DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If they do that again they need to bring Tony in to record a segment for it. Excalibur did not sound enthusiastic reading this from his hone office. Or they could’ve had Jen Decker doing this too, since she does this for the YouTube channel.

I didn't interpret it as a lack of enthusiasm as I did that Excalibur was being serious since wrestling is serious business.  

I may have also been sleepy.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah that wasn’t very good. On the other hand I liked this weeks Brodie Lee segment. I think the WWE dress code policy gave him some material to work with for this segment. He came off both classy, and intimidating. Might have even been a back door explanation for all of them wearing business casual. Also was that the old WCW/Turner office that DX tried to first invade in the 90’s?

Yeah, I like the fact that Lee is trying to reinforce the idea that the Dark Order isn't supposed to be a cadre of chumps.  Their goal is the infiltration of the highest levels of society and you can't do that dressed like a bum.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have, right?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I didn't interpret it as a lack of enthusiasm as I did that Excalibur was being serious since wrestling is serious business.  

I may have also been sleepy.

He sounded a little too dry even for Excalibur. This would’ve been done better at a recording studio. But I’m sure all those are shutdown in Hollywood.

Jake Roberts maybe clean and possibly sober and cutting 1980's Pure Evil promos is the best thing on my television right now.

The only fools fight wars that they know they can't win promo was the best one yet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The 1st buildup hype video made me excited for a Jake Hager match.. I am looking forward to Hager-Moxley. Hager's wife was perfect "You win or you don't come home"

I can't wait for Jericho to retire and he and Tony become the best announcing duo ever behind Lance Russell & Dave Brown. 

My favorite Jericho line for the entire night: "She went from Ace Frehley to Gene Simmons in one match"

Chris Jericho made me not care that this was an empty arena show. 

• Like 6

This may have been their best empty arena show yet.  I'm right there with all the praise for the Jericho-Skee-vone team.  Jericho clearly made this show a ton-a-fun and much better than it would've been without him. 

12 hours ago, Dewar said:

Ladies match was really good, squashes were fun. Any match with Nakazawa automatically sucks, and they managed to make their one quality official look like a schmuck by not enforcing rules in the main event. 

Jericho-Skeeavone broadcast duo was great. 

Jobber Spears kicking out of two Cross Rhodes was ridiculous, and then he just laid there and lost to a figure four. 

The double Cross Rhodes kick out to/from Shawn Spears, barely a midcarder, just needlessly devalued that move ten fold. Curious what Arn Anderson thought of that watching on.    

I agree with everything you've mentioned here.  That tag match is getting a lot of praise considering how unbelievably bad that oil-chop spot was.  Had they done one slide off chop and moved on quickly, maybe, but that second one made me think I oughtta shut off this idiotic horse shit. And clearly following that they made a big ugly edit - four crowd shots all with slightly different audio.  That was beginner level bad editing.  I think I've known how bad Nakazawa is, but that was his coming out party.

Also, anyone care to argue why Audrey would just stand there and watch OC dive onto one of the wrestlers in the match without even acknowledging it as interference?  So dumb.  

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Baker asking for the ref's glove before going for the lockjaw was tremendous.  Was that a coronavirus precaution?  I'm just going to pretend it was no matter what, because that's awesome.

I liked the Baker-Shida bout, and agree Britt looked a lot stronger than per usual.  The glove bit seemed pretty goofy to me considering all the social distancing rules being broken just by having a show.  Her asking for a glove shows concern for her opponent which is assbackwards for a heel, no?  No doubt the blood helped make this special.  

I'm happy I watched this episode on tape delay.  My enjoyment would have been impaired  had I been forced to watch all those redundant Hager-Moxley and Cody-Spears segments followed by commercials.  I'm all for packages, but WTF?  One, fine, but three of those segments saying the same goddamned things ('I'm gonna beat you').  Anyway, glad I was able to ffwd some of it. 

Archer and Lee squashes were awesome.  I haven't seen it mentioned here, but why the fuck was Marko Stunt out there at ringside after that brutal squash last week?  How the fuck is Marko not off TV selling injury after that?  Also, I dug the Brodie Lee promo again this week, but they need to go light on score music for the promos.  It's so fucking goofy.  Same for the opening Jake Roberts promo.  if they lightly spiced these promos it might be fine, but full on 'it's scary cause the music is scary' shit is a bit much.    

