DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Big Show's 30th Turn Celebration - 6/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Guy is laying there with a potentially life-threatening head/neck injury and the fucking EMTs are allowing Orton to read 1/4th of a Shakespeare novel.

In all seriousness, that would have been way more effective had they shut his damn theme song off during all that. Sometimes less is more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Honestly I thought tonight's show was very solid. Orton is on fire and I'm curious where the Flair-as-heater part of this goes. IED, McMahon-punting Orton is the best Orton. 

While I agree with what you said I’ve got to admit I read it quick at first, and thought it was about McMahon punting Orton. Which made me laugh. Somehow I can definitely see Shane returning, and delivering the crappiest punt ever to Orton. 

• Haha 1

Well should have seen the bait and switch coming. The execution was a little muddy. Like why did Flair have to be involved? But I do like the path the psycho Orton character is on. He's done psycho before, but it feels fresh with him showing remorse and stuff. I also love that Christian technically got to have a final match, and that it was with his biggest singles rival. It was an angle more than a match, but this narrative provides much better closure for a very under rated performer.

This was the first full Raw I've watched in real time during the lock down era. It dragged real real bad and I don't quite understand why some people are used for two or three segments when you got dudes like Ricochet and Cedric not even making TV at all. But hey, cheesy out dated ninja stuff makes up for that right?

I never really noticed until now that the glare off the hockey boards along the ramp make the entrances look like the ones from those shitty AWA green screen shows.

Maybe its just me.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 2

Not gonna lie, I like the Prophets, but a part of me really wants Big Show and Giant Ninja to turn on everyone and form an unbeatable giant tag team.  I don’t know the Giant Ninja’s name but he could probably learn a lot being paired with Show every night.  And I want them to finally be defeated by either Lucha House Party or Breezanzgo

Just replace Poochie with Charlotte:
E4mjWps.jpg

I was wondering about the Big Show turn count, 30 is lower then I was expecting.

I was talking with a friend of mine that hasn't watched wrestling in about 10 years. I said "the main championship program is McIntyre vs. Lashley/MVP. Orton is in a program with Edge, and Christian is about to come back as well." His response? "What is it, 2008?"

I LOVED that they've continued with the whole Akira/ninjas thing, but I have many, many questions (mostly of the why and how variety.)

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wait, so Christian might be cleared now? Did AEW offer him a contract too or something?

If Russo was still here this would build to an Edge/Christian vs Orton/Mystery Partner TLC match at Extreme Rules.

Orton's partner would then be revealed as Edge in a reformation of Rated RKO.

• Like 1

Still digging the MVP/Lashley pairing. Its nice to see them finally break off from Lana.

MVP possibly corrupting Apollo a little was neat. Hope they build more off of that.

The Truth/Drew vs. MVP/Lashley stuff was a bit much, but it was nice to see a happy ending for Truth.

Ending digging the angle with Dominic attacking Seth and gettign one over on Murphy/Theory. Feels like we a nearing closer and closer to Dominic's debut.

IIconics vs. Nattie/Liv was a nice enough match while it lasted. The backstage stuff with Nattie later chatting with Lana was interesting. Lana under Nattie's tutelage could be a decent angle.

The IIconics segment wit Bayley and Sasha was decent though it feels weird with both teams being heels.

The Profits/Raiders vs. Tozawa and his ninja crew stuff was dumb, but maybe less dumb and more entertaining than last night? It was nice to see them finally talk about ending the show games rivalry and just settle shit in the ring. Next week's tag titles match should be good.

Asuka/Nia was good while it lasted. Not sure about the ending. It was better executed than last night's bullshit though I have no idea why they feel the need to muddy the waters with it. I assume thy drag this out to Extreme Rules with a stip match.

The Christian/Orton angle was weird with there beign no news of Christian actually beign cleared to wrestle. If this is legt the beginng of a feud and Christian can go, then cool. If not then I have no idea why they bothered with it.

This was a strangely dense Raw with it being so angle heavy. I thought they went into overkill a bit with guys getting 2-3 appearances, but it was somewhat easier to get through than the past few episodes. I love a good long match, but half the time they were giving these longer matches to people that really didn't need it. Still hope they balance things a bit better and maybe give some of this tv time to other talent as well.

So perhaps the commentary was just plain wrong on this but they were acting like if MVP got the pin he would be champion, and if so then I am so lost by how Lashley worked much of that match. Being cool with MVP going for pins, tagging him back in right near the end just makes so little sense in a way that even WWE usually doesn't get this wrong.

Also I think Christian got what he deserved for blowing Flair off like that >_>

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wait, so Christian might be cleared now? Did AEW offer him a contract too or something?

I don't think he's cleared, Orton didn't come anywhere close to even touching him on that punt, just the power of the leg slap.

I missed the first hour of the show. I can't believe I missed The Big Show vs. Ninja's. How the hell did they not do a scene like that in one of Show's WWE movies?

Relieved that Asuka won...even if it was by a ref doing a fast count. I guess they want to "protect" Nia while letting Asuka keep the belt. We all know she's place holding for Charlotte anyway. 

I really thought Truth was gonna turn on Drew, cost him the title and MVP was going to have this new stable of guys. But then I realized, wait why would they do something interesting.

But then they go and have Ric Flair be all concerned for Christian only to low blow him. There was a real awkward edit when Flair delivered the low blow. I guess they needed to set that shot up instead of just letting Flair do something he's done a million times. I would love it if Christian is cleared to wrestle again. Him and Orton always had good matches. They should have just had this in the parking lot instead of having it as this official...unofficial match. The punt was great as always and Randy showing moral concern while blaming Christian at the same time was great.

51 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I don't think he's cleared, Orton didn't come anywhere close to even touching him on that punt, just the power of the leg slap.

Whether he connected or not, I don’t think they’d put a non-cleared performer in that situation if they didn’t get the all clear from their medical staff. Plus what does it achieve? It’s Christian, so you’d think it would further the Orton/Edge stuff, but Edge is out for the rest of the year probably.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Not gonna lie, I like the Prophets, but a part of me really wants Big Show and Giant Ninja to turn on everyone and form an unbeatable giant tag team.

The last time a giant ninja was around Big Show, he had become a Yeti, and we all know how that ended up.

53 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Flair's decades of hard living made him think Christian was actually surfer Sting and instinctively turned on him.

Reminds me of a while back when Orton had turned on and attacked a helpless Flair on the outside, while a fan screamed at Randy, "Yeah! Do it for the Stinger!"

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

30 seems low for Big Show.

This article had him at 34 by November of 2018.

Even if it's the case, whether it's 30 or 34, I prefer the better stat for this one:

At the end of 2019, Big Show was last seen as a heel working with The Bar.

Big Show shows up in January as KO/Samoa Joe's ally vs. Rollins and his group. Big Show turns face, then leaves.

Big Show has his WM/night after WM match with Drew McIntyre. Big Show turns heel, then leaves.

Big Show shows up tonight to fight the ninjas. Big Show turns face again.

Big Show has somehow managed to turn every time he shows up on WWE television in 2020.

• Thanks 1