DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

What a wonderfully dirty fighter. He doesn't have any tricks besides hitting you as fast and as hard as he can, but he'll do that. It might not work but he'll try. And when he hits right it's lights out. 

I would've liked two things in that: no jujigatame from Ohtani, and blood from Ohtani (I know I'm a vampire, but that match would've skyrocketed with some juice). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ishikawa vs Murakami!! Thanks @Curt McGirt! been waiting to see that for a while.

This showed up in my daily feed:

I'm often suspicious of matches that get this much hype... but in this case it truly seems justified. It's like a 30-minute version of MiSu vs Ishii, with higher stakes and more emotion. A great match? Yes, I think it genuinely is.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

I HAVE to repost this. Holy shit, this was a massacre. Thank you to @Cyanidefor finding this hidden gem. This is Takayama finally coming out of his shell as the supreme asskicker that he was gonna be, before Frye, before the great G1 run, still tied to Omori in No Fear before the dye-jobs. Kobashi and Akiyama eat so much shit in this match that THE CROWD TURNS AGAINST THEM. Of course Kobashi has to Hulk-Up but it isn't respected. This is some fucking Clubbering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To guys who've watched way more Japan wrestling than I have: what was with Akayama pulling his own partner off Takayama? Fear of a DQ seems weak given all that had gone on up to that point.

And Curt, to my ears, the crowd seemed pretty lit for the Hulk-Up at the end. Takayama nonetheless ruled and the crowd reactions acknowledged it. Hell of a match.

• Like 1

I'm sure someone can speak more authoritatively to the specific dynamics at play, but my view is Kobashi is essentially the Superman of wrestling in this period, and nobody wants to see the hero actively fight against an official to try and continue to brain a defenseless opponent, even if its a villain on the scale of Takayama. He had gone well past losing his cool, and Akiyama was trying to bring him back down to earth--more so in looking out for his partner's own sense of honor than expressing any immediate concern for the outcome of the match, I'd think.

• Like 2

I've got an awesome group of wrestling buddies  who are mostly into new stuff and going to live shows. One of them was watching some old WKs on World, and he was all like "Who knew that New Japan was putting on awesome matches way back in 2006?

So I went and looked up this match, to show them it goes back a little further than that (and so they can see where Great O-Khan gets his shtick from):

Man, I love this match! Heel Andre in Japan is just the greatest, and Khan is surprisingly good as a fired-up underdog.

• Like 4

Gordi, you gotta show them Andre/Hansen next. If they like this they're gonna FLIP over that. As it is, the Khan match is a fucking treasure, and not just for the clubbering but for the psychology. It's more about limbwork and an underdog vs. monster mentality than Andre/Hansen, but gets the same crowd reaction... and maybe even more, because they were throwing seat cushions like money in Mexico at the end. And then there's 

Spoiler

the beer bash in the ring with Dusty at the end. Fuck, that's awesome. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@DEAN

- Good Lord, that was amazing! 

- That crowd! That beautiful crazy Houston crowd!

- JR going with a cowboy hat was a good idea.

- Those are, like, the platonic ideal of a pro wrestling promo.

- I don't wanna be controversial, but in my opinion DiBiase and Duggan are both pretty good at stipulation matches. They should try having a match with all the stipulations.

• Like 2

Look how good DiBiase is in that first match - by doing nothing whilst Duggan just sells so much heat is generated, In essence, they skipped the first third of a match. DiBiase doesn't work the crowd, he just lets the babyface baby. Later, notice how TD bumps but has no time to sell really - Duggan is still the one doing all the action. So slick...

- RAF

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
7 hours ago, DEAN said:

So Ted DiBiase threw the best punches in pro wrestling.

I'd have Lawler as my #1 but Ted is right up there for sure.