-UK seems to be infested with scum.

Hey, the women are fine so far. Gibson & Amir Jordan also seem to be decent.

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

The short form would be that with the exception of Pete Dunne and WALTER WWE-UK seems to be infested with scum. Also, Mike Quackenbush is a nasty perv, but most of us already suspected that. Oh yeah, and Jim Cornette likes to have sex, not that you want to take such an image with you throughout the day.

Scurll is also an alleged Pedo, but given how RoH has handled their last 2 investigations on personel wrongdoing, I expect Marty to have an ownership stake by next friday.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:55 PM, TheVileOne said:

Generally, I can be very hot and cold about Dave Meltzer's reporting. Sometimes he clearly hits onto things that I think are impressive. I think sometimes, he and Alvarez get bullied when it's unwarranted. Everyone accuses them of being on AEW payroll. I mean from a wrestling standpoint, I can understand a preference to AEW over WWE, especially with some of WWE's more embarrassing booking choices. Other times, I find him frustrating and flabbergasting. No offense to fans of Meltzer, but his coverage on this topic so far has been terrible. He's clearly avoiding talking about and reporting on certain people. Also this nonsense:

I wish for this topic of all things due to his position and influence he'd take a little more time to prepare what he will say about it. 

Honestly, just based on a fraction of these allegations, I am somewhat in favor of the nuke it from orbit and rebuild it plan, which is sounding good right about now. 

I don't know if you heard today's WOR, but he and Alvarez basically discussed this topic wrestler by wrestler with the information he had at the time. Quackenbush was not mentioned but Cornette, Guevara, Ospreay, Scurlii, Ryan, and more were discussed. Doesn't seem like he is avoiding specific wrestlers. Maybe he didn't react quick enough?