DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

If we’re fantasy booking, I would do a tag league/round robin tournament. They’ve got enough teams, especially if they add FTR and Gallows and Anderson (and my personal hope, Rusev Day), and it would give them a reset to focus on coming out of this down time.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AxB said:

I've never been a fan of Cardona. He feels like one of those WWE lifers who... put it like this. There's what Vince McMahon thinks is good shit, and there's what wrestling fans think is good shit. Sometimes that's the same thing, often they're two very different things. And if a wrestler stays in the WWE too long, they get indoctrinated into trying to get over with Vince, rather than with the fans. Makes sense within that context, because guys who get over on their own generally get fed to Vince projects, but it's a mindset that only serves you within that one company.

So ypu habe a guy who, when he needs to get himself more over, he gets in better visual shape, or gets a new outfit, or a new catchphrase, or starts doing a new pose before one of his moves. But it would never occur to him to get himself over by having a great match or improving in terms of in-ring work. If you see what I mean. I kind of think that's what Spears is dealing with, that's what Cody was dealing with for a while, and I reckon Ryder and Axel probably have that too. That's what hurt TNA when they kept bringing in freshly released WWE talent - the feeling that they're giving TV time and strong pushed to people who are out there trying to please a master they don't even work for. Drew Galloway came into TNA (& indies) trying to be the best TNA wrestler and that got him back in the big company. Aron Rex went to TNA trying to be What Vince Wants and he couldn't even last there. He was out of the biz altogether before Corgan brought him back.

Well said.  So which guys have potential to break the mold?  It seems as tho Moxley had no problem transitioning, and has excelled at the opportunity.  I didn't follow Cody in the beginning of his Indy run, but he's certainly found his way on the national stage.  So who on that list could really break out of the WWE mold?  And who needs to follow a Cody like trajectory of spending time expanding his/her craft before re-emerging?

On 5/3/2020 at 9:16 AM, ComingToAmerica said:

Ultimately AEW will have to be willing to trim some fat too - I won't name names, but that's a part of the equation here.

Who's expendable?  Decisions wouldn't be easy considering the most obvious expendables like Havoc and (maybe) Sabian and Spears etc. play smaller roles and are basically mid-card enhancement talent.  I'd be fine with Hybrid 2 getting axed in favour of new blood.  Janela, Sonny Kiss, and the Blade all come to mind.  Guys like Cutler, Avalon, QT and the 'Beaver Boys' are all expendable, but mostly all serving roles backstage and, again, as enhancement.  

I agree with the idea that a lot of these guys would be better served working Indies and especially New Japan before joining the Elite ranks.  A guy like Joe Hennig for example - that is if he truly has something to offer in-ring.  Does a team like Anderson and Gallows, certainly well established national TV wrestling faces, add more now or after a run in New Japan? 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

In terms of ex-WWE wrestlers adapting to a new style, I'd say the more training & experience they have outside of the WWE system, the better chance they have of thriving under different styles. If Mox or a guy like Hero or Tyler Black had retired instead of signing with Titan, that would have been a pretty good career. Whereas if you've only learned to do one style one way (and deeply indoctrinated that this is the best and only way), you're going to have a hard time breaking that programming.

On a different note, if I had the book, I'd book Gunn Club vs Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt, and have the finish be Marko pinning Billy clean in the middle. Establish that the reason he's willing to go one on one with monster sized guys is because he thinks he can beat them (and isn't delusional in that thought).

• Like 2

Ryder is a guy who wasn't getting a push and through his own creativity and hard work got himself over when he wasn't meant to get over. The company responded by punishment booking him in a way to bury him 10,000 feet underground. He is the type of guy I could see doing quite well in AEW because he shares a lot of the traits in regards to working to get himself over with the main guys in the company which is why they appear to view him highly.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Ryder is a guy who wasn't getting a push and through his own creativity and hard work got himself over when he wasn't meant to get over. The company responded by punishment booking him in a way to bury him 10,000 feet underground. He is the type of guy I could see doing quite well in AEW because he shares a lot of the traits in regards to working to get himself over with the main guys in the company which is why they appear to view him highly.

Yeah, I may have discounted this aspect of the former Ryder in my previous post. He's a character guy and that's how he gets himself over. Shit, I didn't expect much from Cody when he left and look what he's done. I have my doubts but I hope Cardona gets a chance to show what he can do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Where the heck was this Jack Evans hiding?

Nice to see H2 get some mic time.  Might be beneficial to give them more.  Tho, there are a lot of improvements needed in their mechanics and presentation to get them in any sort of position of interest.  I'm not sure promoting the Wednesday show with Luther, QT Marshall and the H2 is much of a lure.   

Anyway.

yog2bsw9mzw41.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

For the cool kids who like current hip-hop - JPEGMAFIA, as we all know, is a pretty big wrestling fan. Here he is from his BALD! music video, wearing a Darby Allin t-shirt.

• Like 3

“1.686 million viewers on the USA Network”

Ok, so your beloved Flair’s Shadow was a bit off the mark last week in projecting AEW Dynamite would come within 1 million viewers of WWE RAW for the first time since AEW Dynamite debuted. 

However.....with RAW yet hitting new all time lows in viewership my projection of last week will happen this week.

AEW Dynamite will no doubt get over 686,000 viewers for tomorrow nights show.

How do I know?

The Shadow always knows...well.....maybe 1 week ahead of schedule...but you know.

Hey Vince,

The object in the mirror may be closer than they appear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

“1.686 million viewers on the USA Network”

Ok, so your beloved Flair’s Shadow was a bit off the mark last week in projecting AEW Dynamite would come within 1 million viewers of WWE RAW for the first time since AEW Dynamite debuted. 

However.....with RAW yet hitting new all time lows in viewership my projection of last week will happen this week.

AEW Dynamite will no doubt get over 686,000 viewers for tomorrow nights show.

How do I know?

The Shadow always knows...well.....maybe 1 week ahead of schedule...but you know.

Hey Vince,

The object in the mirror may be closer than they appear.

Oh Vince definitely knows all about The Shadow, and his what one in forty guesses he’s got right? ? 

Seriously though I was waiting for you to say Vince knew Raw was going to tank in the ratings so he told Triple H to load up NXT this week (Cole vs Dream, Flair vs Io, Gargano vs Dijakovic, Kross debuting in ring) to make sure your prediction won’t come true. 

But alas I agree with you, and I think AEW not only comes within a million viewers of Raw but they’ll beat NXT outright again this week. 

We got a @Mookieghana sighting on Dark. He was in the crowd, on the heel side. Tony and Cody even acknowledged him.

These matches were all fun. I suspect they were filmed on the assumption they'd be on Dynamite, before it went back live.

• Like 1

I did like Brodie’s mannerisms at ringside during 10’s match. But outside of having a great physique, 10 is the lesser of the monster squashes I’ve seen. 

4 hours ago, AxB said:

These matches were all fun. I suspect they were filmed on the assumption they'd be on Dynamite, before it went back live.

They were okay. When editing the last two episodes, these probably were the least of all the matches. 

I’m trying to remember, was the TNT belt introduced during the first Georgia episode, or the second episode? I would like to know if the tournament was Frankenstein’d from all those matches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs