DVDVR Message Board

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje (5/9/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Posted what I posted above on another board and was told to "Stop the CNN fear mongering". Guess one of my friends dying from this virus last month was "Fake News".

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

1.18am UK time, but so far empty arena UFC is way better than empty arena wrestling.

I know I should be used to it from basically any prelim fights ever, but watching two well regarded fighters throwing it down like that to silence just feels weird and not right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I know I should be used to it from basically any prelim fights ever, but watching two well regarded fighters throwing it down like that to silence just feels weird and not right.

empty arena wrestling i find very little enjoyment in.

empty arena UFC i don't mind whatsoever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Vicente Luque may be my favorite fighter to watch right now.  Then again Justin Gaethje and Tony Ferguson are in the main event.

It's crazy how he was just some dude on the ATT vs. Blackzilian TUF season when they didn't have the regular single elimination tournament. The only people with talent where Usman, Michael Graves, and Luque. However, due to the structure of the show, Hayder Hassan was in the finals because he could KO some random Florida regional guys. And what happened in the finals? Usman ate his ass up (I know phrasing, but w/e). Then, Luque choked him unconscious in the rematch from off the show. I mean I know that season was to allow Dan Lambert and Glen Robinson to act a fool, but that season made no fucking sense when it came to determining who was the best.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It's way better than wrestling, for sure. Don't like it but I'm thirsty.

empty arena UFC is giving me some hope that empty arena team sports may be tolerable for a short while.

Empty arena wrestling doesn't work for me either.  Which is odd, considering IWA-MS was fairly tolerable in the mid-00's with ten or 20 people in the seats (and Joe, Punk, and AJ in the ring).  And, when I lived in California, I attended a lot of small indy shows with fewer people in the bldg. than IWA-MS.

• Like 1

Just now, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

empty arena UFC is giving me some hope that empty arena team sports may be tolerable for a short while.

Empty arena wrestling doesn't work for me either.  Which is odd, considering IWA-MS was fairly tolerable in the mid-00's with ten or 20 people in the seats (and Joe, Punk, and AJ in the ring).  And, when I lived in California, I attended a lot of small indy shows with fewer people in the bldg. than IWA-MS.

I think the problem is the wrestling at it's best requires a give and take with the crowd.  Without that possibility, something feels like its missing.

MMA at it's best is beautiful violence, and you can hear the impact of that violence without the crowd.

• Like 3

I’ll be honest guys, lockdown + alcohol * lack of live sports means I’m all in this evening. My Scottish wife is off to bed and I’m getting a free pass for some sports.

NB- I’m well aware of the ass kicking Im getting next week. She’s a regular ‘Brave’

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So they're just going to keep saying how good Olynek's physique looks, but we're just not going to acknowledge that Verdum looks like his training regiment consisted of nothing but lifting his fork?

• Haha 4

That first round was a 10-8, was it not? Pure striking domination for the entire round.

edit: fuck everything, I need an Aleksei Oleinik title win in my life right now.

double edit: approaching Dada/Kimbo levels of fatigue.

Edited by Oyaji

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That first round was a 10-8, was it not? Pure striking domination for the entire round.

The worst part about spending the first round playing the part of a heavy bag is that he probably could have won this fight easily if he just took him down and grappled with him.  He got almost every takedown he wanted, and won every grappling exchange.  

There were a lot of holes for Aleksei to escape positions and submissions on the ground though. 

edit: WOW. Didn't see that coming, was hoping a draw was the best he could get after he clearly lost rounds 2 and 3.

Edited by Oyaji

The difference in the careers of Pettis and Cowboy is that Cowboy is better in every way except Pettis is so much more durable.    Pettis can take any and everything that you can dish out without taking a step back, but Cowboy can't whether punishment nearly as well.  Pettis just doesn't have the technical foundation to actually reach his peak.

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Even Pettis' is surprised that he got the judges decision.

Really, I thought Pettis clearly won that fight.

Ayo, Greg Hardy looks high as shit. Did he store his stash, flash paper, salt, and brass knux in his gimmick bag beside the puffer?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1