DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Vince is loaded with lawyers. I imagine it's a fight he could win if USA or Fox tried to say, "well, since you didn't keep doing these live broadcasts during a pandemic where shutdowns were ordered then we're altering or negating the terms of your deal."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Vince is loaded with lawyers. I imagine it's a fight he could win if USA or Fox tried to say, "well, since you didn't keep doing these live broadcasts during a pandemic where shutdowns were ordered then we're altering or negating the terms of your deal."

McDevitt couldn't beat the WWF, you expect him to beat out one of the largest corporations in the world?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

From what we know about Vince, I dont think he has a problem with running live shows for TV. Alot of talent feel like this is their chance to get tv time that they wouldn't have gotten under normal circumstances, guys are probably winning him over by working through this especially given Vince's views on being sick. I dont see Vince selling this Covid19 deal like most CEOs. He made it past Mania so he's not under the same pressure as he was a few weeks ago. The next Big Event is Summerslam so he wont be under the same pressure outside of just his ego.  Knowing him its probably more about not letting Dana White out do him as far as running shows and to a lesser extent Tony Khan.

I read the the tone of Dave’s update to be that Vince is concerned that Fox would use this as a means to get out from under their lemon of a contract.

That said, unless Vince’s lawyers are totally incompetent I can’t imagine a contract having language around a required # of live events and not having a corresponding clause covering the event wherein running live events isn’t possible. 

So this kinda reads like Vince can’t imagine staying home for a month bullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I read the the tone of Dave’s update to be that Vince is concerned that Fox would use this as a means to get out from under their lemon of a contract.

That said, unless Vince’s lawyers are totally incompetent I can’t imagine a contract having language around a required # of live events and not having a corresponding clause covering the event wherein running live events isn’t possible. 

Well, the other thing about Vince that we know is that he doesn't like tapings because he's unable to change things on the fly so if something strikes him the day of he's just stuck not being able to change everything because the show is in the can. This is per multiple former writers and Bruce. 

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Yeah, I'm thinking Vince isn't concerned about Fox booting him off the network so much as he is about Fox using a contract violation to alter the terms of the deal, which was looking terrible for them even before shows with crowds ceased.  If nothing else, making a good faith effort to hold live shows and meet the terms of the contracts will give him leverage in any possible legal proceeding since he can argue he attempted to meet the terms of the contract and was prevented from doing so by the network/a third party.

Honestly, depending on what WWE's financial position is, how the contract is written, and how real the threat from Fox is, I don't entirely blame him.  Almost every business in America - big or small - should be concerned about their fallout if this situation drags on.  

Even with all of those, whether it's a "the network tries to boot them" or "the network tries to alter the terms of the deal", even if McDevitt couldn't beat the WWF for that name in the past- if this went to court, even though NBC-Universal and Fox have far, far better lawyers than WWE, it wouldn't matter, because Lionel Hutz would be able to destroy USA or Fox if they tried to go after this.

The second Vince makes it clear "This company forced us to break quarantines that local governments forced into place and told us to break local laws in order to film for them", NBC-U and Fox would be doomed. 

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

McDevitt couldn't beat the WWF, you expect him to beat out one of the largest corporations in the world?

McDevitt had an impossible case there. Vince signed a deal with the WWF, then utterly ignored it. That doesn't give you much wiggle room legally.

• Like 1

In the "Wrestling Not From The sad Now" folder, I was digging the WAR card with Doink vs. Onryu (run don't walk and viddy). Borne is so good. his moves are textbook. Look how he runs the ropes - that is a worker who has been doing this a good while. He would have made a great trainer, RIP. Thinking about him led me to this, please check my perception: do a bigger percentage of indy workers have comedy gimmicks than in years past?  If, for arguments sake, you divide up the worker pool in straight workers (no gimmick (relatively speaking), Lesnar, Rollins, I am a wrestler)), gimmick workers (I am a mean Russian, or I'm a witch) and comedy workers (straight/gimmick but played for laughs). The divisions are fuzzy, obviously. Anyway it seems to me that a lot of the more popular workers do comedy stuff now (Orange Cassidy, Warhorse, Colt Cabana, Effy, et al). Now, these kids can go, have paid their dues and deserve their top spots, but I see a lot more comedy everywhere (New Day, Otis, even Adam Cole and Jericho and Matt Hardy play with an unserious vibe most of the time). Not the majority but a lot more than any other time period. Is it me, or is this how wrestling gets over in a new post-modern, post-kay fabe age, with a new "smart" hip interWeb crowd?

