DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Having heard some of Frye's interviews over the years I feel he would have been a way better fit for the WWF than Dan Severn was, even if Severn was a bigger name from the early UFC days. I don't recall ever hearing about WWF interest, but I do know WCW looked into him at one point. Apparently Frye was not remotely impressed by Eric Bischoff when they spoke and it fell apart pretty fast.

EDIT: To expand on that, Frye did an interview a thousand years ago for Zach Arnold's site where he said WCW flew him in for an interview, and when things didn't go well between him and Bischoff they suddenly reneged on paying for his flight/hotel and stuck him with the bill. He was not happy.

27 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I get that, and I also get why you locked the other conversations, but what do you expect to be the topic of conversation on a wrestling board?  Seriously, this is all awful, but we're all here because we love wrestling.  It's unrealistic for anyone to think that we're not going to want to discuss what feels like a fundamental shift in the industry.

The people in this thread discussing Undertaker's Documentary were doing it just fine. I actually find it quite easy to not post anything for large chunks of time about a subject, no matter how important it is to me, because I don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

For the next 24 hrs the "Wrestlers Are trash Alegedly" topic is closed. After that I'll reopen the thread. But it's clear people need to take a minute and come up for air. Hopefully they can gain some perspective on how their posts affect others. It's difficult to do that when one is deeply entrenched in the constant news cycle of it.

If you really want to continue talking about it as it happens live today and lord knows you're free to do so, you're welcome to use a myriad of other platforms on the internet to do just that. We're not the only game in town.

If you can't find anything else to discuss HERE in that time frame then I guess there's nothing else to talk about and that's okay too. We don't always have to be talking. Sometimes it's better to think on it, even if for just a day.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The people in this thread discussing Undertaker's Documentary were doing it just fine. I actually find it quite easy to not post anything for large chunks of time about a subject, no matter how important it is to me, because I don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

For the next 24 hrs the topic is closed. After that I'll reopen the thread. But it's clear people need to take a minute and come up for air. Hopefully they can gain some perspective on how their posts affect others. It's difficult to do that when one is deeply entrenched in the constant news cycle of it.

If you really want to continue talking about it as it happens live today and lord knows you're free to do so, you're welcome to use a myriad of other platforms on the internet to do just that. We're not the only game in town.

If you can't find anything else to discuss HERE in that time frame then I guess there's nothing else to talk about and that's okay too. We don't always have to be talking. Sometimes it's better to think on it, even if for just a day.

Totally reasonable.  I 100% agree that everyone needs to take the feelings of others into their posts, especially when it comes to this particular subject matter.  With that said, this is the least toxic place I know to discuss these matters and going elsewhere is not really an option I'm willing to explore.  Any way, I can wait a day.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Having heard some of Frye's interviews over the years I feel he would have been a way better fit for the WWF than Dan Severn was, even if Severn was a bigger name from the early UFC days. I don't recall ever hearing about WWF interest, but I do know WCW looked into him at one point. Apparently Frye was not remotely impressed by Eric Bischoff when they spoke and it fell apart pretty fast.

EDIT: To expand on that, Frye did an interview a thousand years ago for Zach Arnold's site where he said WCW flew him in for an interview, and when things didn't go well between him and Bischoff they suddenly reneged on paying for his flight/hotel and stuck him with the bill. He was not happy.

Don Frye would be way, way, way down on my list of "People I would deliberately fuck over" but WCW was a different breed.

I never actually saw his NJPW stuff, was any of it good?

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Don Frye would be way, way, way down on my list of "People I would deliberately fuck over" but WCW was a different breed.

I never actually saw his NJPW stuff, was any of it good?

I think that the description I'd use would be "pedestrian" and/or "commercially acceptable/uninspiring". Frye never made me want to fast-forward a tape, but I don't think I've re-watched more than a handful of matches that he was in and it damn sure wasn't because I wanted to see more Don Frye. 

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

You forget, Eric Bischoff was a master of point-karate, sparring with the dangerous Ernest "the Cat" Miller! Uh, yeah...

Not to disparage actual karate, which is a very effective martial art, but most of the point-karate bunch are dojo queens that wouldn't know what to do in an actual fight. I recall many years ago one such told me that Muay Thai (my chosen field of endeavor) was a "sissy imitation of karate". I got a chance to use one of my best lines after kicking him in the head... "Did you like that? Would you care for some more?" See, always be polite...

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

For the next 24 hrs the "Wrestlers Are trash Alegedly" topic is closed. After that I'll reopen the thread. But it's clear people need to take a minute and come up for air. Hopefully they can gain some perspective on how their posts affect others. It's difficult to do that when one is deeply entrenched in the constant news cycle of it.

I respect the board and respect jaedmc and I've been here off and on a long-time. I certainly understand giving people a timeout if they're sniping back and forth or derailing threads with personal attacks but reading this post makes me think that this is more a warning to not post opinions that others may disagree with or be upset by or to be wary about pushing back from general consensus. 

In the trash thread, I certainly posted a few things that I thought were a little more nuanced than the "fuck [insert] accused" posts which to me have absolutely no value. 

I taught college English. I teach high school English. I'm a big believer in MORE dialogue, more debate and having uncomfortable conversations in a fair, logical way. 

Again, not criticizing the decision to close or for anyone to take a beat but I hope moving forward this isn't a trend where a post "affecting others" is going to stifle dissent. People also have the ability to mute and not read people they find annoying, dumb or offensive, as well.

- Hagan

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Also regards for Frye - is he a credible HOF candidate? Drew some big houses in Japan. Really fascinated by both him and Takada who for a minute were just huge fucking draws. 

If you guys haven't read the Shamrock book and the Pride book - both well worth a read too. 

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I respect the board and respect jaedmc and I've been here off and on a long-time. I certainly understand giving people a timeout if they're sniping back and forth or derailing threads with personal attacks but reading this post makes me think that this is more a warning to not post opinions that others may disagree with or be upset by or to be wary about pushing back from general consensus. 

In the trash thread, I certainly posted a few things that I thought were a little more nuanced than the "fuck [insert] accused" posts which to me have absolutely no value. 

I taught college English. I teach high school English. I'm a big believer in MORE dialogue, more debate and having uncomfortable conversations in a fair, logical way. 

Again, not criticizing the decision to close or for anyone to take a beat but I hope moving forward this isn't a trend where a post "affecting others" is going to stifle dissent. People also have the ability to mute and not read people they find annoying, dumb or offensive, as well.

- Hagan

This is by far the most fair point of view I’ve seen anyone share in the last 2-3 days. 

Edited by MavsFan77
Took my opinions to DM, Sorry about that.

57 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

This is by far the most fair point of view I’ve seen anyone share in the last 2-3 days. 

[EDIT -- Hi Dolfan here!   Enjoy this gif of a puppy!]

d436815693e1d5d8011f0485606a8991.gif

With all due respect....just stop.

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
I read about one sentence and decided this was better.
  • Thanks 1

I don't think continued meta discussion regarding forum policies is a worthwhile endeavor. That said, private message is there for a reason. Hagan had a perfectly reasonable response and it should have been left at that. I mean, Mavs said it himself that Hagan's response was probably the most fair one shared. Do you really think you can improve on that? If not and it's more continued complaining or meta discussion, send the admins a private message.

Or take meta discussions to the Forum folder and not have  them in the wrestling or sports or TV folders. 

(Yes, this is a hypocritical post. Oroborous ?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1