DVDVR Message Board

Money In The Bank XI - 5/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That was the first time in a LONG time that I enjoyed a WWE thing. My favorites won, there were some great cameos, funny moments, and best of all the whole household was entertained. I don't know if I liked this better or last week's main event of Dynamite.

Just a couple of things to nitpick about (I'll spoiler:)

Spoiler

Stephanie's bit. She was SOOOOO totally in the same room/building as Dana.

What happened to the other three women that prevented them from reaching the roof?

The Men's match. Techinically AJ and Baron should have won, but they added the "in control" rule this year. Doesn't that mean that Ellsworth really did win the women's MITB years ago after all?

Edited by The Green Meanie

RIP cinematic matches 2020 - 2020

It looks like I'm in the minority but I thought the MITB was no bueno. Brother Love taking a shit? An indy quality Doink? A food fight for no reason? I did not like much of that at all. I loved both the boneyard match & the fun house match. But both of those had a story to them. This was just throwing a ton of shit at the wall with no purpose. With a 480p cameo from Stephanie that was clearly filmed on a zoom call and edited in. No sir I didn't like it.

Maybe I need to take a break during the empty arena era. I'm just not connecting with anything they're doing. Yes I realize that's most likely a me problem and not a them problem. Sounds like most people here enjoyed it, so I don't wanna poo poo on your parade. It was some of the most cringey stuff I've seen in awhile.

The Undertaker doc after it was amazing. Will definitely keep up with the rest of the series.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Weird that two tag team wrestlers won it this year. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for Kairi and Tucker.

I started late and actually skipped most of MITB match. I got way too much enjoyment out of that MVP/R-Truth/Lashley segment.

I'm shocked they didn't give more levity to Rey and Black going over the roof there. They just treated it as if nothing happened.

Cannon ball run the wrestling match was super entertaining to me.  The people power cameo. The fight in Vince's personal conference room/office.  Asuka being herself. 

I also liked Bray/Braun coz of how vocal they both were.  And it sets up Fiend/Braun in a nice way.  Bayley and Tamina had a good match with a crappy pinning combination ending. 

32 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Weird that two tag team wrestlers won it this year. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for Kairi and Tucker.

I started late and actually skipped most of MITB match. I got way too much enjoyment out of that MVP/R-Truth/Lashley segment.

I'm shocked they didn't give more levity to Rey and Black going over the roof there. They just treated it as if nothing happened.

I thought it had been reported that Kairi was out once her contract was up?

Tucker is done though. Just pair him up with Riddick Moss as the new jobber tag team because Otis is on his way to the upper mid card alone.

• Sad 1

Asuka is one of my absolute favorites but it's kinda sorta hard for me to be happy about this news because she's had an endless amount of starts and stops since she got to the main roster. I'm sort of concerned she's almost being set up to fail here. Even when she won the Smackdown title, it sort of felt like that push came out of nowhere. 

Otis winning I think was a good move. Dude's over, has a unique look, very likable, and strike while the iron is hot with him. Not sure how this push will pan out for him, but I support it at the moment.

• Like 1

I thought MITB was terrible.  The Boneyard match worked because they built it around the basic structure of a wrestling match.  MITB was just a bunch of random shit happening for 20 minutes.  And none of it particularly inspired.  It was actually kinda staggering how completely bereft of ideas it was.  All those writers, and the best they could come up with was the same backstage nostalgia cameos they would book on any random Raw?  

It was like Vince came up with the idea to do it on the roof so they could throw somebody off, and then they spent all of 3 minutes working out the rest of it backwards from there.

And then the big stunts looked like shit anyway lol.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bayley/Tamina was pretty decent and they did a good job working around Tamina’s limitations. Probably the best Tamina has looked since she was wrestling Kaitlyn years ago. 

what a cool moment for Asuka. She’s just been killing it lately. Can’t wait to see who she decides to cash in on. I’m another that enjoyed the foolishness of the Money in the Bank matches. 

• Like 1

Of course, the most death-defying stunt on any episode of WWE TV is when somebody dares to trust Nia Jax with their well-being.  Holy shit, that gorilla press on Lacey was horrifying.  All the camera cuts Kevin Dunn could muster couldn’t save that abomination.  Lacey was very lucky Nia just kinda plopped her back down.

• Like 2

Corbin breaking the mirror and having that "oh fuck" look was the best.  

The "Doink" cameo was rather odd as it took me a second to realize it was SUPPOSED to be Doink.  

At first when AJ opened the door with the coffin, I thought there'd be two.  They'd open and be Gallows and Anderson laying inside.  Didn't know any other reason AJ to still be wearing the OC shirt since he's the only member.

4 minutes ago, romdam said:

Corbin breaking the mirror and having that "oh fuck" look was the best.

This was the legit probably the best spot in the match.  It was the one time someone interacted with the environment in an interesting way that had actual consequences.

Of course, then they overplayed their hand and had Corbin just stand there, staring, for what seemed like an eternity, like he’d seen a ghost or something.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

It was like Vince came up with the idea to do it on the roof so they could throw somebody off, and then they spent all of 3 minutes working out the rest of it backwards from there.

Thumbs Down for no one "accidentally" slamming Bruce Prichard face first into a bathroom mirror, and also for not flying the old All Japan pbp announcer to Stamford and having Johnny Ace lay everyone out with Ace Crushers while the All Japan announced yelled "ACE CRUSHAH!!!" over and over again.

Based on that promo, how exactly is Lacey Evans supposed to be a face. Even if you are an American and the whole "USA! Military!" thing works for you, she comes off so disingenuous.

Liked MITB, it was the weakest of the three cinematic matches they've done, but still had a goofy charm to it. Only missed opportunity for me was that they had the women get to the roof and finish up before the men (besides the Corbin bit). I think they could have gotten some mileage out of some women and men pairing up and trying to help each other up the ladder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morganti said:

Cannon ball run the wrestling match was super entertaining to me. 

I was trying for the life of me to find the perfect analogy for the MITB matches and this is it. Kind of reminded me of the hardcore title stuff from Wrestlemania X8 in a lot of ways, highly entertaining