DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Lots of stuff in store for tonight:

TNT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINAL MATCH - (#1) Cody vs. (#3) Darby Allin

TNT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINAL MATCH - (#4) “The Murderhawk Monster” Lance Archer vs. “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes

NO DQ/NO COUNT-OUT - Kip Sabian & Jimmy Havoc (w/ Penelope Ford) vs. (#3) The Best Friends (Trent & Chuck Taylor) w/ Orange Cassidy

Mr.  Brodie Lee vs. Marko Stunt

Mox Talx (About the Sawks on Fawks) *

* - I expect only Boston area people to get that.  

• Like 2

RIP Dustin Rhodes ?

I hope Cody vs Darby is the shit. I honestly have no idea to root for in that match. I'm invested in Cody winning a title, but I also want Darby to look strong.

Also, poor Marko. Gets killed by Archer. Gonna get killed again by Brodie.

I got to think this is the time AEW finally puts Darby in the winner circle over Cody.

1. Darby defeats Cody.

2. Archer pretty much kills Dustin.

3. Cody attempts to save his brother but yet fails under the onslaught from Archer.

4. Darby comes running out at end of show saving both Rhodes brothers and cuts a promo on Archer.

5. Sets up Darby vs Archer final for TNT Title.

6. Develops storyline that Cody can’t win big match without Arn Anderson 

7. Anderson turns on Cody at next PPV with The Revolt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually a very entertaining episode I’ll give them that. They put all their best stuff in this episode, before they go live next week.

Hoss Rank:

1. Lance Archer

2. Wardlow

3. Brodie Lee

4. Butcher

5. Luchasaurus

6. Hager

Wardlow’s elevated knee to face was savage this week. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Dear god, those pieces with the Inner Circle and Britt Baker were fantastic. All of the matches were pretty good this week. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed Best Friends vs Havoc/Sabian, too.

I really can't wait until live crowds are a thing again. Omega/Hardy vs LE SEX GODS would pop a live crowd like a motherfucker.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

At my house:
"Is that Lou Ferigino or Lanny Poffo?"

Also, that Best Friends vs. Havoc/Sabian match was my favorite match in a long, long time. Even my mother, who's typical wrestling advice is "use a weapon!" or "bite him!" was satisfied.

I thought it was Lanny. 

I'd like to see more of the Havoc/Sabian team. I really enjoyed the match againat the Best Friends. 

Cody/Darby delivered, although I didn't love the result, then Archer/Dustin went out and topped it. 

The Britt and Inner Circle segments were gold. 

The only thing I went out of my way to skip was Shawn Spears. Do I really need a reason to skip a Shawn Spears squash?

I hope Marko got a pay increase for the squashes against Archer and Brodie Lee.

• Like 1

The usual suspects will, of course, absolutely shit on that tag team match, but for what it was and who they had at their disposal, it was perfectly fine and actually very watchable. I mean, I love a good squash match, but there were three of them on this show, two involving BAH GOD hosses. Meh. Give me plunder over a big guy throwing around a smaller guy.

Which brings me to: I have issues with this tournament. People like Cody and Dustin and Darby and Lance didn't need to be in this tournament. That title should be for people like Wardlow or Kip Sabian or even fucking Pineapple Pete. Cody/Lance doesn't need a title involved for their program (and the finals was super telegraphed with having Lance and Cody in different brackets - no way were either of them losing, especially Lance).

That being said, I thought the finish to Cody vs Darby was really well done. You think Cody fucked up again like in the FyterFest match, getting too cocky (and calling back to earlier in the match where Darby stole Cody's finish!), then he gets hit with the actual Coffin Drop, but Darby is the one who is cocky (or just tired, more likely) and doesn't pin him the way he should have. Those two have some serious, serious chemistry. I'm so glad Cody left WWE all those years ago, damn.

(Priscilla Kelly was in the audience - AEW Dark appearance incoming?! I hope so.)

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

(Priscilla Kelly was in the audience - AEW Dark appearance incoming?! I hope so.)

Between that and her being on Brandi's Youtube show it wouldn't surprise me if she eventually ends up with AEW.

And ducking hell did I love this episode.  Archer is the god-damned best and the Jericho Bunch video ruled.  I know it sucks without a crowd but I still have a blast watching this.

And CALL YOUR GRANDMOTHER!  I would if they were still alive though I did call my mom today. Close enough.

EDIT:  I honestly meant to say fucking but fuck it I'm keeping that in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cody/Darby was great, loved the finish. Archer/Dustin was an awesome battle, very exciting/chaotic finishing stretch. Archer came off like a proper killer here. I wish there could be a crowd cause Cody/Archer should be excellent and this was some really cool build to it with Archer brutalizing Dustin in front of Cody, very Rocky IV-esque with the hesitation over the towel. Dr. Britt continues to be fantastic in her role.  Best Friends tag was fun. Good show and it flew by quick. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Between that and her being on Brandi's Youtube show it wouldn't surprise me if she eventually ends up with AEW.

And ducking hell did I love this episode.  Archer is the god-damned best and the Jericho Bunch video ruled.  I know it sucks without a crowd but I still have a blast watching this.

And CALL YOUR GRANDMOTHER!  I would if they were still alive though I did call my mom today. Close enough.

EDIT:  I honestly meant to say fucking but fuck it I'm keeping that in.

She did job duty against Britt on the Jericho cruise, where the Britt heel turn started with a really awkward promo. Plus, Priscilla's husband is also in AEW, so I'd say it's a safe bet she'll be signed at some point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Superbad Deathsquad, they're going to be a regular team apparently.

Soooo here's one of the things about the difference between AEW and WWE:

When they team up to random singles wrestlers, in AEW it's actually for a good reason weather it be in-story or for some real life reason, and they usually mesh well together. I have really been enjoying the team of Havoc/Sabian, as well as Cody/Darby, and (I'm sure I'll enjoy) Le Sex Gods.

In WWE, it's usually done either randomly, or for a stupid reason, and they (used to) come up with some really corny team names, usually by going with "Team ____". Examples being Air Boom, Truth/Xavier, Brodus/Tensai, and more recently Ricochet/Alexander.

The most that I watched (so far) was the entirety of the No DQ tag and even though it was a bit long it was... really good. Like, really good. All the chair stuff was great. Havoc actually looked dangerous, probably because he was just chucking chairs instead of using a bloody staple gun. It was a garbage match that actually put a smile on my face because it was fun. You don't get that too often. And yeah, keep those two together as a team, they need each other. 

Oh, and I thought it was Lanny too

Edited by Curt McGirt

Everyone spotted Lanny Poffo and Lou Ferrigno is the Bubbly Bunch video, but nobody realised GnR Duff McKagan was in there too.

It is an example of two people having the same idea at the same time though: