DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It’s not like they’ll be used immediately upon release, given that there is no way AEW can really use them right now. Like I suggested in the AEW thread, debut them along with Brian Cage when they do the first real show back from the pandemic. That episode should be super special.

• Like 2

Wasn't there one guy who was supposed to be in the Brawl for All, but he tried boxing training to get ready and was knocked out cold in his first training session?

47 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I can see them coming in as "the arrival"    Putting them with Arn is really the only smart way to do it. However, the more I think about it  Revival, Archer, and Spears could be a good modern day horseman stable. 

Yeah, no.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

One thing that they definitely didn't factor in is punch resistance (in layman's terms, having a good or bad/glass chin). That's more negligent than almost anything else about running a tournament like that. I mean you can swing with poor technique and have the other guy do the same, but most of the guys have never been punched in the face repeatedly. The reason why a good many boxers can take ungodly amounts of punishment is 75% of them roughly started at the age of 6-9. The heavyweight division is the exception because you got a lot of football/basketball converts who start as amateurs from age 19 (post high school) to 23 (post undergrad). However, that's still considered pretty late to get into boxing. That's how you build up punch resistance. You just don't start off with an amazing chin.

This is all theoretical and no one actually knows if you can improve your chin.  There is another theory where everyone's chin is like a tree, and every punch you take is like a strike from an axe.  Some people's chins are saplings and other's are redwoods, but eventually the axe is going to take down the tree.  The issue with having another Brawl for All is that whether taking punches builds a chin or diminishes your chin, you can't judge how good or bad your chin is until you get punched hard as hell in the face.  Putting together a tournament with a bunch of dudes who have never really taken a hard punch to the face is a recipe for disaster.  You can live your entire life not knowing if you have a glass jaw, until someone puts your lights out.  That's not something anybody wants to find out on national TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Wasn't there one guy who was supposed to be in the Brawl for All, but he tried boxing training to get ready and was knocked out cold in his first training session?

I believe Bob Holly mentioned in his book that Tiger Ali Singh had boasted that he would do well in this kind of format, was put in the tournament, then promptly dropped out, opening the door for either Holly (according to Bob himself) or Dan Severn (given the fact he was barred from participating to start, only to get the green light later) to take that spot.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I'd have Tully drop Spears like a bad habit. Something like this:

"You know why I can't find you a partner, Shawn? Because you suck! You know what I realized? I don't need a guy. I need TWO guys. Top guys."

then boom. First Revival match/squash can be Spears+X.

Arn & Tully as double managers would create some new clever ref distractions for The Revival. 

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

care to elaborate more?

I really need to elaborate more about why creating a modern day horseman stable that contains Shawn Spears wouldn't be a good idea?

• Haha 2

He’s too much of a geek. The Horsemen were presented as a Mega Powers of NWA heels. Shawn Spears is no All-Star heel. He’d be a good fall guy of a stable, but not a “Modern Horsemen” stable. The only way for AEW to have a “Modern Horsemen” would be to team Jericho up with Cody, and The Bucks.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

UK People: Wrestlemania 36 is on BT Sport 1 this weekend. Part one tomorrow, part two Sunday.

@The Natural et al.

Cheers, @AxB. Appreciate it. This the first time they've done it for WWE from BT Sports Box Office to BT Sport like UFC and Boxing?

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is all theoretical and no one actually knows if you can improve your chin.  

The issue with having another Brawl for All is that whether taking punches builds a chin or diminishes your chin, you can't judge how good or bad your chin is until you get punched hard as hell in the face.

I think we're basically saying the exact same thing except the only way to prove if you can take a punch is by...taking a punch.  If you are fighting as a pre teen in the amateurs, you're not facing fighters who are just decking other fighters left and right. Go look at folks like Broner and the Charlo twins as amateurs when they were little kids. They're throwing a bunch of rapid hard shots, but only hard when you compare it to your average twelve year old who doesn't know how to throw a punch. So from an offensive AND defensive standpoint, who is most likely to get leveled in a fight....a random high school kid with no fighting prowess or someone the same age who has six or seven years of high level amateur boxing experience? At that point, it's no longer theoretical. Roy Jones Jr. was clowning grown men who were already accomplished pro fighters at age sixteen or seventeen. Same with a bunch of other great amateurs. It's not because, "Oh boxing finds all the guys with chins and MMA gets a few and the rest wouldn't last six or eight rounds with a competent boxer." No, while Henry Cejudo is out here winning Olympic gold medals in wrestling or TJ Dillashaw is wrestling at Cal State Fullerton, Vasyl Lomachenko is having 400 amateur boxing fights against other people who know how to punch. Now the flipside of that is Loma is probably going to be toast as a fighter before he turns 36 or 37 just cause of overall weardown and gradual deterioration. Point still remains through. A guy like Conor McGregor is cracking dudes left and right in MMA. He fights a 40 year old Floyd Mayweather who didn't even really trained and can't even phase him after being given several rounds to do so. If you have a real amateur pedigree, you're going to have a clear cut physical advantage over someone who does not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s too much of a geek. The Horsemen were presented as a Mega Powers of NWA heels. Shawn Spears is no All-Star heel. He’d be a good fall guy of a stable, but not a “Modern Horsemen” stable.

I really didn't think anyone needed to explain any of this. To me, I figured it's just universally understood who the Horsemen were and if you did a modern day version of the stable then it sure as hell wouldn't have a JTTS like Spears in it unless you really love the Paul Roma era of the Horsemen.

Edited by Craig H

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I really need to elaborate more about why creating a modern day horseman stable that contains Shawn Spears wouldn't be a good idea?

I mean I hate him as much as the next guy but unless Tully splits from him I'd assume we are stuck with him.  I have him grouped in the Kip Sabian category.  Could care less if I never see either one again.  I think Janella has been hurt the most from AEW.  He was the indy golden boy for awhile and AEW hasn't done much to help him. 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I really didn't think anyone needed to explain any of this. To me, I figured it's just universally understood who the Horsemen were and if you did a modern day version of the stable then it sure as hell wouldn't have a JTTS like Spears in it unless you really love those Paul Roma era of the Horsemen.

Sometimes even bookers have to be reminded why the Horsemen were the Horsemen, and why Fourtune weren’t the Horsemen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, @AxB. Appreciate it. This the first time they've done it for WWE from BT Sports Box Office to BT Sport like UFC and Boxing?

Pretty sure it is, yeah. The Royal Rumble certainly didn't air on free TV (well the Rumble match did, but that was on RAW).

• Thanks 1

As brutal as the Evolution era was with the long winded promos, questionable booking, and epic style, one thing I think can’t be argued is that Hunter had an understanding of what made the Horsemen work from an optics and presentation standpoint.

Fourtune had a lot of great guys, but it suffered from the Horsemen comparison from day one. Also, that there’d been like fifty fucking stables in TNA already. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1