DVDVR Message Board

AWESOME APRIL: GROUP C

RIPPA

Awesome April: GROUP C POOL  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Choose TWO (2)

• DAN: Daniel Bryan, Dan Severn, Dan Spivey, Danny Collins, Dan Kroffat
    • DAVE/DAVEY: Davey Boy Smith, David Starr, Dave Finlay, Dave Bautista, Dave Mastiff
    • JACK: Jack Lanza, Cactus Jack, Jack Gallagher, Jack Brisco, Jack Evans
    • JEFF: Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Jeff Cobb, Jeff Peterson, Jeff Gaylord
    • PAUL: Triple H, Paul London, Paul Wight (Big Show), Paul Orndorff, Paul Roma
    • RICKY: Ricky Steamboat, Ricky Morton, Ricky Banderas, Ricky Fuyuki, Ricky Marvin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/2020 at 09:00 PM

CHOOSE TWO (2) NAMES (it is the honor system but I can see if you voted for more than 2)

Top 2 Teams advance

Poll Choices are done in alphabetical order

Poll Open Until Saturday 5 PM EST (for now)

Dan was a no brainer (Kroffat might be my low key favorite AJPW 90s guy). But I struggled a bit with the second choice before going with Ricky. Still you get 2/3 of the best babyfaces of all time, so there's something there. 

Gaylord has to be the worst guy in this whole thing, and that's in the same vote with Roma.

36 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Gaylord has to be the worst guy in this whole thing, and that's in the same vote with Roma.

I thought you would say that about Brody

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I thought you would say that about Brody

There are a number of very good Brody matches, especially pre-80 (really pre-78) with a handful after. The issue with Brody is far more the hero worship than the wrestler himself. If he was accurately regarded, then you could look at him like anyone else. Even that said, even the worst of Brody is still probably better than the best of Gaylord. The worst of Brody wasn't because he was a bad wrestler, but because he was the most selfish wrestler that ever lived. Gaylord couldn't have managed the sort of wrestling proficiency necessary for that.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The issue is far more the hero worship than the wrestler himself

I think this applies to at least a dozen wrestlers for me

Amusing as Matt didnt vote for Team Matt, I also must vote against team Daniel.

Team Jack I’m voting for in pure “this team might be the most bizarre group of individuals possible and I love them.”

Becomes a coin flip between Dave and Ricky for me. I love Finlay, a lot, and I like Batista a good deal, but the best babyface team that never was is calling, and I like Banderas a lot too.

Jack and Ricky.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I think this applies to at least a dozen wrestlers for me

Sure, but the gap between worship and footage is worst with Brody. With someone like Angle, at least half the reason people like him are accurate relative to the reasons they claim to like him (they're just wrong in general) and they've probably watched more than enough matches to back up what they say. That's not at all the case with Brody. 

2 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Becomes a coin flip between Dave and Ricky for me. I love Finlay, a lot, and I like Batista a good deal, but the best babyface team that never was is calling, and I like Banderas a lot too.

As far as I know, this is it:

I went Ricky and Dave. 

I voted before I realised that Ricky Fuji was not Ricky Fuyuki. At any rate, Fuyuki deserves a mention here for his appearance, such as it was, in the Kanemura vs. Hashimoto barbed wire death match, so I feel like the Japanese Indy Sleaze is still well represented.

Dave got my vote because I love me some cannonballs into the corner. David Starr's ridiculous and ever expanding ring announcement was the tiebreaker over Daniel.

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As far as I know, this is it:

The deeper thought on the subject of ultimate babyface tag teams brought me back to booking Georgia in the most recent PWO booking thing before my schedule blew up, and how I was going to run 6 or so months of Ricky Steamboat teaming with Rick Martel against the Andersons and Shieks.

Still annoyed I didn’t get a chance to continue that. I had DiBiase, Race, Steamboat, Martel, Blackwell, Patera, Mr. Santo, Arn, and Ole on the same roster ?

Team Jack possibly getting the boot in spite of being the most insane team ever makes me sad. Jack Briscoe tagging into Jack Evans who proceeds to break dance, Jack Gallagher gaining advantage through his technical mastery to tag in fucking Cactus Jack. This team not even getting a round would be a shame. I’d pay money to watch those characters interact with each other.

• RIPPA locked this topic