DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hell, no one is going to come right out and say it. Dana shot down UFC being sold for months up until the week of damn near.

Of course. I'm just saying, if Vince is actively shopping it now, that's new. I'm not saying he would come out and say it (unless he though he could drive the price up that way, the way Fox very publicly put itself up for sale and got a counter bidder)

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Of course. I'm just saying, if Vince is actively shopping it now, that's new. I'm not saying he would come out and say it (unless he though he could drive the price up that way, the way Fox very publicly put itself up for sale and got a counter bidder)

Actively shopping would imply there is just a laundry list of potential buyers. I think with WWE, it's going to be a few media conglomerates with a realistic shot and whether or not they're willing to play ball. Otherwise, I wouldn't say it's shopping.

If no one comes up with the right price, then it's not for sale.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Maybe Vince wants to sell it because he's finally decided that neither Shane nor Steph should actually inherit the company.

• Haha 1

As for why buy now, I'm guessing the price would be a bit lower than it normally would be otherwise, no? Or at least, the likelihood of Vince settling for something a little less than his likely outrageous starting number would be higher.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

As for why buy now, I'm guessing the price would be a bit lower than it normally would be otherwise, no? Or at least, the likelihood of Vince settling for something a little less than his likely outrageous starting number would be higher.

I would say it would have to be more than just a bit lower. This would be the definition of "selling low".

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if there are any billionaire sports owners who might be interested in buying the company. 

I’m ready for Jerry Jones’s WWE. Unless you meant Shahid Khan showing up on a live Raw from Club La Vela.

In all seriousness I can see a sell to Disney or Fox happening. 

From 411 mania.

" Kevin Dunn has sold some of his shares of WWE stock according to a new SEC filing. According to the filing that WWE made, Dunn sold 33,000 shares of Class A Common Stock on Wednesday at a range of $45.14 to $46.03 per share for $1,500,180.

The filing notes that Dunn has 125,361 shares of company stock remaining."

Edited by D.Z

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Silent Stan can buy them and penny pinch them to death like with Arsenal. 

or Vince could sell to the Saudi PIF instead of them buying Newcastle. 

I've heard a different Stan is interested in buying the company: Invisible Stan. Apparently he made billions in invisible dollars working for GCW he plans to use to acquire the company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Vince should try and find a buyer on Shark Tank.

I'd love to see broke-ass Kevin O'Leary's offer.

O'Leary: "Mr. Wonderful will offer you 250K and 15% of the revenues from future pay-per-view sales and TV rights deals for another thirty years after that. Great deal. Whaddya say?"

Vince (confused): WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT PAUL ORNDORFF, PAL?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Rooneys could buy it so that all the gross people I cheer for every week despite the terrible things they've allegedly done can be lumped together in one giant ball of cognitive dissonance

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
For those who may be offended, I wanna clarify I was completely joking: I don't watch WWE!
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If Yokozuna was around in the 00s, I wonder what his gimmick would be? I could see him being a Singles version of 3 minute warning because he was a huge hip hop fan. Nash always credits Yoko as his inspiration for alot of the NWOs presentation with the gang signs and the street clothes, listening to Mack 10 and west coast hip hop. According to Konnan, Yoko was the only person in wrestling with street credibility, I guess besides Ahmed Johnson after I saw that picture of him with some legit Blood members in his WWF logo shirt. Even towards the end of his WWF run Yoko was doing promos in his real voice so I could image him going with a completely different gimmick. I liked the Yokozuna gimmick but I often wonder if they didn't go with Sgt Slaughters Sumo idea how different would he be if he embraced his Samoan heritage. Maybe he wouldn't have been pressured to get so much heavier than he got being a Sumo 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

If Yokozuna was around in the 00s, I wonder what his gimmick would be? I could see him being a Singles version of 3 minute warning because he was a huge hip hop fan. Nash always credits Yoko as his inspiration for alot of the NWOs presentation with the gang signs and the street clothes, listening to Mack 10 and west coast hip hop. According to Konnan, Yoko was the only person in wrestling with street credibility, I guess besides Ahmed Johnson after I saw that picture of him with some legit Blood members in his WWF logo shirt. Even towards the end of his WWF run Yoko was doing promos in his real voice so I could image him going with a completely different gimmick. I liked the Yokozuna gimmick but I often wonder if they didn't go with Sgt Slaughters Sumo idea how different would he be if he embraced his Samoan heritage. Maybe he wouldn't have been pressured to get so much heavier than he got being a Sumo 

If Yoko is around in the 2000's, he probably ends up with Rikishi's gimmick.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Yoko is around in the 2000's, he probably ends up with Rikishi's gimmick.

Speaking of Yoko he is part of one of the seedier things I've ever seen at a wrestling show: shortly after he died I was at an indy show in Hartford and there was a guy selling signed photos of Yoko and alerting potential buyers that due to him being deceased no more would ever be produced. My first thought was "That's really scummy". My second thought was "I bet this guy is pulling a David Von Erich/WCCW style fake autograph scam". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I can easily see Russo turning Yoko into a Yakuza boss in 1999 with Kaientai doing his bidding.

That actually sounds fucking awesome 

I don't think it would have gotten very far. Didn't Tajiri's Yakuza-like stable get kiboshed quickly because Tajiri was afraid pissing off the Yakuza?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think it would have gotten very far. Didn't Tajiri's Yakuza-like stable get kiboshed quickly because Tajiri was afraid pissing off the Yakuza?

Just give me one segment with Yoko talking shit while Dick Togo sentons some ham and egger and its a win in my book.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1