DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

In defense, DID CM Punk really work for IWA-Mid South?

If you're not being paid for your work, it's just an elaborate way to say you have a hobby...and if CM Punk's straight edge, presumably Ian Rotten couldn't pay him the way he'd pay everyone else. QED, CM Punk wrestled for IWA-MS, but he didn't "work" for them, per se.

• Like 1

Ian's whole get out was that he didn't pay people in drugs, but that he paid them in cash. Cash which they then subsequently (well, immediately, but the events were sequential) used to buy drugs from him, in a completely separate and unrelated transaction.

• Like 2

Punk told a group of us after Super Indy 3 in Pittsburgh in May of 2004 that he would never work for Ian Rotten again. He was slamming him and said he was going to be in ROH, IWC, and PWG for the most part.  Low and behold a few weeks later who is at IWA-MS teaming with Colt? 

Knowing what we know about Phil I don't think he would have worked IWA-MS and had the long matches and performed all the commentary if he wasn't being paid.  He is too stubborn to do something unless he really wants to or would benefit from it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Ian's whole get out was that he didn't pay people in drugs, but that he paid them in cash. Cash which they then subsequently (well, immediately, but the events were sequential) used to buy drugs from him, in a completely separate and unrelated transaction.

Sounds like the Parliament-Funkadelic doc I just watched where when the queue to get paid lined up, George Clinton would pay the musicians either in money or coke. When one of the musicians started dealing on the side because he was broke on the road, George found out and the next day a sign appeared on the bus door saying "NO DRUG DEALING ON THE ROAD" because he wanted all the business. 

They also had something called "Easter egg hunts" after they learned how to cook up freebase where they'd take rock, break it up and throw it on the floor and people would scramble for it, but I can't see Ian doing the same thing with pills

• Like 1

Ian wasn’t even the worst IWA promoter, IWA-Deep South always seemed scummier, their death match tournament once featured a straight up stabbing and they threatened someone losing an appendage almost every year.

Made IWA:MS seem like Pancrase in comparison.

Edited by Ultimo Necro

No doubt in my mind that someone like Simon Sezz or Josiah Caine were either working for free, or getting paid in drugs or something. But indie darlings like Chris Hero, AJ Styles, CM Punk, Cabana, etc.? There's absolutely no way. 

17 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Can you pick out who didn't get invited to the party?

There are 4 big names that came to me in about 10 seconds so I really wouldn't read too much into it

EDIT - actually 6 in a minute (and only 1 current champ is IN the video)

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Becky, Charlotte, Asuka, Kairi, Alexa, and Nikki are the 6 I came up with. 

Those where my 6 but I also remembered Ruby and Sarah Logan

I have a feeling it was just the women who use Tik Tok who were in it (and wanted to participate)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

In defense, DID CM Punk really work for IWA-Mid South?

If you're not being paid for your work, it's just an elaborate way to say you have a hobby...and if CM Punk's straight edge, presumably Ian Rotten couldn't pay him the way he'd pay everyone else. QED, CM Punk wrestled for IWA-MS, but he didn't "work" for them, per se.

Wait what???