DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

I really loved MJF/Jungle Boy. Was a good mixture of old and new with lots of intensity mixed in. Mike Tyson befuddled by Lance Archer beating up a dude as an entrance was definitely memorable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stadium Stampede was everything MITB wanted to be and more.  So many great bits.  This match will birth a thousand memes.  

I think Matt Hardy found his perfect foil in Ortiz, a man who will vibrate like a cartoon character if you ring a bell near him.

The One Winged Angel at the end was gonzo.  Even with the obvious WWE Black Box crash pad, the height they dropped from was crazy.  Sammy is a nut for taking that.

The assisted Buckshot needs to become a regular thing that Kenny & Hangman do in their matches.

• Like 6

MJF/Jungle Boy was fantastic.  I thought it was the best of the straight wrestling matches tonight.  Felt like a breakthrough for both of them.  These guys are going to be wrestling each other for the next 20 years, and it’s going to be scary good.

Runner up was Shida/Nyla.  Shida has really proven herself as the workhorse of the division over the past few months, and she delivered again here.  At this point, she is acutely aware of what her best stuff is and knows how to use it, and doesn’t waste time with shit she isn’t good at.  Nyla was good and aggressive in this, but it was really all about Shida chopping her down over the course of the match.  Felt very Bret-esque, to me.

And their brawling segments were so thoughtfully done that they kind of made Moxley/Brodie’s brawling segments look aimless and kinda shitty by comparison.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Damn. Just damn. There was good all the way through this. The Ladder match was insanity, but the Brian Cage debut rang out. Would've been about 871x better with a crowd. 

MJF and Jungle Boy are both future cornerstones. In 5 years they're gonna be in main events.

Shida felt like the right choice. 

I felt like the story Mox told was that he wanted his fucking belt back. Brodie Lee was game. Let's get these guys away from each other and let each of them move to a program they can build to.

Stadium Stampede was balls to the wall insanity. The Inner Circle entrance was the balls. The balls and the taint, really. It was dope. Hager cleaning the bar with Page was a fun nod to the spaghetti westerns I watched as a kid. Let's not overlook that ADAM PAGE TRIED TO RUN SAMMY DOWN WITH A GODDAM HORSE. That was everything cinematic wrestling can be, and I mean that in the best way. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

MJF and Jungle Boy are both future cornerstones. In 5 years they're gonna be in main events.

That would require them actually having Jungle Boy win a big match on occasion.

Edited by Southside Jim

I did really like the finish to Moxley/Brodie, though.  Everything from the stage dive onwards really put over Mox as a killer and Brodie as dude who’s tough to kill.  Everything up until then just kinda meandered for me, though.  But Moxley matches can do that.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Even though I really liked this show, I can't help but think that this would have been amazing with a live crowd.

I think the stadium match had just the right amount of goofy to it.

Happy to see Shida win, I think @EVA has it right about her, she knows what to do and when. It'll be nice to see how the fill the Baker void on the show, looks like an opportunity for someone to get more time on TV.

I got the feeling the Tyson wasn't exactly sure what he should do and that he didn't want to mix it up since he may have been worried about giving someone a full shot.

Dug the MJF/JB match I have to assume MJF will bark up Moxley's tree next.

Excited to see Archer's next move and glad that Cody actually won a blow match that doesn't involve Darby.

Ladder match was OK. when someone posted here that Cage was cleared, I thought he might be the Wild Card. He didn't move too great though so I hope he's actually ok. I'd guess him and Darby will feud for a bit. 

I've spent $50 on much worse before.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

That would require them actually having Jungle Boy win a big match on occasion.

He's practically a rookie. It's okay for young wrestlers to lose. It doesn't mean they're burying them. They learn from their losses and grow. It's been a year and he was heavily featured in a match with the champion in which he stood tall at the end and he's in one of the more over tag teams they have. He will be fine. MJF should keep beating him so it can become A Thing when Jungle Boy finally gets the win. It's storytelling. Darby, MJF, and Jungle Boy are all being slowly built up for big things over the next two years. It would feel cheap if they all started winning without going through adversity as young largely unknown wrestlers, hence why it's the heel MJF cheating to get the big wins early. Jungle Boy is the least ready of the three but he's coming on quickly. Still gotta master playing the James Dean cool dewd routine a bit better especially on the mic and maybe be a bit more consistent in the ring and he's golden. *JIM ROSS* AND GROW INTO HIS BODY, FOLKS */JIM ROSS*

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Main event was indeed incredible, definitely lived up to the hype. Loved Broken Matt's Lake of Reincarnation. Amazing finish. The return of the golf cart was great. Guessing it will be the elite/inner circle blowoff instead of Blood & Guts. Definitely a memorable one. 

Really loved Hikaru/Nyla and marked out for Shida getting the win. Did not expect that at all as I figured Nyla was in for a long run. Finishing stretch was awesome stuff. Thought the Super Falcon Arrow was great and could be the finish but wasn't, then Nyla blocking the running knee with the kendo stick but Shida comes back and hits anyway then one more for the win. Loved it. Great moment for Shida, very well deserved. 

Hoping Britt's injury is less severe than initially thought with the way they talked about it tonight and hyping up her addressing it on Dynamite. That last Britt/Hikaru match was one of my favorites this year.

Thought Moxley/Lee was pretty boring until the finish ramped things up. Enjoyed Cody/Archer, surprised it went on so early. Some cool spots and the finish ruled. Penelope/Kris was solid. MJF/Jungle was very good. Ladder match was a bit of a cluster but cool debut for Cage even though he got knocked out for quite awhile and a nice use of Taz. Overall thought it was an excellent PPV, surpassed expectations in the circumstances.

• Like 3

Khan just said on the media scrum that they expect Britt back in 6-8 weeks.  That seems pretty optimistic to me, but I guess we’ll see.  Just in time to build her up for a title match at All Out, if true.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

The whole show was worth every bit of the $40 I spent on it (thanks $10 Google credit!).

I thought the opening ladder match was pretty good, but could someone please talk Darby out of killing himself 1 minute into nearly half of his matches. Jesus Christ, that kid is going to fucking die out there one of these days. Brian Cage as the surprise entrant was enough of a surprise and I wonder where they go with him having the chip, MJF seemingly being next in line for the world title, etc.

Cody vs Archer was really good up until some of the overbooking at the end. Every Cody match tells a story, but I felt they could have told a better story without the managers getting tossed, Jake coming back out, and then Cody winning with two more Crossroads. I'm happy Cody won and felt that was the right move.

I don't know what the plan was leading up to Shida vs Rose, but after what happened with Hana, I thought that Shida would win. That match was fucking great. I loved it. I think it's maybe the best Shida has looked, her Tifa inspired gear was great, she really brought it, Rose hung in there and brought it as well, and they told a tremendous story. I teared up with Shida winning.

I liked Moxley vs Lee a lot. It was stiff as fuck with each guy dropping bombs on the other. Moxley showed he'll damn near kill a man to get his title back, Lee was the perfect opponent for that style of match and made Moxley look good in the process. I really do hope they start to disband the Dark Order though. Like, I don't care if Lee, Silver, and Reynolds are a trio until Uno and Grayson can return, but the Dark Order should be done with.

Fucking LOVED MJF vs Jungle Boy. There are some matches you watch where you get a strong sense of what the future looks like and the future looks like these two tearing it up on top in the years to come.

The Stadium Stampede was everything I wanted it to be and then some. At first I was a little worried with the wrestlers congregating around and in the ring. They quickly got away from it and that's when that match became one of the best and damnedest things I've ever seen. So much good shit. Matt Jackson giving Sammy locomotion Northern Lights Suplexes for 100 yds, the whole pool bit with Hardy and PnP, Ortiz and the bell, Page sauntering out with the line sprayer and spraying over Jericho, Matt and Kenny AGAIN trying to run down Sammy in the golf cart, Page on a horse, and so much more. I can't wait to re-watch that match.

AEW never disappoints with their PPVs. I don't think there's been one time where I felt my money went to waste. My only gripe is that this would have been amazing with a crowd. 

• Like 5

The ladder match had some spirited moments, but was marred by the requisite overbooking and bad timing.  Darby looked like an idiot standing half way up the ladder waiting for Cage to enter.  So dumb.  I'm not sure I care at all about Brian Cage or Captain Lou.  He just looks so lame in that gear.  I also look at him and just think roids.  Am I wrong?  There was something about the way he was working here that felt soft or flat and nowhere near as crushing as commentary was trying to put over.  The literal burying of him and then re-emergence was very goofy. 

The pre-ladder match promo package was really good here.

MJeff-Jungle Boy was good solid action.  Cringed at MJef's obvious quick instructions to Jungle Jack before the poison rana.  But boy was that deadly.  I'm completely fine with this finish and the slow build of Jungle Boy, but I think they oughta start giving him some wins soon.  He keeps delivering but seems a bit too aimless right now.  And he's far too good to be aimless.  

Statlander-Ford was fine, but this kind of stuff does not need to be on PPV.  Dustin-Spears same - tho, thankfully it was brief.  Tully on the tights, yeah.  A bit embarrassing to watch with company.

Shida-Rose was also really good.  Solid effort and result.  That said this match had some big spots that ought to have been sold as such.

Cody-Archer was pretty good.  I liked the blackout/rollout to begin.  Dug the Arn interference and ejection.   However, the Roberts ejection didn't make much sense.  I'm happy with that finish.  I didn't hear them say this was not the finished TNT belt and spent most of the match thinking how cheap the title looked.  Did I see Mike Tyson yawning at one point there?   

Brodie-Mox was also good.  Loved the finish.  Please somebody save Brodie Lee from this horrible gear.  What the fuck was that?  It just gets worse and worse.  He's too good in the ring and on the mic to look so substandard. AEW please hire somebody to fix this problem with tacky gear.   

Stadium Stampede, yeah.  Matt Hardy is wearing on my patience with the magical costume changes, the 'hilarious' drone, etc.  Fuck off please. This match was a bit too BTE goofy for my tastes.  That said, I really liked the Hager-Page with Omega bar section.  The finish was an impressive jump, but I find these gimmicked stunt spots kinda lame.  

I really wanted to like this, but it felt like a 4 hour plus slog.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1