DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

As I said a few weeks ago, if Vince loses another main event star to motherhood, he'd probably try to add "no pregnancy" clauses into peoples contracts. I'm sure that would go over well in this climate. 

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

With all the Sid talk from the last month or so, I feel like our Solomon Grundy has come and gone.

What could've been...

4 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Just a non sequitur... Lance Archer ordered a Burrito at the restaurant I manage... nice guy.

Despite punching the busboy in the jaw and dragging him out to the dining room floor. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

damn I forgot how fucking great this 2008 Royal Rumble is.  Cena's surprise return got the crowd nuclear and the whole final 15 minutes is electric. 

It's one of the best Royal Rumble matches: the match starting with the final two from the year before: The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels, Undertaker battering someone after getting eliminated, I vaguely remember a legdrop on the announcers table, Mick Foley/Roddy Piper as a surprise entrant, Batista as the Iron Man and the biggest surprise entrant of all time: John Cena. Nobody expected John Cena back after tearing his pec in October to return three months later. The pop is massive and then the MSG fans remember to boo Cena again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Long Undertaker post follows...

With Undertaker/Reigns going on last at WrestleMania XXXIII instead of a world title match, Jim Ross back on commentary and the moving post match as the Undertaker left his gloves/trench coat/hat off in the middle of the ring, I and others thought that was it for the Undertaker.

The Undertaker came back vs. John Cena a year later at WrestleMania XXXIV, shame it went short and didn’t happen when the Streak was active. The quality of his matches declined particularly the Brothers of Destruction vs. DX at Crown Jewel 2018 and vs. Goldberg at Super Showdown 2019 when Undertaker nearly had his neck broken by a botched Jackhammer from Goldberg. You could see what Undertaker thought as the match ended. Awful matches those made up of botches. The Undertaker/Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre/Shane McMahon at Extreme Rules 2019 was really good and the Boneyard match vs. AJ Styles at WrestleMania XXXVI was Taker’s best match in years.

Over the past two months, Undertaker: The Last Ride went out covering the past three years of the Undertaker. It’s the best documentary I’ve seen from WWE and they’ve done some great ones. The big draw to it is seeing the Undertaker, Mark Calaway out of character. Before that, it was very rare behaviour. That added to the mystique of the gimmick. Mark reflects on his career, wanting to go out on a great match, thinks he’s done only to comeback and relevant people talking about the Undertaker: his wife, Michelle McCool, Vince McMahon, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin and Triple H.

The last episode went out this Monday morning UK time and the Undertaker announced he had “no desire to get back in the ring”. I’d like to think that’s it for the Undertaker but I’m not sure it will be based on said documentary and Survivor Series 2020 will mark the 30th anniversary of the Undertaker’s debut in the then WWF.

The Undertaker has the best gimmick in wrestling history and the same goes for his entrances. I’ll remember the Undertaker for those, his Hell in a Cell match vs. Shawn Michaels at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997 was Undertaker and Shawn Michaels’ greatest match, the infamous Hell in a Cell match with Mankind at King of the Ring 1998 and The Streak. The Undertaker’s Undefeated Streak at WrestleMania was something else. I’d like to highlight from it vs. Batista at WrestleMania 23, Edge at WrestleMania XXIV, Shawn Michaels from WrestleMania XXV and XXVI. The Undertaker had an additional Streak people don’t talk about, the Match of the Night from 23-XXIX. That’s seven years in a row! Undertaker’s 21-0 WrestleMania record ended by Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XXX, the most shocking thing I’ve seen in wrestling and I started watching as a young boy. The Streak never should have been broken.

Thank You Taker.

• Like 1

I caught some of it on TV too and it was a trip seeing all the people that were still around. Punk, Big Vis, Umaga, Kennedy (ugh), Batista, Michaels. Totally different company. 

The Cena pop was Road Warrior as hell. It ran through the whole rest of the match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

damn I forgot how fucking great this 2008 Royal Rumble is.  Cena's surprise return got the crowd nuclear and the whole final 15 minutes is electric. 

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I caught some of it on TV too and it was a trip seeing all the people that were still around. Punk, Big Vis, Umaga, Kennedy (ugh), Batista, Michaels. Totally different company. 

The Cena pop was Road Warrior as hell. It ran through the whole rest of the match.

True holy shit moment. Miss that MSG entrance.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I like how Native Hawaiians are so underrepresented in pro wrestling that people take a look at their names and instantly go "hmmm...".

LOOOOOL

I was literally in Hawaii in October of 2000 reading about Kea's name change in a PWI.  I checked a white pages (remember them?) and was gobsmacked by the sheer number of Mossmans in there.

• Like 1

I was reading an ESPN article on the fall of the XFL and it got me wondering, do we know if Vince has ever considered buying the Harlem Globetrotters or any of the "On Ice" type stuff? I'd think that would fit their traditional business model and logistics better than football. Same arenas, same trucks/lighting, etc. 

Edited by For Great Justice

23 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I was reading an ESPN article on the fall of the XFL and it got me wondering, do we know if Vince has ever considered buying the Harlem Globetrotters or any of the "On Ice" type stuff? I'd think that would fit their traditional business model and logistics better than football. Same arenas, same trucks/lighting, etc. 

I read a really great story recently on prowrestlingstories about Vince promoting a failed Evel Kinevel jump, but I think that's the closest he's come (unless he did anything when he owned that building in Maine when Sr. was still alive, but I don't really know enough about that time period)