DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

In a statement to ESPN Saturday, WWE addressed their return to live programming starting Monday, their first official acknowledgement of the move since the story broke Friday night. 

The statement read:

"We believe it is now more important than ever to provide people with a diversion from these hard times. We are producing content on a closed set with only essential personnel in attendance following appropriate guidelines while taking additional precautions to ensure the health and wellness of our performers and staff. As a brand that has been woven into the fabric of society, WWE and its Superstars bring families together and deliver a sense of hope, determination and perseverance."

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I'm not opposed to Ronda coming back. As much of a god damn weirdo as she is in real life, she's arguably one of the best rookies to come down the pike in a long time. And there's still money to be made with her having unfinished business with Becky and such(if I had my way, rip off the Rocky movies. Becky=Rocky, Shayna=Clubber Lang, Ronda=Creed). But for FUCK'S SAKE, I am so tired of the Russo esque "all of this other bullshit is fake, I'm real" that keeps finding it's way back into wrestling. You can promote that the MMA crew have more street cred(like in Becky's promo where she talked about how "people like me don't beat trained killers like you")then your average wrestler but I don't give a fuck about who could beat who in a real fight. When I want to see real fights, I watch UFC.

I'm just a jabroni mark without a life, but all I want is emotional investment in the two people fighting and a story that makes just a small bit of sense as to why they are fighting. People didn't like the boneyard match thinking Undertaker could legit beat Styles, they liked it because everyone involved embraced the over the top stupid of the entire concept and ran with it. It was different, and it used the "real" aspects in a way that made sense ("How old am I? What's my wife's name?")

Go film another movie trailer about some giant tables with Dvon Dudley and shut up, Ronda

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Wasn't one of the early UFC shows booked as a big guy vs small guy tournament with quite a disparity in weight classes?

I wouldn't say it was necessarily big guy vs. small guy every fight but the first five or six UFCs were like that. After Royce Gracie left, there were less and less gross disparities. Then at UFC 12 in 1997, they started having weight classes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I forgot who used it, but there was definitely a Judas Effect at Wrestlemania done in a "don't blink or you'll miss it" kind of way.

8 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

didn't Andrade use it on raw?

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

If Vince wants to really fuck with AEW, how come he doesn't order all of his wrestlers to start using the Judas Effect and V-Trigger as "early in the match" transition moves?

Its the spinning back elbow Andrade has been using for years. 

• Like 1

If it is then it would be about how better it is.  Andrade version is almost sudden it is so quick and pretty accurate.  Jericho version is very hit and miss.  The only one I saw that looked really good was the one he did on Darby Allin and that is because he did it on a tope

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Andrade's version is great, and should be his finish.

I'm pretty sure that's where Jericho got the idea from in the first place,  although he'd probably never admit it.

(And just in case,  I don't mean that as a shot at Jericho, I'd steal it too)

Edited by steve

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If Andrade’s is much more accurate, why does Jericho’s always win matches, while Andrade’s doesn’t?

giphy.gif
Judas Effect > Tijuana Tortilla(?)

Jericho is bigger and has Old Man Strength.

16 minutes ago, steve said:

Picked a bad time to make that joke,  Andrade just won his last match with it: 

Cedric Alexander? Big whoop, you can toss a pillow at Cedric, and knock him out. Also didn’t Andrade disappear after this? Looks like his body wasn’t properly trained to fight off the counter effects of Judas.

3 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I hate all the social media drama. Fake or real. It's true of all sports now but none have the history of it like pro wrestling. None of these type of angles ever are memorable or intriguing.

The social media stuff COULD work, but the reason it doesn't click is because somehow, wrestling has fallen into one of the many traps Russo fell into with WCW: They truly believe that every wrestling fan is part of the IWC and so intertwined in the IWC they spend their entire day on the Internet reading every single modicum of wrestling related news/media and know about everything going on in wrestling.

This would be fine since a lot of fans ARE enough in the IWC they at least know the important happenings going on on social media/etc. right now, but even then, the big problem for this is that WWE doesn't recap the things they're using for a storyline onscreen on television. Like Russo in WCW, they assume "Well, we don't need to explain why these two are so mad at each other on TV that led to this fight- everyone KNOWS why they're mad at each other already, they all saw the Tweets about it".

Only problem: Not everyone DOES know, and if you're making this the crux of a match, you kind of have to tell everyone why it's happening.  Again- WWE, at its core, is a kids' show at its heart. Having people look at all this expanded universe product to get the real story they see onscreen is making fans do homework...and that guarantees you'll turn off people watching, because there's NOTHING a kid hates more than having to do homework.

46 minutes ago, steve said:

Andrade's version is great, and should be his finish.

I'm pretty sure that's where Jericho got the idea from in the first place,  although he'd probably never admit it.

(And just in case,  I don't mean that as a shot at Jericho, I'd steal it too)

I'm pretty sure he was honest about stealing the Codebreaker from Marufuji. I imagine he would admit it with the Judas Effect if asked.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Oh my God, are we pretending every back elbow is a shot at Jericho now?

Earlier in the match where he countered Darby Allin's tope with the Judas Effect, when they were getting heat on Darby one of Jericho and Sammy's double teams was an Irish whip into a double back elbow. I don't imagine he did that as a shot against himself.