DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

But this is Disney trying to appease the masses that might think that they are a blood  thirsty corporation(which they are). Who knows if Time Warner, and NBC Universal will do the same thing. We know Fox won’t. Without the film division they have gone insane.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Normally I would yell at you all for all the MMA talk in the wrestling thread however I am about to add to it

The reason I am posting this here (even though I know its in the MMA folder) is because I have to imagine wrestling is next

I blame @SorceressKnight

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not trying to discredit Brock's win, but Hunt is the perfect opponent for someone like Brock.

Hunt struggles against wrestlers and grapplers and Brock is an enormous wrestler with a legit wrestling background.

I hear you, but I'm comparing him (Hunt) to WWE pro wrestlers. 

6 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I hear you, but I'm comparing him (Hunt) to WWE pro wrestlers. 

Hunt would kill anyone on the roster not named Brock Lesnar. And fully roided, no testing 300+ pound Brock kills the entire roster with ease.

Edited by keith_h
  • Like 1

ESPN wouldn't have told UFC to stand down unless they had to. They're probably (dare I say likely) compensating UFC for shows they can't run. ESPN wanted UFC to be able to run. If ESPN wasn't on their side, they would have pulled the plug back a long time ago.

The question is will TNT or USA/Fox be willing to do the same with AEW or WWE respectively? If one or more performers test positive, that's all she wrote.

Another issue is the emboldening of these leagues/organizations. The Trump conference call is one side of the coin, but the other is people seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. NBA is going forward with the HORSE idea, and MLB is trying to do their season in Phoenix with the idea everyone is just going to be quarantined forever there. If the idea is "we gotta figure out a way to still have a presence on television and make it feel more normal", people will take more and more risks.

A couple of months of taped and talent-produced content while they reset creative isn’t the worst thing for WWE. What’s the last truly out of the box thing Vince has done - the Shield debut? And before that Nexus?

Also, is New Blood Nitro the only overt hard continuity reset in a major promotion? I can’t think of another.

AEW might want to hard reset too. Without the B&G conclusion their  storylines were put on freeze, and they are now in the “Garlic Jr. Arc” of AEW. They’ll have to do something to make people forget some of the silliness. At least Hangman isn’t involved that much on this, but we didn’t get the “Will he, won’t he?” spot that would’ve blown the roof off the building in Jersey. Both companies will need to do something when we get out of limbo. Marketing will have to work hard during this “off season” to create a sense of anticipation for these episodes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Guest Edwin

Speaking of Mark Hunt, I think he would have been a fantastic pro-wrestler if he wasn't swinging full force. Hunt as Umaga or Hunt and Jacob Fatu as a monster heel tag team. Sign me up.

method=get&s=mark-hunt-wanderlei-silva-g

Edited by Edwin

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If MMA didn’t pay so well, he would’ve definitely given New Japan a try.

The problem is...Mark doesn't have the best attitude when it comes to things. Mark would last about six weeks in pro wrestling before he got into it with a promoter, quit, and went into lengthy (poorly written) tirades on IG about said promoter.

Guest Edwin
5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If MMA didn’t pay so well, he would’ve definitely given New Japan a try.

Agreed. Hunt was making six figures per fight in PRIDE.

I always wanted to see Fedor try his hand in pro-wrestling, too. I think he would've been an incredible IWGP champ. during the Inokism period.

Guest Edwin
Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

The problem is...Mark doesn't have the best attitude when it comes to things. Mark would last about six weeks in pro wrestling before he got into it with a promoter, quit, and went into lengthy (poorly written) tirades on IG about said promoter.

Hunt going all out at Inoki on Live Journal after his first tour would've been hilarious.

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

If I am WWE, or AEW I am taping as much shit as I can this week.  Remember the lengthy tapings of the 80's and early 90's?  Yeah ramp em up again.  Tape through at least the June ppv's for WWE.  

AEW is basically there - they have enough content to last them until May 20th, supposedly.

If it were a real "new Brawl for All," I'd think you'd want to keep top guys out of it. Propensity for injury. You could do a pretty nice 16 man field, though, even without your tippy top guys.

Shelton Benjamin

Baron Corbin

Chad Gable

Dash Wilder (ko'ing people at the HOF.)

Bob Lashley

Rusev

Aleister Black

Ziggler

Akam or Rezar (one of them has some MMA training. Whichever one it is.)

Kyle O'Reilly. Selfishly, just to see him get obliterated by a full sized human.

Keith Lee. I'd just want to see that.

Sheamus

Jack Gallagher

Cesaro 

Samoa Joe

Heath Slater (former boxer, strikes me as legit crazy enough to do fairly well.)

Guest Edwin

Bobby Fish and Gentleman Jack Gallagher also have some amateur MMA fights under their belt, so I would definitely throw them in there.

Killer Kross also as he has trained in a bunch of combat sports.

Edited by Edwin

So you must really love the old TNA X Division. Because apparently Brawl for All 2 isn't about weight limits. Jack Gallagher's amateur fights are at 155 lbs, and you're throwing him in against Keith Lee sized dudes?

Also, both AOP guys are legit. Akam was a Freestyle wrestler under Olympic consideration for Canada, and Rezar is a pro Kickboxer and MMA fighter (was in Bellator, 6-2-0 record).

Guest Edwin
2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Jack Gallagher's amateur fights are at 155 lbs, and you're throwing him in against Keith Lee sized dudes?

Pretty sure he cut weight to get to 155, plus Gable is also listed there.