DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Mommie Dearest - 5/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'd love for Seth to pull a Mac from Always Sunny and gain 50 lbs and develop a Dad Bod over the next few weeks/months as he starts to lose focus in the ring because he's busy at home preparing for the upcoming birth of his child. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I'd love for Seth to pull a Mac from Always Sunny and gain 50 lbs and develop a Dad Bod over the next few weeks/months as he starts to lose focus in the ring because he's busy at home preparing for the upcoming birth of his child. 

Someone on the writing staff probably has a comedy pitch to Vince of Becky and Seth going to, say, Bye Bye Baby and Seth getting incredibly confused as we walks through the aisles.

Seth with a "Dad Bod" insulting his opponents with "Dad jokes" would be very Vince ...

Congrats to Becky and Seth -- they'll be awesome parents. Although I'm going to miss the opportunity of seeing Asuka taking the MITB briefcase everywhere she goes on her YT page. 

I'm just catching up on the youtubes but did they just show Rey Mysterio's face.  WTF.

Also, re: Becky - how many months pregnant is she?  Was she pregnant at Wrestlemania?  Did she know she was pregnant?  If she's pregnant, shouldn't she have never stepped foot in the Performance Center? 

I guess we'll get to see her natural hair color now? 

Lynch has said her due date is sometime in December … she's probably 6-9 weeks pregnant at the moment. 

My wife and I found out she was expecting when she was six weeks along -- she randomly took a pregnancy test one Saturday afternoon and it said YES (Given our struggles with fertility previously, she used up every pregnancy test in the house between the first test and our previously scheduled appointment with a fertility doctor that Monday. 11 pregnancy tests and a doctor checkup confirmed the good news ? ).

Pregnancy symptoms tend to kick in (per the doctors we dealt with) around the second month -- an ultrasound can detect a heartbeat around 6-7 weeks. WrestleMania was taped March 25-26, so she may have been pregnant, but it was too early in the process for her (or anyone else for that matter) to notice. (Another interview I saw said she "found out in April," so I'm guessing the happy news happened before they started taping Raw at the PC again).

• Like 4

Happy for Lynch and, honestly, this is the BEST time to step away from the ring for all the obvious reasons. However, there's a good chance the WWE is gonna be pissed off at this. 

A due date in December, plus let's say six months after - and if all goes well you can have large gatherings in August 2021 - then a Lynch comeback at SummerSlam could be a huge, huge event, however.

Also, not to be a downer - but has the Lynch title run been a flop? The Mania main event underwhelmed. She never got the blowoff with Rousey. I like Lacey fine but that was too soon for a main event feud.

The angle with Seth was somehow not the worst thing to kill off his career but was still terrible. The Banks feud was fine with a great HITC match but fizzled out too soon. There were the disastrous back to back main events at Survivor Series and TLC. The last few months have been okay though. 

I dunno - she's great but that's a lot of bad angles and bad matches there. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 1

I will say this much. I think it's funny as fuck that Becky is pregnant and everyone is heaping praise on her and she's so happy and everything.

Meanwhile, EVERYONE, heels and faces, seem to be shitting on Seth and Seth looks completely miserable. 

So far, it's the most interesting thing WWE has started in a long while. Unfortunately, given their track record with ANYTHING nuanced, I have my doubts it's even a storyline or it will go anywhere cool. For now though, they have my attention. I have no idea where it's going and there's so many directions they could take this that would be good, but again, it's WWE, so my expectations are ultra low.

I can almost guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that at some point they'll throw a diaper party (the dad to be's version of a baby shower) and it will be lame and corny as fuck and end up with a cake being thrown at Seth and Seth either dodging it and the cake hitting Buddy or it will hit them both.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

Happy for Lynch and, honestly, this is the BEST time to step away from the ring for all the obvious reasons. However, there's a good chance the WWE is gonna be pissed off at this. 

A due date in December, plus let's say six months after - and if all goes well you can have large gatherings in August 2021 - then a Lynch comeback at SummerSlam could be a huge, huge event, however.

Also, not to be a downer - but has the Lynch title run been a flop? The Mania main event underwhelmed. She never got the blowoff with Rousey. I like Lacey fine but that was too soon for a main event feud.

The angle with Seth was somehow not the worst thing to kill off his career but was still terrible. The Banks feud was fine with a great HITC match but fizzled out too soon. There were the disastrous back to back main events at Survivor Series and TLC. The last few months have been okay though. 

I don't think it can be considered a flop because if I'm not mistaken Becky is one of the very few things that moves ratings in a positive direction and she still moves merch. She's been a draw this entire time. Critically though? I think her storylines have largely been garbage and it would have been better to program her against Asuka earlier on.

Let me put it another way...I think people/fans are going to really miss Becky Lynch similar to how Cena was missed when it was apparent he was distancing himself from WWE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I will say this much. I think it's funny as fuck that Becky is pregnant and everyone is heaping praise on her and she's so happy and everything.

Meanwhile, EVERYONE, heels and faces, seem to be shitting on Seth and Seth looks completely miserable. 

So far, it's the most interesting thing WWE has started in a long while. Unfortunately, given their track record with ANYTHING nuanced, I have my doubts it's even a storyline or it will go anywhere cool. For now though, they have my attention. I have no idea where it's going and there's so many directions they could take this that would be good, but again, it's WWE, so my expectations are ultra low.

