DVDVR Message Board

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje (5/9/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Cruz is claiming that the ref smelled of alcohol and cigarettes and wondered if he could have overruled the ref in the match

Yeah that should be easy to prove.  And given that the winner just "retired", Dana probably wouldn't mind that investigation 

Should've gone full Freddie Blassie and said the referee was Cejudo's uncle. Then call him a crooked punk like Iron Sheik. 

"He had his uncle in there! Keith was his uncle!" 

"Henry Cejudo what Pan American game, Olympic Game, international compete you in!?"

"Referee, dat uncle Rufus was your cousin or vutever! That's because you cheating us!"

Edited by TheVileOne

Two things I forgot to mention.

Georges St-Pierre UFC Hall of Fame video reminded me of a what if way back when. GSP was UFC longest reign as UFC Welterweight Champion (2008-2013). Would GSP go on to beat Anderson Silva's consecutive title defenses record at 10? GSP vacated at 9. I honestly think he would even though the Welterweight division is one of the deepest weight classes, second only to Lightweight.

I have my doubts Henry Cejudo's gone for good. Great accomplishments in Olympic Gold, UFC Flyweight Champion beating Mighty Mouse, flattening TJ Dillashaw (that was so satisfying), holding two UFC Champions at the same time winning the UFC Bantamweight Championship and beating the Bantamweight GOAT, Dominick Cruz. I thought Cejudo might have tried to become the first three weight UFC Champion and go for the UFC Featherweight Championship.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I chuckled even if it's not Keith Petersen. If it is, savage.

When they showed the replay and you could see his face after the knee, I had no issue with the stoppage.  When you lose control of your facial muscles, you probably don't need to take any more blows to the head.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

When they showed the replay and you could see his face after the knee, I had no issue with the stoppage.  When you lose control of your facial muscles, you probably don't need to take any more blows to the head.  

Same here and I was rooting for Dominick Cruz.

• Like 1

Throw some makeup on him and he looks like a hobo clown. Cejudo was on another level and Cruz is my favourite guy at the lower weight classes in the UFC. Cruz was coming into the fight but was getting hit hard and clean too often. 

On 5/10/2020 at 12:34 PM, sabremike said:
I mean it's not like the tests only have a 65% accuracy rate or something...

The nasal swab test has a 25-35% failure rate (false negatives).  There are other types of tests available with more reliable rates.  Apparently, UFC isn't using the nasal swab test (or at least not using it exclusively).  

When is the next show?  Thursday?

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Wednesday

Yep and already made a thread for it.

As for Dom....to me, there is starting to be crossover between Cruz and Paulie Malignaggi. You got two guys who have done well as far as being color commentators and analysts and clearly have knowledge of the sport. The problem is they REFUSE to admit they've lost a step or two. And that's tough. Coming up completely short in a fight makes it seem like some of your vaunted theories don't work in practice. In actuality, it's not your day anymore. They didn't stop making good or great fighters after you. The sport goes on.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Yeah, he was fighting a guy who was just on another level in terms of agility and power. The dancing footwork is great against slower opponents not Henry Cejudo. 

• Like 1

Also, let's be fair to Cruz... He's lost far fewer steps than Malignaggi has and his peak was way higher relative to Paulie's too. I get the comparison for sure though. Dom's super smart, though strikes me as a little awkward and definitely kind of a dick, but maybe if he's going to continue he can find a new way of fighting that suits where he's at. He was, as the commentary noted, coming into the fight as it went along. However, he was taking a lot of clean power shots and his defence is entirely reliant on getting his head off the centre line, attacking from weird angles, and getting in and out before he can get countered. Cejudo was lighting him up because of the huge difference in speed. 

I'd love to see Mighty Mouse/Cejudo one more time but I get that it's not bloody likely. Cejudo isn't perfect but he's pretty much maximized his abilities with how he's currently fighting. Petr Yan is the obvious candidate to dethrone him at 135 because he fights in a similar fashion in terms of striking but has even better hands and power. I could see Cejudo turning to his wrestling more in that fight. Yan is still probably a big win away from a title shot though.

edit: I am entirely discounting this retirement nonsense. Dana won't break the bank but will give him enough of a raise to make it worthwhile. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Dominick Cruz saying Keith Peterson couldn't look him in the eye almost sounds like Montreal Screwjob WWE type stuff. He talks about Keith Peterson looking and smelling like he'd been out on a bender all night. 

Dom screwed Dom!

The biggest problem with Dominic Cruz isn't even that he's lost a step, it's that everything about his fighting style is nullified when his opponent doesn't try to chase him.  Seriously, if you watch the Garbrandt fight, Garbrandt lets him dance around outside of range all he wants, but as soon as he tries to dart in, Garbrant punches him right in the face.  His dancing around only works, if you overextend yourself trying to go after him.  When Garbrandt, who might have the worst fight IQ in the entire company figures out what you are doing, it isn't that complicated.  Cruz' footwork is bad in the exact opposite way that Gaethje's footwork is good.  Cruz uses a bunch of wasted movement and it often takes him completely out of his own striking range for no real reason.  Sure, you can't hit him when he's out of range, but that doesn't really matter because he can't hit his opponent either.  He's using a lot of energy to do a lot of things that are not actually helping him win the fight.  His movement doesn't cut off the cage, and the fact that he's so often out of range his attacks are telegraphed.  He has a long reach for the division, which helps him, but for the most part if he can hit you, you can hit him.  The problem in his last two fights is that he doesn't hit nearly hard enough to stop either Garbrandt or Cejudo to worry about the risk/reward of trying to knock his block off when he comes in range.  

• Like 3

• RIPPA unpinned this topic