- RAF

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

In the "Wrestling Not From The sad Now" folder, I was digging the WAR card with Doink vs. Onryu (run don't walk and viddy). Borne is so good. his moves are textbook. Look how he runs the ropes - that is a worker who has been doing this a good while. He would have made a great trainer, RIP. Thinking about him led me to this, please check my perception: do a bigger percentage of indy workers have comedy gimmicks than in years past?  If, for arguments sake, you divide up the worker pool in straight workers (no gimmick (relatively speaking), Lesnar, Rollins, I am a wrestler)), gimmick workers (I am a mean Russian, or I'm a witch) and comedy workers (straight/gimmick but played for laughs). The divisions are fuzzy, obviously. Anyway it seems to me that a lot of the more popular workers do comedy stuff now (Orange Cassidy, Warhorse, Colt Cabana, Effy, et al). Now, these kids can go, have paid their dues and deserve their top spots, but I see a lot more comedy everywhere (New Day, Otis, even Adam Cole and Jericho and Matt Hardy play with an unserious vibe most of the time). Not the majority but a lot more than any other time period. Is it me, or is this how wrestling gets over in a new post-modern, post-kay fabe age, with a new "smart" hip interWeb crowd?

- RAF

Honestly, the rise of wrestlers who do comedy spots does seem like it, and it's less a result of "indy wrestling gets over with the "smart" Interweb crowd and more the fact that at this time period, indie wrestlers are savvy enough to know that just getting over with that "smart" hip Internet crowd is a good start, but honestly, that crowd isn't enough to REALLY succeed.

Using the last few years of wrestling- compare the Okada/Omega series to Joey Ryan and you see the example. The Okada/Omega series is incredibly critically acclaimed, and a large number of modern Internet fans believe they're the greatest wrestling matches in history. And as a result, those matches are widely beloved and watched hard- by modern smart Internet fans, but outside of that audience, it's not like Okada/Omega made a huge ripple outside of the wrestling bubble. 

Joey Ryan vs. Danshoku Dino was a perfectly good comedy match, but not as good as Okada/Omega was as a match...but Joey Ryan debuting the penis suplex? That shit genuinely went viral. Modern smart Internet fans watched that suplex hit. So did less hardcore fans on the Internet. So did casual fans. So did non-fans. Likely, So did your mom or your grandma who never watches wrestling. 

That is a whole world of difference, and likely led to the rise of comedy. A serious worker can put on a very good match, but will have to work  harder in the ring to get popular inside the wrestling bubble...basically working twice as hard to get half as much, at best. A comedy worker will separate themselves from the pack enough to get booked whenever they want once people have heard of them...but, if that comedy worker can see one of their spots in a match go viral? After that, they can punch their own ticket- get booked any and everywhere they want, and be relatively sure they'll draw a bigger crowd than just indie fans (just from non fans who wouldn't go see a good indie card, but might consider going to see that guy do the thing.)

• Like 1

BTW - they are currently two WWE stories as Top Stories on ESPN.com and neither of them puts the company in good light.

This easily could be the third

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - they are currently two WWE stories as Top Stories on ESPN.com and neither of them puts the company in good light.

Yeah I believe the "WWE running live shows" story happened maybe a hour or two because this story about the positive  coronavirus WWE worker.  People thought the timing of Thug Rose pulling out of UFC 249 yesterday was bad .  This is probably 10 times worse

So when they say "an on-screen performer not on the roster", they narrows it to an announcer or a ref right?

Edited by hammerva

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Whenever I read "McDevitt" I imagine Finn Balor arguing in court.

Bálor: Your Honor, I’ll be representing the defendant, (BP). 

Me: Why aren’t you wearing your Demon gimmick? I’m fucked! 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One of those is the Rousey story?

Was she doing house shows or just an insane tv schedule?  The article mentions that she'd be home for a day and a half a week, and that, if she worked a full year-round schedule, she'd be on the road 200 days a year.

``WWE experienced a positive COVID-19 test, if several members of the roster are to be believed.

Throughout the week, Fightful has been approached by nearly a dozen members of the WWE roster, and within the industry about an alleged COVID-19 positive test in WWE. Days later, Fightful was able to obtain a WWE memo that was sent out via the company's internal app on April 5. We are not including the name of the person noted to have been infected.

It read as follows:

We have just been notified that (name redacted by Fightful) was diagnosed with COVID-19. WWE doctors spoke with (redacted) this morning and reported (they) last had contact with anyone at WWE on March 26 at the Performance Center. As you know, (redacted) is not an in-ring performer and we believe this matter is low-risk to you per the following chronology:

The memo stated that the person infected did provide their consent to share their name and status, noting that they're feeling much better. However, for the privacy of said person, we'll summarize the next paragraph in saying that the person tested positive for COVID-19 after they and their roommate became symptomatic.

The memo continued:

Those of you who were potentially exposed would be cleared for travel by the evening of Thursday, April 9 at the latest, since the last possible exposure to any WWE talent personnel should have been at least 14 days prior.

It closed with Paul Levesque (Triple H) signing off.

Fightful contacted WWE reps multiple times throughout the week, and initially did not gain a confirmation or denial on the story. Towards the end of the week, we did not get a response for a follow up, but were told the memo would be looked in to. We've also reached out to the individual themselves, but can't verify if they've received the inquiry. Please do not inquire about the identity of the positive result, as we will not be providing it.``

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So let me get this straight on maybe the same tapings you have someone get infected with the virus AND you had the Miz running around the building with flu like symptoms as well.   It seems like the Miz getting sick happened around the same time

Edited by hammerva