DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

I've been perusing AEW's youtube views. Click-metrics. Whatever. I know the roster's been depleted but there's been a really obvious Top 3 Most Over Guys over the last few months, if the data's telling the truth. It's Moxley, then Jericho, then Orange Cassidy. Easily. Not to say that Cody, Brodie, Matt Hardy, Darby, Archer/Jake don't do well, but OC clearly pulls main event numbers. So does, uh, Abadon?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s Truth Martini up to? Or Prince Nana. You also have a bunch of undersized and extremely mediocre performers who have shown a ton of personality when speaking that could be used in that kind of position. Joey Janela, Peter Avalon, and Cutler. Yes they are all wrestlers but they don’t have the baggage of being legends as well. Which a lot of old school managers came up with that background of being better coaches than wrestlers.

To be fair, I didn't see A LOT of him as within about 6 months of me starting to watch ROH they wrote Truth off TV, but I thought he was an AMAZING manager.  He had that horrible gravelly voice, the book of Truth, and you just wanted to see him get destroyed.  I never enjoyed Jay Lethal as much as I did when he was Truth's charge with that amazing entrance.  Always thought Truth deserved another run somewhere.

8 minutes ago, gordi said:

Prince Nana and Prince Iaukea should come in to AEW as a kind of "consulting firm" for young wrestlers. They could use that Spin Doctors song as their theme. You know, "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"

This might be my favourite post in the history of DVDVR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think another problem (slightly different than than one were talking about the other day) is that if you put yourself on the moral high ground, especially in the wrestling business, there are bound for skeletons to come out that will lead to lots of "whataboutery" questions, either a person's real life or questionable angles they did in the past. 

For example Will people bring up Jericho's body shaming of Stephanie? Or his angles with Chyna?  Etc 

My question: given their disdain for the Kahns after learning this are Fulham supporters going to don "Hulkamania" shirts at matches as a giant troll/FU to them?

Just now, The Green Meanie said:

She's easily been my favorite female talent sans Statlander.

Shida's carry-job vs. Abadon pulled 400k viewers on youtube. Dole out some Khanbux to get her some training and experience, make her a project. Her contact lenses alone give her a higher upside than Rosemary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caley said:

To be fair, I didn't see A LOT of him as within about 6 months of me starting to watch ROH they wrote Truth off TV, but I thought he was an AMAZING manager.  He had that horrible gravelly voice, the book of Truth, and you just wanted to see him get destroyed.  I never enjoyed Jay Lethal as much as I did when he was Truth's charge with that amazing entrance.  Always thought Truth deserved another run somewhere.

This might be my favourite post in the history of DVDVR.

Truth was too injured to even be a manager- his back was in worse shape than Gary Hart's.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The problem with the QT thing...what's the payoff? Allie turns on him and makes him look like a geek? QT turns on Dustin...and then what? I don't think anyone cares enough about QT right now for him to be anything without being affiliated with the Nightmare fam. Too early for dissention in the tag team.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, Oyaji said:

Yeah, Pac is already one of their better, more convincing promos. I suggested that because it made storyline sense with Pac complaining about lack of opportunities. I'd be fine with both Tully and Arn managing FTR when they go full heel (WITH CODY, IT'S HAPPENING). 

Two cornermen for the FTR sounds a bit awkward.  A Cody heel turn seems like a mistake to me.  He's one of the strongest babyfaces (especially promo-wise) in wrestling right now.  

On 6/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s Truth Martini up to? Or Prince Nana. You also have a bunch of undersized and extremely mediocre performers who have shown a ton of personality when speaking that could be used in that kind of position. Joey Janela, Peter Avalon, and Cutler. Yes they are all wrestlers but they don’t have the baggage of being legends as well. Which a lot of old school managers came up with that background of being better coaches than wrestlers.

Yes, AEW would be smart to utilize Janela's mic skills.  I'm convinced a Manager-Wrestler role would greatly benefit young Joey.  I don't see Cutler or Avalon as good a fit in that role as they are as enhancement talent.     

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I've been perusing AEW's youtube views. Click-metrics. Whatever. I know the roster's been depleted but there's been a really obvious Top 3 Most Over Guys over the last few months, if the data's telling the truth. It's Moxley, then Jericho, then Orange Cassidy. Easily. Not to say that Cody, Brodie, Matt Hardy, Darby, Archer/Jake don't do well, but OC clearly pulls main event numbers. So does, uh, Abadon?

Numbers don’t lie. 

The Abadon match having high views makes sense just because her look is so out there you have to see it. I don't watch Dark that often but that one I sought out because so many people mentioned how freaky she looked plus Shida's reactions were great in the match. I assume that was her only shot with them?

I love how Shawn Spears gimmick is more or less just sugarcoating what many of the internet wrestling community thinks of him and his booking. The internet thinks Spears is boring on his own, well, then let's find him a partner to make him more interesting. The internet thinks Spears tries too many different things instead of focusing on just one clear gimmick (Chairman, contact lenses and mohawk, Tully, news anchor, whatever), well, then Tully has to scream at him that he isn't focused and needs to find his true self.

Well, who here thought that his hands look like shit?

Edited by MrKothoga