DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 10: Woodley vs. Burns (05/30/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EYvDXR7XYAAIsLS.jpeg?1590329239

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 10: Woodley vs. Burns 
May 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Tyron Woodley (170.5) vs. Gilbert Burns (170.5) - Burns, DEC (unanimous)
Blagoy Ivanov (255.5) vs. Augusto Sakai (259.5) - Sakai, DEC (split)
Billy Quarantillo (149.5) vs. Spike Carlyle (150) - Quarantillo, DEC (unanimous)
Roosevelt Roberts (156) vs. Brok Weaver (157.5)* - Roberts, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:26)
Mackenzie Dern (115.5) vs. Hannah Cifers (115.5) - Dern, SUB (kneebar), R1 (2:36)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Katlyn Chookagian (126) vs. Antonina Shevchenko (125.5) - Chookagian, DEC (unanimous)
Gabriel Green (170.5) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (170) - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)
Jamahal Hill (205.5) vs. Klidson Abreu (206) - Hill, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:51)
Tim Elliott (126) vs. Brandon Royval (125.5) - Royval, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:18)
Louis Smolka (136) vs. Casey Kenney (136) - Kenney, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (3:03)
Chris Gutierrez (145.5) vs. Vince Morales (145.5) - Gutierrez, TKO (low kicks), R2 (4:27)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Mackenzie Dern
Performance of the Night: Gilbert Burns
Fight of the Night: Tim Elliott vs. Brandon Royval

Rating: 1.02 million viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Kevin Holland vs. Daniel Rodriguez - Injury to Holland (Shoulder)

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Did they ever work out if the Main event will be Welterweight or Middleweight? 

It will be interesting to see if Dern makes Weight this time and how she looks in this fight. It would be a big win if Antonia could beat Chookagian. 

3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Did they ever work out if the Main event will be Welterweight or Middleweight? 

It will be interesting to see if Dern makes Weight this time and how she looks in this fight. It would be a big win if Antonia could beat Chookagian. 

It looks like the main event will be contested at welterweight.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

I guess it's unfair to say a card with Louis Smolka can be a one fight show because that dude always seems to be in fun scraps but this sure feels like a one fight card. We'll see if Dern is any better after so much time off. 

Tyron Woodley's opening vid is the best.  Going to Thailand to hone his striking just reminds me of all of the pro wrestlers that went to "the Orient" to bring back a new finisher like the Asian Spike.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Louis Smolka is one of the biggest underachievers in UFC history. Despite this, I will never forget the one time he hit the Sweet Chin Music on a dude in a real fight. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Louis Smolka is one of the biggest underachievers in UFC history. Despite this, I will never forget the one time he hit the Sweet Chin Music on a dude in a real fight. 

Poor Richie Vaculik has been a meme ever since.

I am digging the grappling clinic going on between Elliott and Royval.

Welcome to the UFC, Brandon Royval.  Elliott overscrambled and killed his own gas tank..

That interview was number one and the best.  "Man, I'm trying to make money out here.  I'm not trying to go to work tomorrow."

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Tim Elliott is not exactly the best fighter, but he's tough as all get out. That's a hell of a win for a dude who was in just in LFA and been there for like 2 years+.

• Like 1

Hill wins the battle of dudes with horrible tattoos.  Winners in the prelims are gunning hard for that $50K bonus.  Impressed with all of the finishes so far.

I am happy for the guy, but do you really want to be the guy that draws the attention of crazy AF Halle Berry?

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Tim Elliott is not exactly the best fighter, but he's tough as all get out. That's a hell of a win for a dude who was in just in LFA and been there for like 2 years+.

Elliott is a solid guy.  I think he overgrappled and overextended his gas tank.  For a guy that claimed to be a striker at the end of the day, I was impressed with Royval's gruond game against a guy like Elliott who wants the fight to go to the mat.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Hill wins the battle of dudes with horrible tattoos. 

I was going to turn it to CNN if and when the fight got slow, but Hill almost ends the fight like ten seconds in. Abreu kinda recovers only to get finished less than ninety seconds later. Hey, what do I know?

Winners in the prelims are gunning hard for that $50K bonus.  Impressed with all of the finishes so far.

I was discussing the smaller Octagon with someone earlier this year in the Wrestling folder. Seeing as they brought it back for this show (and I'm guessing most or all of the upcoming shows at the APEX), this is a point in their favor.

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Chookagian in proper pro wrestling fashion sends a message to another fighter by beating up a family member.

At least the Klitschko brothers understood to do it the other way around: You beat one brother, you have to fight the other so he can get revenge.

Also, surprised that's the first leglock submission in the history of women in the UFC. Then again, Mackenzie Dern is like 350% better on the ground than roughly 95% of women that have ever fought in the UFC.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At least the Klitschko brothers understood to do it the other way around: You beat one brother, you have to fight the other so he can get revenge.

Also, surprised that's the first leglock submission in the history of women in the UFC. Then again, Mackenzie Dern is like 350% better on the ground than roughly 95% of women that have ever fought in the UFC.

Yeah, when Hannah went to the ground with Dern when Mackenzie grabbed her leg instead of stepping out and away, I was like, "Uh, oh." 

That was a pretty sick knee bar. Mackenzie just gator rolled her into positon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It saddens me that the two guys the most eager to beat the shit out of each other on this card are a black dude and a Native American.

Edited by J.T.

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It saddens me that the two guys the most eager to beat the shit out of each other on this card are a black dude and a Native American.

That's fighting for you. Last week, due to the renewed Tyson interest, I went back and watched the McNeeley PPV broadcast. The whole PPV is just bonkers and quintessential 90s . You have a pier six brawl breaking out after Miguel Ángel González vs. Lamar Murphy after a controversial decision where Murphy's trainer brings the streets of Overtown in Miami (where Murphy and his camp where from) to the MGM Grand Garden Arena and starts fighting people in the ring. Then, Jim Gray interviews Murphy and said trainer in the back and the trainer cuts an awesome fiery babyface promo. THAT'S JUST THE OPENER. You have the infamous Peter McNeeley comically awful stand ups. You have the ads for the Tyson vs. McNeeley fight pack. You get a hat, a shirt, and like a gym bag or mug to celebrate the return of Mike Tyson for the low, low retail price of $55.99(!) not including S&H. Between the opener and the Tyson-McNeeley fight (which was the third fight to be more friendly to East Coast viewers and Julian Jackson vs. Quincy Taylor is technically the "main event"), you have Bruce Seldon defending the WBA version of the heavyweight crown (and ultimately being lined up to fight Tyson) against Joe Hipp. Poor Joe Hipp, who is the supposedly first Native American to fight for the heavyweight title (although it's been disputed whether or not Jack Dempsey was of Cherokee ancestry), is coming in with an inflated record, a soft touch so Seldon can win, and just way too tough for his own good. Seldon opens up a large gash on Hipp's cheekbone that you can fit a regulation size NFL football through, and they stopped the fight late. If Don King wasn't looking for a Native American or ethnic gimmick to exploit, Hipp wouldn't even be on the card.

BTW Roosevelt Roberts is killing me in the post fight interview.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

BTW Roosevelt Roberts is killing me in the post fight interview.

I'm not sure which tattoos are worse:  Robert's BOUT MONEY or Hill's two thumbs up.

The Alpha Ginger has come to rumble, folks, but Billy Quarantillo and his awful cauliflower ear are not out of it yet.

And Spike just walks away before the horn and eats a shot to the back of his head!  This fight is fucking crazy!

Edited by J.T.