DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

Marty Scurll posted another statement. I am not posting it because the majority of it is letting us know what the UK age of consent is.

He also didn't apologize

When he gets to the Nigerian age of consent, start crying, a quick google search points that as the lowest at age 11. Do not try and think about that. Phillipines is 12.

Editing because I didn't see Rippa's post on Marty Scurll's 2nd attempt at an apology.

Re Marty's last paragraph, I have no earthly idea why anyone in their right mind would put him in charge of fan safety, but guess you gotta make a blatantly transparent attempt to hang on to your place in the business.
Edited by S.K.o.S.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

When he gets to the Nigerian age of consent, start crying, a quick google search points that as the lowest at age 11. Do not try and think about that. Phillipines is 12.

We can laugh at those far flung foreigners, but I'm pretty sure there are still places in the United States where 12 is legal as long as their parents sign off.  I was in high school and a girl was telling me how she was getting married and everyone was looking at her like, "Yeah, OK."  Turns out her parents signed off on her marrying some 20+ year old dude.

• Like 2

Can guys like Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay not afford legal counsel or at least assistants to read over things before they publicly release them? It's reminds Jon Jones not being able to afford a driver in 2020. Like they should be way more careful with whatever statements they share.

Edited by TheVileOne

16 minutes ago, supremebve said:

We can laugh at those far flung foreigners, but I'm pretty sure there are still places in the United States where 12 is legal as long as their parents sign off.  I was in high school and a girl was telling me how she was getting married and everyone was looking at her like, "Yeah, OK."  Turns out her parents signed off on her marrying some 20+ year old dude.

In your example - that is illegal everywhere in the states

In the United States, the Age of Consent is set on a state-by-state basis. This means that neighbouring states can have different age of consent laws. However, all states have an age of consent that falls within a three-year range.

The highest state Age of Consent in the United States is 18. The Age of Consent is 18 in eleven states - California, New York, Florida, Oregon, Utah, Iowa, Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Delaware.

The lowest state Age of Consent in the United States is 16. This is the most common age of consent, and is adopted by Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia.

In the states not mentioned, the legal age of consent is 17.

This is obviously for where one of the parties is above the age of consent.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/report/statutory-rape-guide-state-laws-and-reporting-requirements-summary-current-state-laws/sexual-intercourse-minors

It is distressing to see that South Dakota thinks it is okay for a 10 year old to give consent to a 13 year old

EDITING - I guess there are a couple of states a 13 year old can get married with parental consent so that part is technically legal. But to assume that is all that would happen is folly

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

But Janela is in the right pointing out that criticism of the obviously scummy CZW is pretty conspicuously missing from her messages, which feels so disingenuous because she works for them.

Hold up. Is Wiggy doing any of the following things?

1. Refusing to platform stories of abuse at CZW shows or by CZW personnel or talent
  2. Claiming that CZW is fine and has no problems?
  3. Attempting to quash or denigrate victims or witnesses who are making allegations or speaking out about abuse at CZW?

Because if she is, then this is valid criticism and so be it. If she is not, then going at her because she is employed by CZW and has not experienced or witnessed abuse firsthand and has said so is bullshit.

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Marty Scurll posted another statement. I am not posting it because the majority of it is letting us know what the UK age of consent is.

He also didn't apologize

It's crazier than that: He didn't apologize, and then stated it was his priority to "seek forgiveness" for the culture he unknowingly contributed to. Jumping from two non-apologies directly into seeking forgiveness is a dazzlingly huge rhetorical swing on his part. I find that to be wild. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In your example - that is illegal everywhere in the states

This is obviously for where one of the parties is above the age of consent.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/report/statutory-rape-guide-state-laws-and-reporting-requirements-summary-current-state-laws/sexual-intercourse-minors

It is distressing to see that South Dakota thinks it is okay for a 10 year old to give consent to a 13 year old

This is from 2017, so maybe things have changed since then, but it was 100% legal in some states to essentially sell their 12 year old children into "marriage."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/

51 minutes ago, Ryan said:

As far as HS Dropouts done good(I think he claimed to be), Joey Janela is not Dave Grohl.

