DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

VPW2 moves that are not in WWF No Mercy (Taunts not included, yes some taunts are only in VPW2):

Rolling Wheel Kick 01

Double Underhook Front Face Pancake (Stevie Ray and Sick Boy's move)

Face Crusher (Back grapple)

Tumbling Side Flip 03
Tumbling Side Flip 04

Test of Strength: (removed)

Suplex
Jr Heavyweight counter

Revenge had that Goldberg neckbreaker. And a lucha cruiser counter I forgot what it is. And the Scott Hall's corner special the top rope Razor's Edge. Some leaping clothesline. Kidman's Tree of Woe kicks.

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I saw a random list of folks never in a WWF/WWE game and they were all late 80s/early 90s folks - Jannetty was definitely on that list. Another name I remember from it was Bob Backlund

EDIT - other names mentioned (no idea if true) were Rocky Johnson, Paul Orndorff, Dynamite Kid

Paul Orndorff was in MicroLeague Wrestling, which I guess most people missed since it was a Commodore 64 game.

Orndorff, plus Johnson and Dynamite, were also in Acclaim's Legends of Wrestling games (not a WWE game, but still). As was Bob Backlund. Marty Jannetty, though, was not.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

The boom of games in the late-1990s, as well as WWE games featuring a lot of talent over the last decade, took care of a lot of people you'd expect. Then the Acclaim Legends of Wrestling games in the mid-2000s helped out as well. New Japan's modern day roster being part of an officially licensed expansion pack in Fire Pro World takes care of them.

As it stands, your non-luchador answer may just be the Young Bucks, who haven't appeared in a game yet, and they become moot when AEW's game comes out.

I thought the Bucks were in one of the FPW DLCs but apparently not. I'd have to agree then they'd be the most popular non-lucha wrestlers to not be in a video game.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, Blue Dragon said:

Bob Backlund was gonna be in Smackdown 2 but was deleted with the 3 other legends. Long before HCTP introduced the legend wrestlers.

His stuff is left in. Have to use gameshark.

SD2_Bob_Backlund.png

He made it into WWE Supercard.

Paul Orndorff was in two WWE Mobile games and the European WWF game Micro League Wrestling.

Rick Martel was also in WWF Rage in the Cage.

"Dynamite Kid" was in some Firepros and VPW1 N64.

18 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Paul Orndorff was in MicroLeague Wrestling, which I guess most people missed since it was a Commodore 64 game.

Orndorff, plus Johnson and Dynamite, were also in Acclaim's Legends of Wrestling games (not a WWE game, but still). As was Bob Backlund. Marty Jannetty, though, was not.

Right, MicroLeague wasn’t just in Europe.  I had a bunch of them for the C64 and I live here in The Colonies.

Weren’t DK and Orndorff in the Legends of Wrestling games?  Those games were goofy as fuck.  Billy Graham hitting spinning Liger bombs and whatnot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never liked the LOW games. Terrible AI. Wrong Movesets.  

Showdown was buggy, crashy as hell. Someone on gamefaqs cloned the in-game wrestlers to just give them their right moves.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

hqdefault.jpg

Blows my mind that Jannetty never made it in to a game, never realized. 

I figured Backlund would've gotten in a 2K game after his HOF induction, since Bruno did and even Fujinami was in a few. Orndorff not even being in WWE's Legends of WrestleMania game is wild. There's quite a few that only ever made it in to Acclaimed's Legends of Wrestling series.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Rage in the Cage

22354_front.jpg8112320

DykvW0sUcAAcJl9.jpg

I had that at game!  Yes, I’m one of the morons who bought SegaCD.  Double moron, because I bought the 32x as well.  Game was really underwhelming.  Just a slightly better version of the Genesis and SNES games.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Does "Blues Bloody" from Exciting Hour count?

Great call!  There’s also a Brody knockoff in Sega’s Wrestle War arcade game.  Brody became such an archetype that any Japanese game with generic characters will typically have a Brody expy.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Not a modern guy by any stretch but has Bruiser Brody ever made it into any video game?

If we count the 'under a fake name' versions, he was the unlockable "Grizz Lee" in WCW vs the World

maxresdefault.jpg

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I had that at game!  Yes, I’m one of the morons who bought SegaCD.  Double moron, because I bought the 32x as well.  Game was really underwhelming.  Just a slightly better version of the Genesis and SNES games.

Only rented it here but I remember being mind blown at the time to see the real video clips and of course the Cage. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Have the Midnight Express been in any games?

According to cagematch.net Bobby Eaton was in WCW Mayhem. They list nothing for Dennis Condrey, Randy Rose, or Stan Lane.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Axed game

e41a9e_fd34d357e87e47bfb5e53580e9eeb432~

This game is what caused Ventura to leave the company in 1990.  Vince wouldn't allow him to do it because it wasn't a WWF licensed game, so Ventura left but the game never actually came out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

This game is what caused Ventura to leave the company in 1990.  Vince wouldn't allow him to do it because it wasn't a WWF licensed game, so Ventura left but the game never actually came out.

What's really weird/interesting is that, based off the leaked ROM, it was at least somewhat finished or at least well into production.

Wonder what the backstory is, but there may not be an interesting one, could have just been financing or someone realized it looked kinda bad and wouldn't sell.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
35 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Wonder what the backstory is, but there may not be an interesting one, could have just been financing or someone realized it looked kinda bad and wouldn't sell.

It's just a reskinned Thunder Pro Wrestling Retsuden, so really anything that would have been changed would have just been adding Jesse Ventura and translating the game to English.

There really isn't a backstory that's ever surfaced. DreamWorks is a near-mystery as a publisher. They only published a handful of Genesis games in 1990-1991 and vanished into the ether (there's talk that they were merged into Bandai that is unsubstantiated), so the most likely fate is that they ran out of money/got acquired by Bandai before being able to publish this game.