DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Wait a goddamned minute.  So, the first DLC released, the 40 Years of Wrestlemania... ISN'T PART OF THE SEASON PASS?  And costs $20????  Get the fuck out of here.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Wait a goddamned minute.  So, the first DLC released, the 40 Years of Wrestlemania... ISN'T PART OF THE SEASON PASS?  And costs $20????  Get the fuck out of here.

It's the equivalent of the NWO pack from 22 and Ruthless Aggression pack from 23, they just didn't have it ready at launch day to make it obvious, for some dumbass reason. At least it's all alt versions and not actual new people like the packs in the season pass.

• Like 1

It's impossible to miss, but locker code WRESTLEMANIAXL gets you Cody and Bayley cards and a pack of skill boosters. A big step down from last year's offering, which had 2 packs of the Wrestlemania cards. The entire life of MyFaction has been 2k Games saying "well, we gave them too much good shit for free and so they spent less money." In 22, every DLC character got an Evolution card, which meant you could grind them out over time and not feel tempted to spend real money. Last year, they were cut back to non-grindable cards but were mostly good enough to get you thru all the content for the first 6 months. This year, all the options, both RMT and earned currency, are way more expensive, the free cards are lower tier, and for the first time it's entirely possible to save earned points for 2 weeks, buy a limited edition booster, and not get any of the limited edition characters. I really want Shield Rollins and Toy Hogan, but I feel more and more like I'm gonna tap out before those things are winnable.

Fucking around in Universe continues, and I noticed something that isn't huge in the grand scheme but is the right kind of dumb to piss me off: i booked a match between Fallon Henley and Ivy Nile, and both of them brought their tag teams with them (the roster having been finalized before Briggs and Brooks broke up.) In both cases, the trio came out as though it was a tag match--the men's music and chyron, Alicia announcing the men, the women doing their "manager" entrances instead of their "combatant" ones. 

Finished the "Unleashed" story. The final act really wanted to bring some genuine emotion, but really did not earn it. I'm also annoyed that only the men's story unlocks the unique Wrestlemania set--the women's final boss fight just happens at WM39. Oh well, at least I got a few neat costume pieces and the fictional indy arenas from last year. Game goes on the shelf for a while now, I'm a little wrestlinged out. 

Jamie Hayter DLC is out for Fight Forever today, for both of us still playing.

Been playing a lot of KOC2 on the Steam deck and I still love it as much as I did 20 years ago.

• Like 3

Retro wrestling games what didn't age very well report:

WWF War Zone isn't very good, but I respect it. I think I said here that it was such a leap from the LJN games that I still have that residual feeling of, whoa, this looks way the hell better. It's a real graphical jump. You look at WWF RAW on 32X and then look at War Zone on PSOne and think to yourself, "Well, what the hell was the point of the 32X?" 

I do think War Zone is still playable...if you don't mind pausing the game to scroll the move list about fifty times per match. 

WWF Attitude: See WWF War Zone, with the added note that I love this roster, but that Head should have been screwed onto the top of a Head and Shoulders bottle (tm) a la KotR '98. 

WCW Mayhem: This isn't good, and it's a real bummer when your first unlocked wrestler ends up being *checks notes* Bobby Blaze, what the fuck?! There's a glimmer of something decent here, though.

Now, there is a rumor, and I don't know how true it is, that EA had enlisted AKI to make a new WCW game with a new engine after AKI finished up developing WWF No Mercy that ended up becoming Def Jam Vendetta. Can you imagine? I think Def Jam: Fight For New York is legit one of the greatest fighting games ever, so I'm glad we got that, but if WCW had lived, kept their deal with EA, and then we got a series of WCW games in the Vendetta engine, now that sounds like a good time, man. AJ Styles versus Crowbar in the Vendetta engine, hell yeah. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Retro wrestling games what didn't age very well report:

WWF War Zone isn't very good, but I respect it. I think I said here that it was such a leap from the LJN games that I still have that residual feeling of, whoa, this looks way the hell better. It's a real graphical jump. You look at WWF RAW on 32X and then look at War Zone on PSOne and think to yourself, "Well, what the hell was the point of the 32X?" 

I do think War Zone is still playable...if you don't mind pausing the game to scroll the move list about fifty times per match. 

WWF Attitude: See WWF War Zone, with the added note that I love this roster, but that Head should have been screwed onto the top of a Head and Shoulders bottle (tm) a la KotR '98. 

WCW Mayhem: This isn't good, and it's a real bummer when your first unlocked wrestler ends up being *checks notes* Bobby Blaze, what the fuck?! There's a glimmer of something decent here, though.

Now, there is a rumor, and I don't know how true it is, that EA had enlisted AKI to make a new WCW game with a new engine after AKI finished up developing WWF No Mercy that ended up becoming Def Jam Vendetta. Can you imagine? I think Def Jam: Fight For New York is legit one of the greatest fighting games ever, so I'm glad we got that, but if WCW had lived, kept their deal with EA, and then we got a series of WCW games in the Vendetta engine, now that sounds like a good time, man. AJ Styles versus Crowbar in the Vendetta engine, hell yeah. 

I've been wanting to pickup a ps1 sometime to play some of the old classics I still have like WarZone and I always had fun with Attitude back in the day.

Recently grabbed Mayhem for n64.  Definitely not very good but I love the crazy roster like Bobby Blaze! Also the only game to ever include Bobby Eaton (and Bobby Duncum Jr. too among others)

Only ever rented Def Jam, but would love to give that another go again. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 2:01 PM, SirSmUgly said:

It's actually true. 

I posted videos before of the games animations in action, so I'm doing it again 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXcOCalPWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhooeL3vPNg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The confusion online however, is that people mix up WCW 2000 and WCW Mayhem 2. Both were two different games. WCW 2000 was going to made by EA Canada, and Mayhem 2 was going to be made by AKI under EA. I think AKI redone all the animations for Def Jam.

WCW 2000 would just been the PS2 ported version of Backstage Assault.

https://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread/7803/wwf-backlash-n64-mayhem-2000

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1