*raises hand*

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

This whole thing confused me as well, so thanks for the explanation!  I have no dog in this fight but from appearances, she has two roles here:

1) Wiggy is a victim

2) Wiggy is a podcaster using her platform to amplify others' accusations, which is cool

But Janela is in the right pointing out that criticism of the obviously scummy CZW is pretty conspicuously missing from her messages, which feels so disingenuous because she works for them.  But still, Janela needs to read the room and understand this probably isn't the time for comments like his, right or wrong.

At the same time, he came at her for her role as #2 above while she is reporting him to AEW in her role as #1, which is shitty  -- "an employee of yours is being mean to a victim."

Everyone sucks here but Janela is worse because, dude, maybe just lay off and let shit go because this is just not the time.

As someone who is friends with her, as far as I know she has not received any specific stories regarding CZW. And as stated, she hasn’t ever told me a story in CZW that made her uncomfortable. That’s certainly not saying bad shit wasn’t happening, just that she has not seen it. 

The idea that she is at fault for putting out her personal stories on one promotion and being asked to so privately by others so they can retain anonymous but not doing so for stories nobody has sent her is really weird imo. And like I said, while my friend works there, I’m not a CZW fan. The only match I have watched from the company in the last 5 years was the Gulak/Danny Havok match after Havok died. I don’t really have a horse here. God knows I’ve heard tons of fucked in stories about CZW and it’s wrestlers many times. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My "Any professional wrestler who knows or talks too much about age of consent laws is definitely a creep" rule continues to serve me very well.

FTFY

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is from 2017, so maybe things have changed since then, but it was 100% legal in some states to essentially sell their 12 year old children into "marriage."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/

OK, this is weird, and possibly a reaction to the above article, but most of these laws changed in the last 3 years.  The story I told was while I was in high school in Virginia in the late 90s.  I want to say that conversation happened when I was a freshman (95-96) but I can't be 100% sure.  The law changed in 2016.  That is one of the earlier states.  I don't know what the sea change was, but if you look at the wiki page of when these laws went to effect, most of them changed between 2017 and 2019.  It's fucking weird that most states were ok with this until recently, and kind of more weird that they all seemed to agree that it was wrong at roughly the same time.  Don't worry West Virginia, there is no legal minimum with parental and judicial consent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_age_in_the_United_States

Umm... after reading the last few replies I'm going to regret pressing submit on this...but fuck it.

Just now, supremebve said:

OK, this is weird, and possibly a reaction to the above article, but most of these laws changed in the last 3 years.  The story I told was while I was in high school in Virginia in the late 90s.  I want to say that conversation happened when I was a freshman (95-96) but I can't be 100% sure.  The law changed in 2016.  That is one of the earlier states.  I don't know what the sea change was, but if you look at the wiki page of when these laws went to effect, most of them changed between 2017 and 2019.  It's fucking weird that most states were ok with this until recently, and kind of more weird that they all seemed to agree that it was wrong at roughly the same time.  Don't worry West Virginia, there is no legal minimum with parental and judicial consent.

Umm... after reading the last few replies I'm going to regret pressing submit on this...but fuck it.

After I posted I literally thought "Oh no,  I hope supremebve doesn't think I was talking about him."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's okay, Jeff; we know you're not a creep.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My "Any dude who knows or talks too much about age of consent laws is probably a creep" rule continues to serve me very well.

To be fair, some of worked as management in places that employed minors and had a lot of not minors to manage as well and thats kinda something you needed to know from an HR standpoint.

So these age of consent and marriage laws. Are these cases of states being too lazy to make the changes? Or were they being brought up and argued as something that needed to be changed, but no one did for fuck knows what reason?

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

After I posted I literally thought "Oh no,  I hope supremebve doesn't think I was talking about him."

For the record, I agree with the sentiment of what you were saying.  I'll take it one step further, if someone's morality only fits into what is legal and illegal, you should not trust anything about that person.  

• Like 7

I think that WaPo article and some activism around the same time were a big part of that sea change. I remember hearing about it then and just being utterly baffled that was a thing or that anyone wouldn't vote to change it ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So these age of consent and marriage laws. Are these cases of states being too lazy to make the changes? Or were they being brought up and argued as something that needed to be changed, but no one did for fuck knows what reason?

I think that West Virginia still thinks that Andrew Jackson is President. (not that there's a ton of difference between him and the orange shit-gibbon).

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

For the record, I agree with the sentiment of what you were saying.  I'll take it one step further, if someone's morality only fits into what is legal and illegal, you should not trust anything about that person.  

Yeah, this is an even better articulation of it.