DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 11: Eye vs. Calvillo (06/13/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EZtOXgBXsAEfQiU.jpeg?1591327462

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 11: Eye vs. Calvillo 
June 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX) 

Jessica Eye (126.25)*** vs. Cynthia Calvillo (126) - Calvillo, DEC (unanimous)
Karl Roberson (190.5)** vs. Marvin Vettori (186) - Vettori, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:17)
Charles Rosa (155) vs. Kevin Aguilar (155.5) - Rosa, DEC (split)
Andre Fili (145.5) vs. Charles Jourdain (145.5) - Fili, DEC (split)
Jordan Espinosa (135.5) vs. Mark De La Rosa (136) - Espinosa, DEC (unanimous)
Hannah Cifers (125) vs. Mariya Agapova (125.5) - Agapova, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:42)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Merab Dvalishvili (139) vs. Gustavo Lopez (140) - Dvalishvili, DEC (unanimous)
Julia Avila (135) vs. Gina Mazany (136) - Avila, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:22)
Tyson Nam (135.5) vs. Zarrukh Adashev (138.5)* - Nam, KO (punch), R1 (0:32)
Christian Aguilera (170.5) vs. Anthony Ivy (171) - Aguilera, TKO (punches), R1 (0:59)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight
*Forfeits 25% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Christian Aguilera
Performance of the Night: Tyson Nam
Performance of the Night: Mariya Agapova
Performance of the Night: Marvin Vettori

Rating: 908,000 viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I really don't know if Calvillo can be dominant on the ground as she was when she first came into the UFC. I think this matchup with Eye is kinda to determine if Calvillo is going to sink or swim at flyweight.

• RIPPA pinned this topic
5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I really don't know if Calvillo can be dominant on the ground as she was when she first came into the UFC. I think this matchup with Eye is kinda to determine if Calvillo is going to sink or swim at flyweight.

Given Cynthia's chronic issues with not making weight while fighting at Strawweight, I think that moving up a class is half the problem solved.   Now she can just focus on doing what she does and not worry about weight cuts.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Given Cynthia's chronic issues with not making weight while fighting at Strawweight, I think that moving up a class is half the problem solved.   Now she can just focus on doing what she does and not worry about weight cuts.

The thing is by now, everyone has had time to build a case on Calvillo. Plus, when she stepped up in competition at 115, she certainly wasn't as dominant. She's not fighting Amanda Cooper anymore, who was a decent striker but pretty bad on the ground. Flyweight isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but Jessica Eye is probably the best gatekeeper the division has right now. She's basically what Yushin Okami was for five years at middleweight: Not remotely close to a match for the champion, but super tough for almost everyone else. For what Eye lacks in technique, she makes up with dogged determination. If the read on Calvillo is that she is a front runner, Eye can just try to out work her.

• Like 3

Her first fight at Flyweight is the #1 Contender while being previously ranked as the #10 Strawweight?  As you said,  Eye is not a threat to the title, but a very solid gatekeeper.  This is a pretty big ask of Cynthia.

Cynthia wins and she suddenly in the conversation for a shot at Shevchenko's belt. She even vaults over Katelyn Chookagian who just mauled the champ's sister.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I don't ever need to see Chookagian fight for the title again. 

I think the only thing that might stop this is either an influx of former strawweights going to flyweight or at least ONE elite strawweight going to flyweight. The loser of Andrade/Rose might as well go up to 125.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the only thing that might stop this is either an influx of former strawweights going to flyweight or at least ONE elite strawweight going to flyweight. The loser of Andrade/Rose might as well go up to 125.

I have a feeling Rose ain't long for the fight game and may retire after her next loss. I hope I am wrong though. 

• Like 1

Since I only follow ONE off and on, maybe @Oyaji or @Setsuna can adequately explain this. What is hydration testing and is Meltzer right that it isn't working? Because people were talking about it hard when it was first instituted and then very little since.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd love to know too! Seemed like a good system where people were supposed to be around their natural weight without dehydrating which causes all of these weight cutting issues. Were people trying to game the system somehow?

Edit: Oh, and I thought Calvillo was going to ragdoll Eye prior to the weight issues, now it could be downright ugly. Calvillo isn't a dominant top fighter but she's good at leveraging her weight and is tenacious on the takedowns.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Thanks 1

I was Surprised by that as well but it is her UFC debut at this weight against a highly ranked fighter. Vegas does come up with some weird lines Chookagian was an underdog in last fight against Shevchenko's Sister a few weeks ago I Noticed it during the fighter introductions. 

2 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

I was Surprised by that as well but it is her UFC debut at this weight against a highly ranked fighter. Vegas does come up with some weird lines Chookagian was an underdog in last fight against Shevchenko's Sister a few weeks ago I Noticed it during the fighter introductions. 

What you are saying is technically correct but I still can't help myself from

CM-Punk-Laughing-to-Himself.gif

at the idea of Jessica Eye not being a really average fighter in pretty much every way. That division really needs some people struggling from the above and below weight classes to come on by. I'm a Valentina mark but one person can't prop up a division. We've seen that too many times to know it's not a long-term recipe for success. In saying that, I think Valentina is the best female fighter on the planet and if she didn't win the second fight with Nunes it was hella close and up against somebody who can fight at 145 when Shevchenko is a 125er.

Yeah Cifers is a Big underdog with Agapova as one of the biggest favorites on the card. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

What you are saying is technically correct but I still can't help myself from

CM-Punk-Laughing-to-Himself.gif

at the idea of Jessica Eye not being a really average fighter in pretty much every way. That division really needs some people struggling from the above and below weight classes to come on by. I'm a Valentina mark but one person can't prop up a division. We've seen that too many times to know it's not a long-term recipe for success. In saying that, I think Valentina is the best female fighter on the planet and if she didn't win the second fight with Nunes it was hella close and up against somebody who can fight at 145 when Shevchenko is a 125er.

Yeah I'm in the Camp that Shevchenko beat Nunes in that title fight. 

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since I only follow ONE off and on, maybe @Oyaji or @Setsuna can adequately explain this. What is hydration testing and is Meltzer right that it isn't working? Because people were talking about it hard when it was first instituted and then very little since.

I....don't know? I'm not one to follow a lot of what happens backstage or pre/post fight, but One has never been very transparent. Like I know people have failed the hydration tests so they must be regulating it somehow? That's all I got.

FWIW, my understanding is that it's just a system to not allow fighters to cut massive amounts of water weight in a short time. Their weight is checked throughout the week(weeks?) leading into the fight and must produce urine samples, and they can only drop a certain percentage of weight over that final week. I haven't read any comprehensive info on how it works in practice though.

• Like 1