DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

55 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This and the Concession Stand Brawl. That's all you got, Jarrett. 

I feel like I’m a weird outlier in that I kinda like Jarrett. He overpushed himself, but when he stopped trying to be serious and just ran with heel shit that was bordering on comedy, he tended to be a homerun for me.

Being legit, there is a lot of TNA stuff I probably like more then the average. For as stupid of an idea the King of the Mountain match was, for instance, I liked just about every single one they ran.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

For as stupid of an idea the King of the Mountain match was, for instance, I liked just about every single one they ran.

I just like the first one. Everybody that worked it with Jarrett were world class workers, or were willing to kill themselves to get the match over. But the rules don’t hold up after one match, just like a bad pair of jeans.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

so because you aren't a fan of stables you are going to shit on a group of people who like said idea?  Sounds brilliant. 

Hey man, I never said I wasn't a fan of stables. Dig some of them. Others are bad. But I'd rather they put together a stable that has its own reason to be a stable, rather than just try to rehash Wrestling's Greatest Hits. Especially trying to shoehorn people into recreating a stable so inextricably linked to specific personalities. Is Archer really a Ric Flair type? I'd rather see him as himself than try to play somebody else.

Maybe a better comparison than suggesting a new nWo would have been "people who suggest a Montreal Screwjob angle".

• Like 2

You know how super pale wrestlers like Sheamus welt up really visibly, getting red marks from every chop and that? Well, I'm watching NXT UK (it's a recap show) and it's Zack Gibson vs Jack Gallagher, and Gallagher has a massive palm print on his leg. And I'm fairly sure that Gibson doesn't throw chops to the thigh...

EDIT: Also, it's very strange to be seeing 2018 NXT UK footage, because there are fans there, making noise and everything. I don't mean compared to the current empty arena shows in the USA, I mean compared to 2019-2020 NXT UK where most of the tickets are bought by chairs, and the people who are there can't be arsed to make noise.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

He thigh slapped on a dropkick and it welted up so precisely, a palm reader could have told his future by looking at his leg.

• Haha 2

Not to go back too far in the discussion, but the best tag match that I've ever seen live was The Revival/American Alpha at a NXT house show.

I've seen more live shows than the average fan and fewer live shows than the average DVDVR user, so take that praise for what it's worth. 

They won't get lost in AEW's loaded tag division because they work a style that meshes with the other flippy-do, get-my-spot-in tag teams. They keep said teams from getting their spots in and build up the desire from the crowd to see those spots happen. They will be fine. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't mean compared to the current empty arena shows in the USA, I mean compared to 2019-2020 NXT UK where most of the tickets are bought by chairs, and the people who are there can't be arsed to make noise.

534-ACBE9-A158-47-AE-BBD3-4-B8-ED0017224

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

RIP The Revival. They had some amazing matches in WWE and NXT. Them and DIY here in Toronto is rightly called a classic but they also made me believe Enzo and Cass could go instead of being a rag doll and catchphrase. Lots of great potential match ups in AEW, Japan, and any indies that survive (sorry for bringing that up). I don't agree they'll get lost in the shuffle in AEW, there are a lot of teams but none of them work the same way.

Also, it's one final fuck you. They were keeping one of them on contract to mess with them, but now that they can't go anywhere anyway they stopped paying him. Solid work.

I would think the immediate spot for them would be with Spears/Blanchard would it not?

Or will they be too over to align that way?

2 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I feel like I’m a weird outlier in that I kinda like Jarrett. He overpushed himself, but when he stopped trying to be serious and just ran with heel shit that was bordering on comedy, he tended to be a homerun for me.

Being legit, there is a lot of TNA stuff I probably like more then the average. For as stupid of an idea the King of the Mountain match was, for instance, I liked just about every single one they ran.

Jarrett is the perfect upper midcard heel. He is goofy enough to get punked out by the face you are putting over, while also being serious enough in the ring to remain a threat. He is the exact sort of guy that should get lengthy midcard or tag title title runs to help get a pop for the next up and coming main eventer.

I was fine with him main eventing in WCW because at that point they needed to just throw shit at the wall to see what would stick. A better backstage setup probably sees him in a really good spot as a main event option.

• Thanks 1

I feel like I've said this before, but Jarrett was most effective to me as a sympathetic babyface. He had that short run in TNA where, after his wife passed IIRC, he was just this babyface who was trying to do his best while raising three daughters or whatever, and he has these excellent facial expressions and body language in that role. I was shocked because, though I saw him as a babyface in Memphis (and I thought that he was good in that role), I never would have guessed that a somewhat unsympathetic dude like Jarrett seems to be IRL could pull that shit off so nicely in character. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

god Fourtune was so cringe. A bunch of fucking dweebs in department store suits who looked like they were going to prom with their grandad.

Aces and Eights on the other hand was the last great stable IMO. 

I dunno, man; when was Bruderschaft des Kruces?

Misspelled, don't care.

23 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Jarrett is the perfect upper midcard heel. He is goofy enough to get punked out by the face you are putting over, while also being serious enough in the ring to remain a threat. He is the exact sort of guy that should get lengthy midcard or tag title title runs to help get a pop for the next up and coming main eventer.

I was fine with him main eventing in WCW because at that point they needed to just throw shit at the wall to see what would stick. A better backstage setup probably sees him in a really good spot as a main event option.

Thinking about it, Jeff Jarrett was basically wrestling’s version of the Miz from the last 5 years or so. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I would think the immediate spot for them would be with Spears/Blanchard would it not?

Or will they be too over to align that way?

Aligning with Tully against Cody and Arn would be solid but Spears as he is now would be an albatross on that group. I like him but for whatever reason nothing they try with him is catching on just yet. The internet would say that's cause he sucks, but I believe he just hasn't found the right angle to bounce off of yet, like the NWO taking DDP to the next level.

• Like 1

If you're going to pair The Revival with Arn then it needs to be done via Arn turning on Cody to side with them. They can debut by beating down Cody and friends (I've said before the pop The Revival get when they do a run in to beat down the Bucks is going to be massive and will sell all of the "no flips just fists" shirts) leading to say a Rhodes Bros vs Revival match with Arn turning as a fuck finish. I think they're good enough on their own without a manager, but it's a logical pairing and that's the best way I can think to do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morganti said:

save anything on tape until you can convert it to digital (digital storage is cheap as fuck) then toss/trade away your old tapes.

That is my 2 cents.

I converted a bunch of my old tapes to digital but actually couldn't bring myself to throw them away. I've had a tape of Crockett Cup 1987 for 33 of my 40  years on this Earth and couldn't bear to see it in the trash.

Eddie Kingston would very much like it if everyone would watch this, and take a minute to reflect upon what a great guy Larry Sweeney was:

• Like 5