DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

No lie, the loudest chairshot I have ever heard in my life was "King Kong" Brody vs. Jerry Blackwell circa 1984 (see results below thank you interwebhey it was a couple weeks before the clip). This is counting the ECW-era and even the ones that were given to me in that halcyon era of macho unprotection and concussion ignoring. "KK" Brody hit the artist formerly known as Sheikh Blackwell square on the noggin whilst brawling outside the ring and it must have been during a lull in the crowdnoise because the metal on fleshybone smack reverberated throughout the arena causing all of us to sharply intake our breaths. That chair crumpled like wet cardboard and Jerry went down dry and came up wet & crimson.

yowza,

RAF

10/7/84 – Rosemont, IL @ the Rosemont Horizon
Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke defeated Road Warriors & Paul Ellering
King Kong Brody drew Jerry Blackwell
Nick Bockwinkel defeated Tony Atlas via DQ
Fabulous Ones defeated Mr. Saito & Billy Robinson
Jim Brunzell defeated Larry Zbyszko
Brad Rheingans defeated Chris Markoff
Curt Hennig defeated Steve Regal
Reported Attendance: 8,300 (including a young Rev who went by himself which is sad to go to rassling by oneself and late era AWA is wistful anyway what with all the old folks going over)

• Like 1

Dude, he's really fucking good at mixing total stooge shit from Memphis and effective, frustrated heel stylings of more traditional territories. Sneaky great wrestler.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Larry being the most boring wrestler in the world is something that people just repeated when they discovered the internet to sound smart. Came from the same mythical well that Luger ran lightning fast from Brody, Sting was lazy etc. Stuff people said to sound smart then stuck with as much as to lie to their own eyes once they actually checked it out. 

Larry did stall when the crowd ate it up, and he did look like a history teacher. But many wrestlers stalled to the crowd when they could and didn’t when they couldn’t, and looked like history teachers lol!

I remember a match when he kept pulling the jobber up and arguing with the referee about the count, which he always did when somebody kicked out. And he did it just as if the jobber had kicked out so naturally with no pause or smirk or anything lol! That was what heels were made of at 1 time.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, DEAN said:

This match is clubberin' in between two big missed moves.  I knew Sarge was a bump freak.  Didn't know Schultz was one.

I'm late catching up on this thread, but I love the crowd chanting "USA" and waving American flags as Sarge vanquishes the foreign menace form Nashville, Tennessee.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

This is one of the best short matches of all time:

Two really great things about that match. 

1. Bock throwing his jacket at Larry's face and Larry acting like it was covered in glue. I swear I've seen a gag like that in one of the Naked Gun movies. 

2. Ray Stevens coming in with the piledriver and my immediate reaction being "He just killed Nick Bockwinkle". They should have stretchered him.

and of course go figure I make a joke pertaining to Hawaii and they make a Pearl Harbor reference three or four times

• Like 1

Speaking of great short matches- this match is 7 minutes and ends with a Ray Stevens piledriver.  Zbysko and Bockwinkle are totally solid gold in this.

• Like 1

FUCK THE WORLD.  THIS is the greatest short match ever.  Blackwell and Zbysko beat the living hell out of each other.

• Like 1

Bruiser Brody and Crusher Blackwell beat the crap out of each other, but King Kong Bundy does a cameo bladejob that is pretty amazing,

• Like 1

That was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. And what a WAR match it is, featuring two Tongan badasses, a Finnish neo-Nazi, and a Canadian ex-sumo from just down the road where I live. A very good big meaty men slappin' meat match ("BEEF!" indeed), with some fantastic double clotheslines. My favourite of the bunch was a bloodied Halme at the tail end of an asskicking trying to get out just leans into a Haku line and goes down due to blood less. Haku celebrates like he just killed a dude and in his trance allows Halme to make the tag. Haku instantly switches back into survival fight mode and then he and Barb throw it down. I wish the crowd gave a bit of a shit but that's always been an issue with WAR/SWS. They were there for Tenryu and inter-promotional conflict, everything else is just there 99% of the time.

Ending, while it made sense, did feel a bit abrupt. Halme was a bloody mess and beat the fuck up, so I get him not being able to make the save and it allowed Haku and 'Quake to basically work a handicap match against Barb. Barbarian had a pretty great moveset for a stereotypical '80s musclehead guy. That top rope lariat was fucking sweet. He also would hit a nice shoulder block from the top on occasion IIRC, which I wish a big modern day meathead would bring back as a legit finisher or at least a false finish. Gimme Lashley doing that! I mean, I wouldn't watch but I'd give an unofficial account on twitter a like and that counts, right? Oh and while talking about the greatness of Barbarian, that Powers of Pain/Rockers match from early '90 is one of the better WWF tag matches I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Curt Hennig's AWA championship run was pretty excellent.  Wahoo brings the stiff and Hennig bumps like a total freak.

• Like 1

A hidden gem for sure. There are some really neat proto 4 Pillars matches from the Jumbo era, including Kobashi vs. Taue I do believe. I remember overall swell guy Dynamic A made a Jumbo/Misawa feud tape that just ruled it. I had some of the tv but going through it chronologically is way more satisfying. 

• Like 2

I remember that match from my old VHS's of the early 90's TV, which honestly are probably my favourite block of shitty quality old tapes I ever had. I watched that stuff so much when I was younger that seeing any of it in a better video quality feels weird.

• Like 1

I was just speaking with somebody about how so much of my disposable income went to Jeff Lynch and later Dan Ginnetty when I got out of high school and was going through university. Of course, it should've been going towards student loans but that's just that thing... 

Had the 92 and 93 Japan TV from Lynch and then some of his 82-84 TV which wasn't as clean and complete but still awesome. I remember being blown away by how good Fujinami was on the mat and how tremendous of a presence Choshu had. That match of his from 1984 vs. Inoki (it's on World) is one of the best matches nobody talks about. It's probably the best match of Inoki's I've seen. Inoki is the establishment, Choshu is the revolutionary force wanting change. Inoki is really stable in his movements. He often takes the centre of the ring and watches the frenetic Choshu revolve around him in circles. Inoki counters a lot of Choshu's blistering attacks. Just a really great, emotional, smart match. There was also a Fujinami/Backlund match from '83 or '84 that cut off due to TV time remaining and I was furious. They were having an absolute clinic with jaw dropping hold exchanges done with a combination of agility and power rarely seen then or even today. Good times.

Taue's a weird one. He's gangly and his overhand Baba chops look like shit in comparison to the other three all time great strikers he was in there with. But he was smart and played his role as the "4th guy" perfectly, knowing when to pick his spots and be a mean bastard while never feeling like dead weight. That '95 run he had was so great.

To keep it on topic and I don't think it has been posted, this is, I believe, the first of the Fire & Ice vs. Steiners matches from their series in '96.

They be clubberin', Tony.

• Like 1

Oh man, Wahoo hits a 1973 Apter mag-level gusher.  Eh, maybe not.  They do beat the hell out of each other and Hennig bumps like a total psycho.

• Like 1

The feud that Austin Idol bitched about the most.

EDIT:  Hansen mauling everyone having to do with the match is so the greatness of Stan Hansen.

• Like 1