DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tequila Sunrise: Laziest looking submission ever.

Momo Watanabe has the best Tequila Sunrise. Why? Because she said fuck it and stole the name for her half and half suplex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think a heel commentator just being like, "Apparently at Ann Arbor, the "special tutoring" the athletes get expands to tests and exams" or "One of my kids has  a teacher who also graduated with an education degree from Michigan. If that's the type of person who can get one of those, I'm pulling my kid out of that classroom right now" would be enough.

But Heyman talking about Arachnaman being a standout in his college's spin class would be excellent, too. 

On another note, I think Jesse Ventura works a bit better in WCW than he did in WWF on color because I think he had a tendency to undermine Monsoon on PBP by rightly pointing out what dicks most of the faces would act like; this happened less in WCW because WCW's top faces weren't consistently acting like  complete bullies and assholes. 

I mean, I love Ventura on commentary no matter what, but I just think his schtick was a better fit in WCW for that reason. 

Little-known fact: Arachnaman taught weaving between tapings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I love that call so much. Dustin and Excalibur losing their shit is pure joy. It's impossible for me to not laugh or smile when Excalibur's voice goes up by a full octave and Dustin lets out the best "HAHAHAHAHAHA."

Also, another example of why I think Brian Cage looks fucking weird.

Man, that clip makes me sad. No reseda, no Chuck on commentary, very few dope dudes left on the roster. ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Man, that clip makes me sad. No reseda, no Chuck on commentary, very few dope dudes left on the roster. ?

At the same time, it should make you somewhat happy to see where so many of them wound up. I think I'm happiest for Chucky. I've loved that guy for so long and dreaded him somehow winding up in WWE where he would have been useless. Instead he got to have a short run in NJPW and now he's one of the focal points of the AEW tag division with Trent. Now if we could somehow get Dustin to start live tweeting AEW shows.

Also, the one time I recently got annoyed with JR (I know most of you get annoyed with him constantly) was talking about how Chuck has a big frame and should put muscle on. How about fuck off? How about the dude is already in pretty good shape and not everyone that tall needs to look jacked. Can you imagine what he'd look like if he bulked up and put on muscle? It would be totally shitty. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At the same time, it should make you somewhat happy to see where so many of them wound up. I think I'm happiest for Chucky. I've loved that guy for so long and dreaded him somehow winding up in WWE where he would have been useless. Instead he got to have a short run in NJPW and now he's one of the focal points of the AEW tag division with Trent. Now if we could somehow get Dustin to start live tweeting AEW shows.

Also, the one time I recently got annoyed with JR (I know most of you get annoyed with him constantly) was talking about how Chuck has a big frame and should put muscle on. How about fuck off? How about the dude is already in pretty good shape and not everyone that tall needs to look jacked. Can you imagine what he'd look like if he bulked up and put on muscle? It would be totally shitty. 

I caught that too and it pissed me off. Variety is the spice of life and pro wrestling - if I wanted yolked up dudes 100% of the time, I'd watch WWE; I don't, so I don't. 

A big reason I think it was gross, and I think some others here posted this in the Dynamite thread that week, is I immediately got flashbacks to Beyond The Mat after Michael Modest and Tony Jones had their WWF dark match, where JR casually told Jones to put on 25 lbs of muscle. C'mon man.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I caught that too and it pissed me off. Variety is the spice of life and pro wrestling - if I wanted yolked up dudes 100% of the time, I'd watch WWE; I don't, so I don't. 

A big reason I think it was gross, and I think some others here posted this in the Dynamite thread that week, is I immediately got flashbacks to Beyond The Mat after Michael Modest and Tony Jones had their WWF dark match, where JR casually told Jones to put on 25 lbs of muscle. C'mon man.

Yeah, that was me who posted that.  As I said, Ross was the talent relations point man in a timeframe where women were being pushed to be skinny and get implants and guys were pushed to get on the gas.  If he's not with WWE anymore, he needs to never mention a worker's appearance again. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Definitely not for everybody. I get that for sure.

So, here's something super unrelated... How great was Konnan? Looked cool, had the sickest moveset, great talker, got southerners to chant "viva la raza" en masse, got gassed on the way to the ring to the point he was dangerously throwing/dropping guys on their domes. I think I kind of love Konnan only semi-ironically. 

The biggest thing that got me about Wolfpack Konnan and beyond was he would say the exact same thing week-in-week-out.  "You know them fools in the black and white be talkin about that for life but K-Dawg and the Wolfpac somos unos Vatos Locos forever but more importantly (name of the city) is bout it bout it and rowdy rowdy!"  Every goddamn week.  Then when he was with the Filthy Animals, he'd come out and talk about his jacket then say to Tigress "Go ahead, feel it.  That's enough".  And it was the same spiel every week.  I used to yell at the TV: "Shut up! Say something else!" 

That was very WCW, though.  Where WWE now has signature spots that they insist on wrestlers working in EVERY match whether it makes sense or not (Sami's backflip off the guardrail; Ambrose's rebound lariat etc. etc.), late-era WCW tried to have catchphrases for everyone.  But Konnan was not the first offender.  That, my friends, was Rick Steiner who would come to the ring and just say "If you want some, come get some.  If you don't like me, bite me."  and it was all he ever said.  Every week.  Every. Single. Week. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Zeb Culter is spreading a rumor that Vince is shopping the company to either Fox, or Disney.

FWIW I reached out to a friend in production there after reading your post - their response was "Heard that too, and I dunno..." Take that as you will, I guess.

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is it still a cosmetic and appearance business? 

if not, then I guess people can look however they want. 

But the thing is, variety. If everybody is, or even the majority of people are, body guys, it just means nobody is. You can't do a gimmick that's not unique to you. The skinny guys make the jacked guys look bigger. Short guys make the tall guys look bigger. Marko Stunt was a genius signing.

If you hire the Baldies, everyone else must have hair. Or join them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Chuck should tell JR that he played football once, to get him off his back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Live Events with fans could return soon in Florida. June July ish.

Where’s this coming from? I did read a story on Yahoo saying the NBA night finish their season in Orlando, but it didn’t reference fans at all.

44 minutes ago, caley said:

The biggest thing that got me about Wolfpack Konnan and beyond was he would say the exact same thing week-in-week-out.  "You know them fools in the black and white be talkin about that for life but K-Dawg and the Wolfpac somos unos Vatos Locos forever but more importantly (name of the city) is bout it bout it and rowdy rowdy!"  Every goddamn week.  Then when he was with the Filthy Animals, he'd come out and talk about his jacket then say to Tigress "Go ahead, feel it.  That's enough".  And it was the same spiel every week.  I used to yell at the TV: "Shut up! Say something else!" 

That was very WCW, though.  Where WWE now has signature spots that they insist on wrestlers working in EVERY match whether it makes sense or not (Sami's backflip off the guardrail; Ambrose's rebound lariat etc. etc.), late-era WCW tried to have catchphrases for everyone.  But Konnan was not the first offender.  That, my friends, was Rick Steiner who would come to the ring and just say "If you want some, come get some.  If you don't like me, bite me."  and it was all he ever said.  Every week.  Every. Single. Week. 

K-Dawg was an instant channel changer for me because of that exact spiel ad-nauseum.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Where’s this coming from? I did read a story on Yahoo saying the NBA night finish their season in Orlando, but it didn’t reference fans at all.

The governor said this yesterday

DeSantis looked ahead to this summer and said it's possible that we will see some fans at live events in June or July, depending on what happens with the COVID-19 trends.

"We got UFC to come to Jacksonville. Again, there's not going to be any fans, but I think that's going to be a good event for people. I worked with Phil Mickelson on making sure they have what they need for that Tiger Woods match," DeSantis continued. "So there's going to be a lot of good stuff going on but I don't think we're probably ready to have fans, but I do think, if the trends are good, I think as you get into June, July, I think there is a window to have some fans. You're not going to have everyone packed in, but man in 90-degree weather in the state of Florida, if you're out there and someone's 10 feet away from you and you want to watch a ballgame or something, you may be able to do that.

"So this is something that we're just going to have to do. We'll be driven by the facts, driven by the data. But I think that Major League Baseball coming back, I'm hearing this, I think that that's going to be exciting for a lot of people and I just think that there's going to be a lot of possibilities, so let's just be resourceful and creative."

41 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

FWIW I reached out to a friend in production there after reading your post - their response was "Heard that too, and I dunno..." Take that as you will, I guess.

Listen, I wouldn’t say it’s true, but with franchises like Marvel, and Star Wars selling to bigger companies over the past decade, it’s definitely crossed my that Vince would do something like this sooner or later. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Listen, I wouldn’t say it’s true, but with franchises like Marvel, and Star Wars selling to bigger companies over the past decade, it’s definitely crossed my that Vince would do something like this sooner or later. 

The problem is both Vince and for that matter, Bob Arum w/ Top Rank, are going to want several billion just like the UFC purchase. I mean Arum is set to turn ninety years old late next year so with him, he'd rather it be sooner rather than later. I think because of that and already having a deal with ESPN, somebody can talk Arum's crazy old codger ass into getting off the ridiculous sum of $4 billion and have him sale to the mouse at a much more reasonable price. Vince...I dunno as far as compromising. He's going to have a number. They're going to have a number far lower than that. They would have to sweeten the deal significantly, or Vince will have to give in. You decide which one is more likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Zeb Culter is spreading a rumor that Vince is shopping the company to either Fox, or Disney.

Unless they know something we don't, I can't imagine why anyone would buy a live event business right now.  Unless the price is really good, but I can't imagine Vince selling the company cheaply.

I mean, if I got a chance to buy an NFL club during a pandemic, I'd probably go for it.  But a pro wrestling company that wasn't pulling great ratings anyway?  The forecasts I've seen at work suggest clients are going to start pouring ad dollars into streaming platforms and away from traditional television outlets.  It's tough to sell advertising on pro wrestling shows anyway.  Going to get a lot tougher.