DVDVR Message Board

It's Clubberin' Time!

2 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

TFunk and BEaton would also be in my Ten Top. Are there any modern era folks that y'all would call out for fantabulous punching or is it a lost art?

- RAF

I'd say "lost art".  Everybody switched to knife-edge chops and forearms.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

TFunk and BEaton would also be in my Ten Top. Are there any modern era folks that y'all would call out for fantabulous punching or is it a lost art?

- RAF

I'd say that I think of top modern offensive wrestlers more as strikers than punchers. I'm always hesitant to trot out the 'rasslin was better in the old days' line but my top ten punchers would be territory guys most likely.

I might be the low voter on Juice Robinson around here, but that guy can throw a pretty good punch.

Also, it strikes me as crazy that more than a few members of the AEW roster throw some weak-looking strikes when Dustin Rhodes, one of the best punchers "in the business," is right there for them to learn from.

I'm trying really hard to think of one more so I can "rule of three" this...

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I might be the low voter on Juice Robinson around here, but that guy can throw a pretty good punch.

Also, it strikes me as crazy that more than a few members of the AEW roster throw some weak-looking strikes when Dustin Rhodes, one of the best punchers "in the business," is right there for them to learn from.

I'm trying really hard to think of one more so I can "rule of three" this...

Dustin is a great shout, I've seen little of Robinson so I'll take a look. 

This is another Stan Hansen/ Bob Bachlund match where they beat the living hell out of each other.  Hansen is obviously awesome.  Bachlund is underrated awesome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yumiko Hotta and Grizzley Iwamoto kick each other in the face for ten minutes.  Grizzley has awesome Lita Ford In The Runaways hair.

Scott Hall and Kerry Von Erich of all people had some of the best worked punches that looked real. Bret Hart did also. Bobby Eaton’s were closed fists that he opened and slapped with at the last second. There was something cool about them for some reason, but that reason wasn’t because they were good strikes lol! 

On 4/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Here you go @El Gran Gordi: eight minutes of Flash getting battered by the proto-Brock Lesnar, Ludwig Borga. Scott hits a freak MMA slam out of nowhere too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Just a 100 percent pure uncut kaiju battle there. 

Speaking of which, look what just showed up in my feed. Dusty vs King Kong Bundy in a TAPED FIST MATCH! In the Superdome!

Oh, how I wish we could hear the crowd more clearly in this one:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What did Dusty think about the polka dots and shit in WWF? Surely he said something in his autobio. 

I wonder about that, too.

Here's what Arn thought about it:

And here's a transcription from 411mania of what JR said about it on his podcast (both men have similar takes on why he did it):

On if Vince McMahon meant for the gimmick to be a rib: “I think it was. Look, Bruce was there, I wasn’t. I know Bruce [Prichard] loved Dusty as much as I did, and a lot of the rest of us that were fans of his work. Big fans of his work. I think there’s a little evilness, a little mischievous bent on the Dusty characterization. Why? Again, who knows.”

“I think it was a rib. I have a hard time being able to defend that it wasn’t. And I think Dusty was the key player with the competition and without calling out the competition, without doing any Billionare Ted skits as we saw later on, I think that it was a subtle way to throw a little shade on Dusty because he was a top babyface, the booker, and the owner’s right hand man.”

On why Vince McMahon would want to take a known star like Dusty and give him a gimmick like that: “You gotta wonder what the motivation for that was. ‘Well, it was Vince [McMahon].’ OK, we got that folks, we got that. Of course it was Vince. You think it was Howard? Howard Finkel? No, Howard didn’t have anything to do with it. I’m being facetious. But my question, why would Vince want to humiliate Dusty, or was it all about Vince proving that he could change even the biggest of stars into something that was more readily accessible in Vince’s imagination, and he could do it with anybody, anytime. Because why would you change 25 years of heavy duty marketing for a name if you’re buying a product. And that’s what Dusty was, a product. He had great name identity as Dusty Rhodes ‘The American Dream.’ He was everything you wanted this ‘Common Man’ character to be, but just change the name because you can. Bad reason. Bad logic.”

On why Dusty agreed to do the gimmick: “Here’s the thing man, people say ‘Why did he do it?’ Let me tell you why he did it. He did it to feed his family. He did it to provide his family a roof, groceries, education, transportation, all that good stuff. What Dads do. And like a lot of guys, that are old territory born and developed guys, a lot of these cats got paid every night back in the early days, in cash, and a lot of them saved nothing. I’m not saying Dusty didn’t save a lot of money, I’m not saying that whatsoever, because I don’t know. But my thoughts are, if I had to bet, he was not unlike any of the other boys in that era, they spent what they made, and sometimes a little bit more. So he simply did that gig because it was the best opportunity he had to make north of six figures and take care of his family. And that was the reason.”

On bringing up the gimmick to Dusty years later: “I brought it up to him [Dusty] years later, maybe after six or eight beers, or after a Texas win at the Cotton Bowl or something, just to bullsh*t with him about those polka dots. And he’d look at you like, ‘Alright, I know, go ahead, go ahead.’ So, he knew what was happening.”

• 2 weeks later...

Brett Ison vs Eddie Kingston for ICW No Holds Barred. Eddie's first post pandemic match/ last match before he wrestled Cody on Dynamite.