DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Howard Finkel

Fucking hell.  It's not that surprising given his recent years but it still really, really sucks.  The guy was not only a key part of my childhood but also for most of my wrestling fandom.  The fact that he'd still be out there going into the 2000s and beyond means there's a lot of big moments that he was part of.    But man, what a long and great career he had.  RIP, Finkel.

• Like 4

"Now, let us all find out who drew NUMBER ONE in the Royal Rumble" is an instant hype-maker for me even now, but especially in my childhood. 

• Like 7

Here's the other thing. There's always going to be a lot we don't know or don't know for sure, but we do know that Howard Finkel was a wrestling fan. Is that the term we'd use for George Scott or Jim Barnett or even Pat Patterson. Even a guy like Bruce Prichard isn't the same. Maybe for some more than others? Now, what actual influence Finkel had relative to those other guys, I don't know, but he was the one who watched all the tapes from around the country, right? He was there, he was in that circle, and like us, he was a fan. It makes you wonder just how much of the stuff that we loved the most for those first few ears of expansion would have still happened if he hadn't been there. I don't claim to know, but looking back now, from the outside in, it feels like it mattered.

• Like 1

I often talk about how the Monsoon/Heenan broadcast team is imprinted on my brain as what pro wrestling is "supposed to sound like", analogous to the the Madden/Summeral broadcast tandem in football.

Howard Finkel is also "what wrestling is supposed to sound like"

the Platonic Ideal of a ring announcer, against whom all others shall forever be judged and invariably be found wanting.  Classic PA announcer tone and cadence, and they should've had him record himself saying everybody's name to have in the can like they did so Bob Shepard could keep announcing Jeter's at bats forever.

Remember how the old WWF video games would feature him on the box art and title screen right along with Hogan?  Yeah, it's because he was that recognizable and iconic.  The Voice Of Wrestlemania, only fitting that he even coined the phrase, too.  He was the other wrestling voice every kid in school did an impression of, after Savage, because come on, everybody wanted to say "...and NEW CHAMPION!!!!!!".

also officially The First Employee hired when Vince Jr. bought from Vince Sr. IIRC?

Deeply sad, irreplaceable loss, and his presence has already been deeply missed.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2