DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That one red-haired lady ugly-crying when Savage and Liz reunite after the Savage/Warrior career-ending match is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. Every time, I'm touched that she's that touched at the resolution to this whole storyline. 

Related to that idea - I absolutely adore the kid who loses his shit when Ron Simmons wins the title

simmonssplits.gif

I remember when I cared about things...

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That one red-haired lady ugly-crying when Savage and Liz reunite after the Savage/Warrior career-ending match is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. Every time, I'm touched that she's that touched at the resolution to this whole storyline. 

I see your...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuNa9NsoE3u539z9kaC9D

and raise you with...

b51d8-15406535567899-800.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just can’t wait till he starts showing off his gun collection by shooting up them up with milk jugs.

I'd love for Rusev to show up in ROH as Miro Briscoe, the Briscoes Bulgarian-redneck cousin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

There's so many people I want to see Rey get to work with in NJPW before he retires. I have no idea how well it would go, but man, I want to see Rey vs Ishii. And obviously Rey vs Hiromu.

There's so many matches I'd want to see Rey have in New Japan, mostly against Taiji Ishimori, ELP, and Robbie Eagles. Rey vs. Ospreay and vs. SHINGO would have been awesome, too.

I wish had got the Rey vs Liger match we were supposed to get about 2 years ago. I think he and Cody would have a better match than they did years ago considering Cody is much better now plus they'd have a great backstory for the match. AEW treats Legends so much better than WWE. He'd do fine ending his Career there although  I wouldn't trade his matches with Andrade for anything I don't think he have matches at that level with anyone else in WWE atleast

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Related to that idea - I absolutely adore the kid who loses his shit when Ron Simmons wins the title

simmonssplits.gif

Funny you mention that as I watched it yesterday on WCW Saturday Night. Still can't believe that and Jake's debut happened in Baltimore of all places. What great moments those were. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

simmonssplits.gif

D-Lo or Ron told a story once where when they were in the NoD at a show in Baltimore - D-Lo was distracted in the ring and Farooq asks him what's wrong. D-Lo then says that he was "sitting over there" and points to a seat when Ron Simmons won the World Championship. 

I love that story. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

D-Lo or Ron told a story once where when they were in the NoD at a show in Baltimore - D-Lo was distracted in the ring and Farooq asks him what's wrong. D-Lo then says that he was "sitting over there" and points to a seat when Ron Simmons won the World Championship. 

I love that story. 

Dude I miss D'lo. Around 2006 or 2007ish maybe, I was at a SmackDown taping and they had Slyck Wagner Brown doing a dark match, but production played D'lo's music by mistake somehow, and honestly for a half-full building it was a pretty meaty pop

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Rey vs Marko Stunt. With Rey bringing the bully heel power offense and getting tied in the ropes Andre style.

There was a Rey vs Evan Bourne face vs face match on RAW back when Rey was still a bit more jacked and he took a bit more of a "power moves" role for the match and was actually quite good at sliding into the role. 

Remember last month when I asked for help putting together a compilation about folklore? Well imagine I posted the once again bernie meme.

The compilation I'm putting together right now is on Married Couples. Not literally married couples, but the ideas of matchups that have wrestled each other so many times that they're capable of tighter and more intense matches than irregular opponents. I need help coming up with some more examples of this. Here's what I have now

• Rey Mysterio & Psicosis
  • Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Hijo Del Santo & Negro Casas
  • Ric Flair & Ricky Steamboat
  • Eddie Guerrero & Chris Benoit
  • Finlay & Regal
  • Rock & Roll Express & The Midnight Express
  • The Four Pillars of AJPW

Anyone else come to mind? Double points for joshi because I have a big blindspot there I'm trying to fill in.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 1

The success of some of these pairings is subjective I guess, but as far as matchups where they could probably work a match without even talking it over or calling a lot of spots:

Flair & Wahoo

Cena & Orton

Zayn & Owens 

Austin & Rock

Morton & Eaton (Tags and singles)

Kane & Big Show

Benoit & Malenko 

Edited by (BP)

8 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Remember last month when I asked for help putting together a compilation about folklore? Well imagine I posted the once again bernie meme.

The compilation I'm putting together right now is on Married Couples. Not literally married couples, but the ideas of matchups that have wrestled each other so many times that they're capable of tighter and more intense matches than irregular opponents. I need help coming up with some more examples of this. Here's what I have now

• Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Finlay & Regal

Anyone else come to mind? Double points for joshi because I have a big blindspot there I'm trying to fill in.

Flair vs Sting

• Like 1

Tyler Bate's first match ever was (a tag match) against Pete Dunne. And so were a lot of his other matches, except when they were on the same team and that.

AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels

David Starr and Joey Janela lasted for four years (and they were supposed to wrestle each other again this month), although most people think of Walter as his biggest opponent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I am sure he told it other places but it was on the Table for 3 that I heard it (The one with D-Lo, Mark Henry and Godfather)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

• Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Finlay & Regal

I played around a bit using the cagematch match search going over well known Japanese rivalries and I got the following number of single matches:

Muto vs. Chono 29 (not sure if I covered all Muto gimmicks)

Liger vs. Sano 42

Momota vs. Fuchi 159 (All Japan in the late 70ies ran this match multiple times per tour)

Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu 26

Liger vs. Kanemoto 26

Misawa vs. Kawada 17

Misawa vs. Kobashi 16

Kawada vs. Kobashi 23

Obviously, you will get much higher numbers (or at least numbers in the Momota vs. Fuchi range) for US rivalries. Also, if you consider young lion rivalries, you will also find some unexpected peaks there (e.g. Misawa vs. Koshinaka had 41 matches, 40 of them from 81 to 84).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude I miss D'lo. Around 2006 or 2007ish maybe, I was at a SmackDown taping and they had Slyck Wagner Brown doing a dark match, but production played D'lo's music by mistake somehow, and honestly for a half-full building it was a pretty meaty pop

He got one of the biggest reactions on the entire show I went to back in 2008 when he worked Lance Cade second from the bottom. 19,000 fans popping huge had to be a nice little moment for him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

• Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Finlay & Regal

• Angle/Benoit
  • Tanahashi/Okada
  • Naito/Ibushi
  • Ibushi/ZSJ
  • Tanaka/Ohtani
  • Sekimoto/Okabayashi
  • Cena/Punk
  • Charlotte/Sasha
  • Charlotte/Bayley
  • Charlotte/Becky
  • Meiko/Aja
  • Meiko/Io

Edited by Eivion

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  • Angle/Benoit

A case could be made that Angle's definitive feuds are actually Sting and Jarrett, considering he was only in WWE for 8 years and in TNA for 10.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

A case could be made that Angle's definitive feuds are actually Sting and Jarrett, considering he was only in WWE for 8 years and in TNA for 10.

Never watched Angle in TNA. Also this isn't really about that per say as much as the general series of presumably good matches produced over the years. How were the feuds with Sting and Jarret?