I can almost guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that at some point they'll throw a diaper party (the dad to be's version of a baby shower) and it will be lame and corny as fuck and end up with a cake being thrown at Seth and Seth either dodging it and the cake hitting Buddy or it will hit them both.

Seth being miserable has nothing to do with being a father. Its related to him failing as the Messiah he has been selling himself as for months after he lost to Drew. maybe they tie in to Becky's pregnancy, but I would prefer they don't.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Its been a mixed bag. The stuff with Sasha was good-great match wise and solid story wise. The issue there was that Becky winning and continuing on was just kind of dumb with Sasha coming back and feeling so hot and fresh compared to before. They also failed to do Becky/Bayley in that time frame which would have made sense seeing as how a big part of Bayley's heel run has been feeling pushed aside by fans and the company for Becky despite being a good champ herself.

The stuff this year with Asuka was solid. As was the stuff with Shayna. Matches with both delivered.

The feud with Lacey was the true low point. Lacey was not ready for that type of focus. It went on way too long. And they forced the relationship with Seth into focus when no on really wanted that.

The reign has not been a flop, but it wasn't nearly as good as it probably should have been. Probably would have helped tremendously if WWE didn't destroy and ignore so much of the women's roster in favor of pushing Becky, Rousey, and Charlotte the previous year to build up the Wrestlemania main event. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

So I guess they explained that when Corbin threw Rey and Black off the roof, they fell a few feet and landed on a second roof.

How did the announcers call that during the MitB match?  Did they explain that at the time, or were viewers supposed to assume that the wrestlers plummeted to their death?

(I'm assuming most people didn't actually believe they fell to their death.)

Rey had a rough 24 stretch there.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Based on what Shayna said about Seth Rollins here, I can almost see that happening.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Rey stopped cutting a promo to congratulate Seth and tell him how wonderful it was.

5 hours ago, Hagan said:

I dunno.  If they were pissed off I don't think they would hype Becky's announcement; spend an entire segment around her thanking/praising the fans and revealing her pregnancy; have the announcers talk about the moments and congratulate her; do a backstage segment where people congratulate Becky; and build a match around Nattie going after Shayna for her disrespectful comments about said pregnancy and do a recap and replay of Becky's announcement.

If Vince/WWE were ticked off at her, they would have just had a quick announcement about Becky (Probably not even show her) vacating the title and quickly moved on to the next thing.

Look, I'm not trying to portray Vince/WWE as some sort of saintly employers, but pregnancy is something they've clearly never held against the majority of the workers: Brie was given time off then brought back with no punishment; other women went away while pregnant and came back whenever (Trish Stratus, Rosa Mendes, Maryse, Miz got to announce his new baby on TV as a fan-friendly moment; I'm sure there were others); and even the whole deal with Kharma seemed like they were pretty understanding with her/unwilling to "punish" her upon her return/giving her a showcase moment in the RR.

Now, what would be a really interesting thing would be if a WWE male wrestler asked for paternity leave, to see how he is portrayed upon his return to WWE.  I'm thinking it would be something like Mike Bennett.  WWE are far from alone in having that antiquated mindset, though; just go listen to any sports radio when baseball players take paternity  leave.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Rey stopped cutting a promo to congratulate Seth and tell him how wonderful it was.

Did you not see Rey call him a dick right after?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

I dunno.  If they were pissed off I don't think they would hype Becky's announcement; spend an entire segment around her thanking/praising the fans and revealing her pregnancy; have the announcers talk about the moments and congratulate her; do a backstage segment where people congratulate Becky; and build a match around Nattie going after Shayna for her disrespectful comments about said pregnancy and do a recap and replay of Becky's announcement.

If Vince/WWE were ticked off at her, they would have just had a quick announcement about Becky (Probably not even show her) vacating the title and quickly moved on to the next thing.

Look, I'm not trying to portray Vince/WWE as some sort of saintly employers, but pregnancy is something they've clearly never held against the majority of the workers: Brie was given time off then brought back with no punishment; other women went away while pregnant and came back whenever (Trish Stratus, Rosa Mendes, Maryse, Miz got to announce his new baby on TV as a fan-friendly moment; I'm sure there were others); and even the whole deal with Kharma seemed like they were pretty understanding with her/unwilling to "punish" her upon her return/giving her a showcase moment in the RR.

Now, what would be a really interesting thing would be if a WWE male wrestler asked for paternity leave, to see how he is portrayed upon his return to WWE.  I'm thinking it would be something like Mike Bennett.  WWE are far from alone in having that antiquated mindset, though; just go listen to any sports radio when baseball players take paternity  leave.

So are you saying...WWE is NOT pissed off at Becky...but they are pissed off at Roman Reigns? 

6 minutes ago, caley said:

Apparently I did not, haha. I must have zoned out/turned the channel after he congratulated him.

You should go back and watch it if you can. I almost feel bad for spoiling it because it was really funny. It was all in Rey's delivery. Just watch to the end of that interview.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's Heyman.

Becky will announce that it's not Seth's baby. Rollins will immediately attack Murphy before Lynch screeches that it's not his either. It's Drew's. McIntyre beats up Rollins all over the empty Performance Center. Since it's Raw, they will show a replay of the angle 9 more times throughout the evening. The night closes with a Drew promo next to Becky in bed at an Orlando Days Inn. 

• Like 1