DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I might be the only one, but I initially saw Darby losing as him thinking he pinned Cody, not realizing Cody's shoulders were off the mat and he was the one being counted for the 1-2-3 and Darby didn't realize he was the one getting pinned until he heard Cody's music hence him looking surprised when he lost. 

At that moment I thought it was a weird, but kinda brilliant finish. Young, overconfident guy got overzealous and thought he had Cody beaten, but Cody, the vet, was slick enough to escape with a win. I think that's the finish they should have gone with.

And then that got shot to hell when Jericho and Tony called Cody turning the Coffin Drop into a crucifix pin.

• Like 3

Something about the cult imagery and "The Exalted One!" loses its mystery/menace when it's preceded by "From Rochester, New York.."  They should probably kayfabe that hometown.

Also, are they really calling him "Mr. Brodie Lee" as another riff/shot at Mr. McMahon?  Then Jericho goes "You'd expect him to have a dopey Southern accent or something..."  Let it go, guys!

Really dug that tag match, a great mix of violent and goofy.  Especially Cassidy's lazy chair throw.

The Manitoba Melee was pretty funny (But not as good as the stuntman meme it was taken from!).

God, do I hate Lance Archer's hair!

I think Jake the Snake said it before the Spears match where Cody was gonna slip on a banana peel and get himself eliminated so he wouldn't have to fight Archer.  Didn't think it would be Darby slipping on a banana peel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I might be the only one, but I initially saw Darby losing as him thinking he pinned Cody, not realizing Cody's shoulders were off the mat and he was the one being counted for the 1-2-3 and Darby didn't realize he was the one getting pinned until he heard Cody's music hence him looking surprised when he lost. 

At that moment I thought it was a weird, but kinda brilliant finish. Young, overconfident guy got overzealous and thought he had Cody beaten, but Cody, the vet, was slick enough to escape with a win. I think that's the finish they should have gone with.

And then that got shot to hell when Jericho and Tony called Cody turning the Coffin Drop into a crucifix pin.

It's a good point here.  I'd like to shift my disappointment of that finish from Cody/Darby/Booker to production team including commentary.  First, you reminded me here how silly it was that the music came on right away.  If they'd played up the confusion - had Darby rise to his feet with his hands in the air, and have the ref lift Cody's arm to his chagrin, it could have made sense.  And made for an inevitable rematch. 

But yeah, it would've also required confusion played up on the part of the announce team.  That small nuance would have made that finish far more acceptable.    

• Like 2

Yeah, it was far from a “crucifix pin.”  Neither of Cody’s arms was holding any of Darby’s body parts.  He just laid flat on his back, both arms pinned under Allin’s body, and shifted his weight to roll Darby slightly off him and onto his own shoulders.  Allin literally just laid flat on his back under no duress and let himself be pinned.   The only plausible explanation is Darby didn’t know he was getting pinned, which makes him look like a moron.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

It looked like how Shawn Pinned HHH in their one great match from RAW. But it wasn’t well executed here. This is where a 2nd take would’ve helped. But for an empty arena match it was a very good match. Might’ve even been the best match under different circumstances.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I felt like Darby getting closer to victory against Cody each time is building to him beating Cody for the title down the road, if Cody ends up winning it. I would certainly hope there's not any Cody turn in the plans. Thought the same for Darby after he hit Cody after their last tag match.

• Like 1

If anyone has benefitted from AEW being a Rhodes-led project, its Dustin. The roster is so, so stacked now (Lee & Archer have been terrific additions - mentioned previously but half would love them as a monster tag pairing - while Wardlow looks great too everytime he's out there) that there's really no place for him once/when lockdown is lifted. Hangman, Moxley, Omega, Darby, Jericho, Wardlaw, Archer, Lee, MJF, Cody, Guevara, PAC etc. .. hard task to fit all these in on one show.

Edited by A_K

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Gotta make sure Zack Ryder has a spot, after all

I see Ryder ending up in a Shawn Spears spot. Occasionally getting a win, but mostly jobbing. Maybe Ryder ends up being Spears tag partner? You gotta have a team to job to the Hybrid 2.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Just listened to Dave and Bryan on WOR review Dynamite and they bring up Trent having Bill Murray's face on Trent's knee pad. This is the first time they've ever noticed it and Trent has had that knee pad for a long ass time. Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's a KCCO reference, but it's funny listening to Dave and Bryan notice things that have been there for a long time.

• Like 1

Apparently Jericho didn't notice it either until Wednesday and he's called some of Trent's matches already.  I guess it was in such clear view for a few seconds that they couldn't help but notice it.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Just listened to Dave and Bryan on WOR review Dynamite and they bring up Trent having Bill Murray's face on Trent's knee pad. This is the first time they've ever noticed it and Trent has had that knee pad for a long ass time. Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's a KCCO reference, but it's funny listening to Dave and Bryan notice things that have been there for a long time.

Yeah, they thought it was a Groundog Day reference.  He's had that kneepad design forever.  I'm blown away that neither ever noticed.  Aside from both seeing so many of his matches, Dave was at ringside for so many Trent matches in PWG, like mere feet away from the guy.