DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 4/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd heard that he was considering winding it down after this contract, but I don't think I've heard what the Certain people are saying. Do tell. 

Joe Lanza on the Voices of Wrestling podcast Flaship show insist that Bryan is unhappy with his run and he only resigned because of Brie and considers WWE a Parody of Wrestling 

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I haven’t seen it myself, but apparently the new Observer notes that Vince has forbidden anyone to mention Roman Reign’s name on tv.

Lol, Vince is unbelievably petty.  I assume that, if Roman does eventually return, Vince will treat him like a jobber for abandoning the company.  

Didn't Roman tweet or Reply to a retweet as if he was going to eventually challenge For the Title? This was a few days ago IIRC

5 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If the nba is getting zero cash from their multi-billion dollar tv deals, it’s safe to say Vince was told the same thing. Not saying anything is justified, but if nba shuts down and makes zero than so does wwe. 

I think the argument about the WWE wasn't them doing it at all, it was the live vs taped aspect. Going live every week in front of no crowd is just really dumb (unless there is some out for Fox/USA if there isn't a certain number of live shows, and the only thing fueling that rumor is speculation and a cryptic Meltzer tweet).

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

I think the argument about the WWE wasn't them doing it at all, it was the live vs taped aspect. Going live every week in front of no crowd is just really dumb (unless there is some out for Fox/USA if there isn't a certain number of live shows, and the only thing fueling that rumor is speculation and a cryptic Meltzer tweet).

Someone reported the number of live shows vs. taped shows WWE's contract with Fox calls for.  Don't think it's speculation.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Didn't Roman tweet or Reply to a retweet as if he was going to eventually challenge For the Title? This was a few days ago IIRC

No clue.  I don't follow any wrestlers/wrestling journalists on social media. I don't recall that being mentioned here.

Meltzer going on and on about how Howard Finkel should have been allowed to continue ring announcing no matter how old he looked, and then he's constantly harping about how "such and such has a great look and should be in the main event" is really irritating me.

Which one is it, Dave?

Last I checked, we now live in an era where body shaming and judging people by their physical appearance is considered politically incorrect.  That means that even if a guy has a beer gut, pasty skin, and man boobs, if he's a worker on the level of Misawa or has the charisma of Hogan, he should be a main event world champion.

Edited by Southside Jim

Okay, this video that Stardom posted this morning of Queen's Quest enjoying hibachi with Manabu Nakanishi is tremendous. 

The auto-translate makes it even better, it translated a sentence from Nakanishi as "No, I'm showing my body, it's healthy and I want or need legs."

9 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

So here's a completely unrelated question: I've been putting together like Wrasslin Mixtapes for friends, one per two weeks, and I've been working with themes. I have a good theme now but I'm trying to see if there's people I'm missing.

The theme is Folklore Characters, which is to say wrestlers that have more of a specific mystique and niche in wrestling history outside of the norm. The names I came up with are:

Cassandro
Ox Baker
Necro Butcher
Survival Tobita
Gypsy Joe
Mike Quackenbush*
Great Sasuke
Mecha Mummy
Bull Curry
Tom Magee

Anyone else come to mind?

*to explain my reasoning: quack's weird quasi-self-taught parallel universe WOS/lucha is, i think, kind of the apex of what someone can achieve with raw wrestling nerddom and tape study, highlighted by him being able to parlay that into actually great matches with legends in those styles

Orange Cassidy 

Mokujin Ken (although Tobita will probably cover him)

Ebessan

Danshuko Dino

Edited by Ultimo Necro

9 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

That means that even if a guy has a beer gut, pasty skin, and man boobs, if he's a worker on the level of Misawa or has the charisma of Hogan, he should be a main event world champion.

Phil Hickerson looked like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and he was a main guy in 80s Memphis for years. Who knew Lawler was so progressive?

Guest Edwin
16 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Joe Lanza on the Voices of Wrestling podcast Flaship show insist that Bryan is unhappy with his run and he only resigned because of Brie and considers WWE a Parody of Wrestling 

Joe Lanza? No idea who he is, but a quick search says he's another random fan with a podcast and a Twitter account, so not sure how he would know that.

Edited by Edwin

10 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Meltzer going on and on about how Howard Finkel should have been allowed to continue ring announcing no matter how old he looked, and then he's constantly harping about how "such and such has a great look and should be in the main event" is really irritating me.

Which one is it, Dave?

Last I checked, we now live in an era where body shaming and judging people by their physical appearance is considered politically incorrect.  That means that even if a guy has a beer gut, pasty skin, and man boobs, if he's a worker on the level of Misawa or has the charisma of Hogan, he should be a main event world champion.

He may have different cosmetic standards for wrestlers and other on-screen talent. Just a thought. 

Guest Edwin

Watching the Daniel Bryan & Drew Gulak matches with the Artist Collective from these past weeks and there's a ton of really good stuff there as expected. Glad to see Gulak get a chance to shine thanks to Bryan.

Zayn as the Liberator is the highlight for me, though. He was absolutely incredible at WM. "Oh, Bryan, let's talk... Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch." ?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, but how is his Flippy Cup game?

I'll have you know, a number of times when he played Flippy Cup, the members of the other team would go to him, with tears in their eyes, and say "You are truly the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be." The members of the other team then died the next day.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, but how is his Flippy Cup game?

He decided that the Flippy Cup would be better if someone got some color. He offered to do it for the other team and it worked out because he convinced higher ups it was hardway and no one got in trouble. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1