DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

That's 1994-1995 Vince poking his head out again. This is on that level of stuff you read in guys' books, like Austin being given a list of names like Ice Dagger or Chilly McFreeze, or those really weird concept drawings that come out sometimes that show early drafts of Minotaur or whatever. In my opinion, the longer time goes on, the more shit like this is representative of the baseline norm of Vince as a creative mind more than the (relatively speaking) short term bursts of massive success in the 80s and late 90s.

(And I stress that I'm talking about the creative success, not necessarily just the financial so I'm not applying it to the successful years they've had more recently with the Saudi money and stupid TV deals and all that).

On the flip side of the coin, however, Vince may have gone to his creative and said "I hate these guys, I hate tags period, they're constantly complaining even though I've put the belts on them 37 times, and they're fucking southern, so just give me the absolute worst thing you have."

Either scenario is perfectly plausible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I'm shocked it wasn't a dancing gimmick to be honest. 

Pictures don't dance. Look at that chain dude; that's a dancing gimmick. No doubt in my mind.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I just noticed they're holding glowsticks too
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's 1994-1995 Vince poking his head out again. This is on that level of stuff you read in guys' books, like Austin being given a list of names like Ice Dagger or Chilly McFreeze, or those really weird concept drawings that come out sometimes that show early drafts of Minotaur or whatever. In my opinion, the longer time goes on, the more shit like this is representative of the baseline norm of Vince as a creative mind more than the (relatively speaking) short term bursts of massive success in the 80s and late 90s.

Honestly, the things like Austin's list of names like Ice Dagger or Chilly McFreeze sounded bad in Mankind's book, but Jericho's second book, showing the plans they made for the Walls of Jericho's finisher, makes it seem much less innocent and becomes clear that those lists of names are basically just "oh, these are the results of a brainstorming session." No different than any other company- if you have a brainstorming session, you're going to have a large amount of ideas, and inevitably a few of those ideas are going to be so awe-inspiringly stupid that your brain tries to gnaw your spinal cord off so it can escape like a fox caught in a steel trap. 

the worst part of the concept artwork was more the fact that in most of those- were they wearing the exact same thing Los Matadores were wearing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Pictures don't dance. Look at that chain dude; that's a dancing gimmick. No doubt in my mind.

I’m sure in Vince’s mind it’s been too long since a wrestler has musically implored us to call their momma. 

• Haha 3

It just seems so odd you'd waste time on doing anything with a duo you know is leaving. I know it's wrestling and you apparently are required to humiliate them if they are leaving but you have this massive roster. Just move on to give someone else tv time. Asinine in this day and age to spend time being this stupidly petty... but then I remember it's booked solely to appeal to Vince. Then. Now. Forever. 

12 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That’s part of it, but not the whole story. The bow ties, the lip stick, I need to know more. Whoever leaked these half-assed it by providing zero explanation. 

I think it was Dawson that leaked it. Supposedly.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think it was Dawson that leaked it. Supposedly.

Just like that post in the Release thread within the past day or so... about how WWE tries to intentionally devalue those who are leaving.

I think this was The Revival's way of responding. 

• Thanks 2

So (not) in AEW, the next big match is Nick Jackson vs Matt Jackson, on BTE 200. Meanwhile in Impact, the throwback match a couple of weeks ago was, by pure coincidence, an X Division six-way scramble featuring both members of Generation Me. Jeremy Buck even eliminated his brother Max!

(It was nothing to do with the BTE angle. It was actually building up Johnny Swinger vs Mike Jackson. Yes, the guy who was in his mid 40s twenty five years ago. He's a 70 year old now.)

Twitter wants to cancel Cody Rhodes, because he liked a tweet by Rovert.

It was a well dodgy tweet though: