DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

• 2 weeks later...

Console game footage starts at 13:50. It's short. I am worried because it looks to me like there is little tension or weight to any of the moves or interactions. Snare Trap looked smooth though. Stuff like facial reactions will come in time so I'm not worried about No Mercy faces in submissions.

Edit: rewatching it over and over again like the nerd I am, and it seems like it's mostly just the springboard looking not so good. The rope barely moves and there's not a lot of springiness to his legs when he bounces. I do like how the rebound lariat of his is a running move or counter and not a canned animation by the looks of it, though I could be wrong. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Collision detection still looks off, but given that they're likely taking they're sweeeeeet ass time with this game, I'm not worried. It's not like it's going to release in 2021 anyway. Hell, at the rate AEW is signing talent, they're either going to have so many DLC packs, or the game isn't coming out until mid-to-late 2022 (which is what I expect).

I wonder if they'll charge for DLC content, if there is any. Aubrey was pretty adamant about not charging fans for new wrestlers for the mobile game during that panel at FanFest, I wonder if that carries over to the console game.

• Like 1

I'm also guessing the game probably isn't coming out until, what, All Out next year? I will say that I'm pretty dismayed by the new footage. I honestly liked the look of the game more during that Kenny and Jericho video, the first one. I wanted these guys to look more like action figures, which was how I always thought the AKI games looked. This is trending more into the shitty Yukes semi-realistic territory. So let's say the game has a year to go...At this point, they're getting characters into the game, the game engine is complete, and that makes me think this thing is going to be rough. If it were due for a 2023 release then I would expect something better, but man, collision detection, the weightlessness to it all, and how choppy it is is concerning.

There are definitely frame skips and that's not new. Was there in the Darby video as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed until 2023 with how early this all looks. My guess is that gameplay is not done based on how limited the footage is they've shown off. 

Graphics are definitely reminiscent of the Smackdown games, yeah. I liked the blocky AKI graphics too but I'm fine with this. Graphics are the least of my concerns, unless we are considering animations as part of that. That I'm a bit worried about but it's early days.

I have mixed feelings when they release footage like this. On one hand its good to see progress but in the year plus before it releases, who knows what tweaks they will do to it. I am sure it will resemble that but they have so much time to change things. So I don't *love* the movement in that video but with no release date, I'll wait to judge until its finalized footage.

Just now, Jiji said:

It looks like a Smackdown game to me. I would love it if they nail the sweet spot between the control and predictability of Aki and chaos of Smackdown. 

That's a slippery slope to having a situation with early Smackdown games and Day of Reckoning where wrestlers would keep exploding all over the ring when you slightly bump into them while they're doing a move.

I'm willing to be patient and not get too worried. I'm a little concerned but hopeful. If it takes them until 2023 to get to what we expect, then I hope they don't rush it to start recouping some of that money Khan invested. First impressions are huge, as we are seeing here. 

• Like 1

I honestly think with Kenny overseeing a lot things given his gaming history that it'll end up just fine.  All this was despite the concerning parts was "Hey, here's Jungle Boy!"

As for stuff out now I largely stopped playing the GM game though am itching to get back into it.  I think there's more things that need to be added to really go wild with it but am curious about the new stuff upcoming plus the season pass.

You know, I didn't hate those games at the time. CAW, all the moves, hilarious and silly voice overs. They weren't good but they had some charm to them.

I guess your level of concern will be determined by what you want from the game. If you're looking for a sim a la the WWE 2K games, then I would be very worried as I don't think they're going for that at all. If you want the best of Smackdown, you're probably pretty happy. As I said before, I'd love a style between the HCTP era of do whatever you want type of stuff with the control of No Mercy. And at least high flying looks like it'll be fun, which is something so many games struggle with. Seems like they'll have Darby's skateboard in the game to some extent as they recorded sound of him on it at a venue. 

Bigger question is this: do we get Cody's custom truck in the game and can we knock over the garbage bin? 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

No Mercy game play or bust for me lol.

At this point they haven't said anything about even a target release date right? So people in here speculating or being doom & gloom on certain aspects because they think it will be out by All Out next year is a bitttttttt premature. I'm going in to this not expecting it to be released before 2024. To me 5 years to build an engine from the ground up seems about right if you're not rushing it. If it ends up coming out before that (and is actually ready and not rushed) I will be pleasantly surprised. But I'd reserve judgement on pretty much all of it at this point. It's far from a finished or polished product yet.

I agree with the jerky motion on the rope bounce arm drag by the way. I just don't think all of the ring and rope physics / weighting of the character models have been implemented yet. They're just like hey guys look how dope these models look. Remember this move? Cool right? And not actually showing in game footage of the engine running yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No Mercy game play or bust for me lol.

At this point they haven't said anything about even a target release date right? So people in here speculating or being doom & gloom on certain aspects because they think it will be out by All Out next year is a bitttttttt premature. I'm going in to this not expecting it to be released before 2024. To me 5 years to build an engine from the ground up seems about right if you're not rushing it. If it ends up coming out before that (and is actually ready and not rushed) I will be pleasantly surprised. But I'd reserve judgement on pretty much all of it at this point. It's far from a finished or polished product yet.

I agree with the jerky motion on the rope bounce arm drag by the way. I just don't think all of the ring and rope physics / weighting of the character models have been implemented yet. They're just like hey guys look how dope these models look. Remember this move? Cool right? And not actually showing in game footage of the engine running yet.

"AEW CONSOLE VIDEO GAME COULD BE RELEASING NEXT YEAR"

We do plan to hopefully get it out by next year. But [we] can’t commit to a solid date just in case.

Out of Kenny Omega's mouth from July. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I drifted away from FPW shortly after move craft came out, but decided to check out what's new in the edit world and goddamn, the game has changed.  Downloaded a bunch of AEW edits that all use like 30-50 custom parts each and it was a huge pain in the ass but they all look amazing and people have been doing some wizardry with move craft.

I just wish FPW had better file management because if I ever decide I don't want these anymore I'm gonna basically have to nuke my save file or spend an entire day deleting parts.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I drifted away from FPW shortly after move craft came out, but decided to check out what's new in the edit world and goddamn, the game has changed.  Downloaded a bunch of AEW edits that all use like 30-50 custom parts each and it was a huge pain in the ass but they all look amazing and people have been doing some wizardry with move craft.

I just wish FPW had better file management because if I ever decide I don't want these anymore I'm gonna basically have to nuke my save file or spend an entire day deleting parts.

I'm doing the exact same thing actually.  I mainly have been sticking with KRadiation as he's all about adding custom parts and moves.  Though with him not creating women wrestlers I'll get whoever from him before looking in the likes of Britt and others.

I will say that as much as I loved it on PS4 the Steam version is great for adding custom parts.  For some he'll have a separate page for those and I can click on the + to add them all.  So that definitely saves time for when adding and if I decided to remove all that.  I just wish it was as easy for the PS4 version as FPW Net is a bit clunky.

I think it's easier to delete parts when they're installed through the mod but i haven't played fire pro in a while so i forget. Every few days I go through all the craft stuff that's been released though. It's soothing.

I saw the mod has that available but when enabling things it froze up my game after the match ended.  Don't feeling like asking Carlzilla as he can still be rather cantankerous (not to me, just general overall mood)  Oh, well.