DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 5/20/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Here's what's on tap for tonight:

Rhea Ripley vs. Io Shirai

Interim Cruiserweight Tournament:

Kushida (2-0) vs. Drake Maverick (1-1)

Hijo Del Fantasma (1-1) vs. Akira Tozawa (2-0)

--

They haven't officially announced it as such, but the women's match appears to be for a title shot at Charlotte at Takeover: In Your House

Guest Edwin

Given how things have developed, I think it's safe to say Charlotte will interfere in the main event and it will lead to a three way match at TakeOver.

They also announced Karrion Kross would be having a match, so it seems like another squash and I wouldn't be surprised if it leads to a confrontation with Ciampa leading up to a match between them at TakeOver, too.

Thought this was probably one of the better efforts they've put on in the last few weeks.  Each segment built towards something and the Shotzi and Priest vignettes did their job.  Low point might have been Strong/Lumis being the weakest segment and the ending of the Io/Rhea match wasn't much in doubt.  The Takeover card is shaping up nicely and it seems like they'll have some leftover matches on tap.

Edited by nofuture

Johnny as Candice douchey hype man actually works well. Lee/Gargano will be more interesting than Lee's last few defenses though I really hope Johnny works that one as a sneaky piece of shit instead of the amazing wrestler stick he normally does.

Thought both CW tournament maches were solid though Drake/Kushida was the standout between the two. Dug Drake's struggle and how Kushida came off as the superior/stronger wrestler throughout despite his loss.

Shotzi's promo is the first I have ever really seen her speak about her character. I thought it worked out pretty well over despite a stupid line or two.

Rhea/Io was pretty good until the predictable ending which just felt kind of lazy more than anything else. Honestly, a decently done double dq or double count out would have been more interesting.

Edited by Eivion

I continue to be in love with Shotzi and her Tank Girl gimmick.

Kushida vs Drake was fucking awesome!  Shida got to look like a technical wizard and shed his usual role as tiny guy relying on quickness and Drake is about as convincing of an underdog as you can get.  Too bad we know that Drake will fucking lose since he got released.

Edited by J.T.

49 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Why was it that Fantismo advanced in the tournament over Tozawa when they both are at 2-1, yet the others in Group A with the 2-1 record will have a triple threat to see who advances? 

I'm guessing the Head to Head victory would be the tiebreaker.  When you've got 3 people at 2-1, H2H is out.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Why was it that Fantismo advanced in the tournament over Tozawa when they both are at 2-1, yet the others in Group A with the 2-1 record will have a triple threat to see who advances? 

Fantismo holds a head to head advantage over Tozawa hence he advances to the finals. On the other hand, no one holds a head to head advantage in Group A since Drake beat Kushida but lost to Atlas and Atlas beat Drake but lost to Kushida. In previous weeks they had done a better job explaining things by pointing out people that could only play "spoiler" since they were mathematically eliminated but I think they probably went light on the details to help set up the three way.

That said they could have given it a little bit more time to breathe instead of having Byron come in with the announcement so quickly.

Yeah this tournament has been working under regular BOSJ/G1/CC/5*GP rules. Honestly, I like it though its a concept a bit foreign to WWE fans as most have likely never experienced any of those Japanese tournaments.

• Like 1

Kross' suplexes are so freakin brutal.

Shotzi comes off like early NXT, which I don't mind... just sticks out a lot.

Strong shows again just how much of a freakin stud he is, the guy works well with anyone.

I freakin love the Interim Cruiserweight Title!!! The storytelling in the Kushida/Maverick was freakin top notch, made the match a MOTY contender for me. Kushida came off like the Terminator, the way Mav sold it.

If Gargano runs around karaokeing people's theme song... he's legit gonna become the top heel easily.

Shirai looked so tiny compared to Ripley but they both made it look so believable.

biRyMw8.jpg

Edited by turk128

21 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

Fantismo holds a head to head advantage over Tozawa hence he advances to the finals. On the other hand, no one holds a head to head advantage in Group A since Drake beat Kushida but lost to Atlas and Atlas beat Drake but lost to Kushida. In previous weeks they had done a better job explaining things by pointing out people that could only play "spoiler" since they were mathematically eliminated but I think they probably went light on the details to help set up the three way.

That said they could have given it a little bit more time to breathe instead of having Byron come in with the announcement so quickly.

This. They said early on that H2H was the tiebreaker, and then there was a promo a week or two ago where Jake Atlas was pulling for Drake, because Drake beating Kushida was his only hope of advancing. 

On 5/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm guessing the Head to Head victory would be the tiebreaker.  When you've got 3 people at 2-1, H2H is out.  

Not really related to the show, but a couple years ago, there were 3 volleyball tournaments I played in where I didn't get out of pool play due to a 3 way tie and they went to point differential for the tie breaker.

I think Loomis doing his thing in a empty arena helps him. You know Full Sail would have some stupid chant going for him.

The visual of Rhea towering over Io was great, then you get the visual of Charlotte towering over both.

• Like 1