A lot of complaints, but overall I did like the show.  They're clearly working hard during this difficult time, but I hope they see the bad gaffes and room to improve on production (how did nobody on the production team notice how badly recorded Excalibur's VO was for the rankings segment?  There are a billion ways of working with that).  I also hope they see the logic holes and work to better cover their bases.  I also hope we get more Jericho-Skeevone moving forward.  At least for the duration of the empty arena shows.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If he's still living with DDP

Right now he’s not. Jake did an interview recently where he revealed do to the Coronavirus he’s currently quarantine in an Atlanta hotel room, and sorta blamed being a “soldier” for AEW for his current predicament. DDP basically told he wouldn’t let him back in if he left the house, and Archer told him the same after I believe they shot the extra footage. He also chastised both major companies for still running shows.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

EVERYBODY DIES!!!

The "DIES" part of "EVERYBODY DIES" was edited out of his music last night. Now it's just "5...4...3...2...1...EVERYBODY _____"

• Sad 2

Wacky. AEW drew 692k viewers, NXT drew 693k viewers, but AEW won the night because of the demo. Is that up from last week for both shows?

EDIT: It is. More of a bump for NXT though.

Edited by Craig H

no Fite exclusive stuff this week was a bummer. they even cut during commercial breaks, which they haven't done previously.
Jericho on commentary was GOLD all night. the aforementioned fork line was my highlight.

Jake promo was an excellent start. Murderhawk squash was perfection.

Shida/Brit match was ok. it was quite good by the end, but the first half would've been better at 1.5x speed.

Matt Hardy promo was good enough. coincidence that last week someone here brought up the Matt Hardy dumpster fire thread and this week he makes a reference?

Brodie Lee squash was great. i was surprised to see the Dark Order tag team was 4-0 or 5-0 and the #1 contenders. if they keep doing this vignettes, i would like to see more with Brodie, Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, and the recruiter dude. everything feels very disconnected but i'm still interested enough to see where it goes. 

main event was good. best Spears has looked in AEW in ages

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Right now he’s not. Jake did an interview recently where he revealed do to the Coronavirus he’s currently quarantine in an Atlanta hotel room, and sorta blamed being a “soldier” for AEW for his current predicament. DDP basically told he wouldn’t let him back in if he left the house, and Archer told him the same after I believe they shot the extra footage. He also chastised both major companies for still running shows.

Wait, I'm confused - just to clarify: DDP didn't want him back in the house because of the virus, not because of any issues working AEW correct?

@twiztor I don't want to quote your whole post but just wanna say, I'd imagine the lack of Fite content was because the show is currently taped and not live. If I were a betting man, id say it will probably be back if and when it's okay to run arenas and congregate again.

Also agree Spears looked fantastic tonight. Best match since NXT hands down for him.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Wanted to add stuff
  • Like 1

“Don’t you understand if i lose to Jon Moxley next week I’m going to get divorced? No marriage counseling, no trial separation. I’m going to get fucking divorced. And I don’t want to get fucking divorced.”

Fine_20coffee-thumb-280x276-26441.jpg

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, (BP) said:

“Don’t you understand if i lose to Jon Moxley next week I’m going to get divorced? No marriage counseling, no trial separation. I’m going to get fucking divorced. And I don’t want to get fucking divorced.”

Fine_20coffee-thumb-280x276-26441.jpg

Knock it off Sammy. 

What?

I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Catalina goes shopping she buys SHIT. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen...

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 5

Watching this now

God Jake is incredible. You get the chills listening to him. If he's quarantined in a hotel cause of this it might've been worth it. 

Jericho is juiced up on the Grey Goose and killing it. "I tried to warn her but she couldn't hear me" ? Everyone here might be acting like Shida/Baker is some kinda GAIA main event or something but it's the shits, just like every Baker match. It started with that terrible Savate kick and didn't stop. I mean Jericho and Tony actively had to cover for her at times like Jericho saying "you know MMA guys really get injured by getting kicked in the kidneys" when she was botching. She is just piss poor and the blood didn't save it. 

100% unsurprised that Hager's wife looks like a Fox News anchorwoman. 

I want a copy of Shawn Spears' "NO MORE GARBAGE WRESTLING" shirt so I can wear it with duct tape over the first word. 

Best Friends vs. Omega/Nakazawa was a full-on DDT comedy match. Aubrey somehow keeps her composure and remains stonefaced the whole time. Tony and Chris can't at all. 

Cody/Spears was perfectly fine. Nice table bump. The pin was really weird though. Methinks they should have made the tournament longer, though if they're just doing one match a week, that'll work. They did a good job padding everything with the behind the scenes footage too. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1