DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 9: Overeem vs. Harris (5/16/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Song landed the better shots in round 2 but yeah that was a bit of a gift for sure. Vera outsmarted Song in the final round, so maybe showing a bit more nous as he develops is something he and his team can work on. 

That Randleman video package was one of their better ones I've seen. Damn. ?

• Like 2

Just now, Oyaji said:

Song landed the better shots in round 2 but yeah that was a bit of a gift for sure. Vera outsmarted Song in the final round, so maybe showing a bit more nous as he develops is something he and his team can work on. 

Maybe you can chalk it up to the current conditions (the man did say that two weeks he was eating as if he didn't have a fight) and big step up in opposition, but there are going to be guys who can stand up to his firepower. Even though this was fight was at featherweight, that's what hurt a guy like Tom Duquesnoy at 135. Duquesnoy smashed his first UFC opponent in solid regional/fringe UFC fighter Patrick Williams, lost to an under the radar prospect in Cody Stamann, and then got a big gift over the tough Terrion Ware before retiring out of the blue. I think Song Yadong can have a better run than Duquesnoy because I think he has natural athleticism that Duquesnoy didn't have. However, the opposition at the level of Chito Vera and above is gonna ask him the answer similar questions about himself.

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That Randleman video package was one of their better ones I've seen. Damn. ?

It was tremendous. Man, they are on their A game tonight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe you can chalk it up to the current conditions (the man did say that two weeks he was eating as if he didn't have a fight) and big step up in opposition, but there are going to be guys who can stand up to his firepower. Even though this was fight was at featherweight, that's what hurt a guy like Tom Duquesnoy at 135. Duquesnoy smashed his first UFC opponent in solid regional/fringe UFC fighter Patrick Williams, lost to an under the radar prospect in Cody Stamann, and then got a big gift over the tough Terrion Ware before retiring out of the blue. I think Song Yadong can have a better run than Duquesnoy because I think he has natural athleticism that Duquesnoy didn't have. However, the opposition at the level of Chito Vera and above is gonna ask him the answer similar questions about himself.

I think with his power, hand speed, and general athleticism at age 22, the sky is the limit. I don't think he's ready for any top 10 bantamweights yet though. It'd be nice if he could maybe show a bit more defense, because if he can get in and out without constantly taking shots he could be a champion. And yeah, he gassed in the third. Don't think I've seen that before from him.

Random thought perhaps spurred by a bigger central European fighter fighting, but I really can't wait for Jiri Prochazka to debut. With how top heavy that division is in the UFC, I could see him being a title threat within a year of his first fight.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I think Jotko takes that fight but I saw a lot of improvement in Anders's fight game as well as his cardio.  Good effort from both guys.

Jotko 2:  Electric Boogaloo.

Edited by J.T.

I think Anders has solved the inactivity part somewhat. Now, if he would work on his overall strategy and cutting off the cage. Too many times his opponents are just out of range. Everyone who goes against him have read the book on him. They're thinking "If I just stick and move, he's going to follow me and/or try to go into the clinch when he gets frustrated". 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Anders has solved the inactivity part somewhat. Now, if he would work on his overall strategy and cutting off the cage. Too many times his opponents are just out of range. Everyone who goes against him have read the book on him. They're thinking "If I just stick and move, he's going to follow me and/or try to go into the clinch when he gets frustrated". 

Anders biggest problem is that he's not really good at anything.  He's a big, strong, and athletic guy, who is competitive because of those traits.  He's not much of a wrestler, he's not much of a striker, his grappling isn't great...but he's everything you'd want athletically so it kind of works out.

• Like 2

Another decision I don't agree with.  I don't see how you give Ige either of the first two rounds.  Even though the rounds were close, Barboza dropping him should give him the edge.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Another decision I don't agree with.  I don't see how you give Ige either of the first two rounds.  Even though the rounds were close, Barboza dropping him should give him the edge.  

He kept hurting Ige, who to his credit gutted it out. I'm not sure how you can give that fight to Dan Ige at all. And I love Dan Ige.

• Like 2

Casey won with a sweet armbar and looked great at 125. I think she might have found her division since it will be much easier to make weight. 

Elkins busted out the NWA crimson Mask and Nate the Train broke out the NWA Style Promo Very fitting for them being in Jacksonville. 

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Claudia Gadelha has underarm tattoos that seem like the most unecessary tattoos of all time.

She is very much a product of her country. 

• Haha 1

Hopefully, Claudia stays with Mark Henry, Nick Catone, and Ricardo Almeida.

In three years, she has bounced from Pennsylvania, to New Mexico, to Las Vegas, back to New Mexico, and now to New Jersey. She should stay put there. Even with the knockdown, this is the best Claudia has looked since coming to the US.

She looked like she was withering a bit in the third, but she still threw heavy leather.  I know bad things can happen when you chase KOs but Angie should've let her hands go even more after she spun Claudia around with that hook.  A busted up Claudia is still dangerous.  You need to finish that fight. 

Has the Demolition Man ever walked out to Demolition Man?  The Police original or the Grace Jones cover?

I love the shoulder bump of mutual respect and bro love but after the bell rings, someone is getting knocked the fuck out.

Edited by J.T.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Has the Demolition Man ever walked out to Demolition Man?  The Police original or the Grace Jones cover?

I love the shoulder bump of mutual respect and bro love but after the bell rings, someone is getting knocked the fuck out.

I'm still mad that Overeem stopped carrying the hammer.

• Like 1