DVDVR Message Board

20-10s ANIMATION Pimping Thread

The Natural

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) is a contender for my top spot as the best film of the decade. Likely will be.

The main reason why I've started this topic is because I've seen very little Disney and Pixar films from the last decade so seek recommendations. Toy Story 3 (2010) and Inside Out (2015) are the only ones I've seen. I will watch The Incredibles 2 (2018) and Toy Story 4 (2019) having seen the previous entries in each respective series.

Thanks!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Kubo and the Two Strings might be the animated film I rank the highest. My biggest blind spot from this decade will probably be Tale of Princess Kaguya, so I'll try to remedy that at some point (as with most Studio Ghibli).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Kubo and the Two Strings might be the animated film I rank the highest.

When I saw this thread this morning my first thought was "When I get a chance to respond it will be to pimp Kubo and the Two Strings"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’ve got Into the Spiderverse and Coco as contenders, but the one animated movie that will definitely make it on, and near the top, is The Little Prince. Absolutely beautiful and devastating. 

Inside Out will probably be the one I rank the highest for PIXAR.  It could just be not putting much thought into it, but this was a weak decade for Animation. My main contenders will be:

Kubo
Spiderverse
Inside Out
Toy Story 3
Coco 

• Like 1

How to Train Your Dragon will probably make my ballot in the 90s and I freely admit it is because of sentimental reasons (It was the first movie my son saw in the theater which in turn cemented his potty training).

I also will consider Big Hero 6

OH! And I will also consider Book of Life (Stupid Coco stealing its thunder)

• Like 1

Animated Films on my pre-list list

The Secret World of Arietty is a nice, simple little Studio Ghibli film on a somewhat familiar subject.  Has an outside shot of being on my list.

It's Such A Beautiful Day is one I LOVED when I saw it but haven't seen in years.

The Wind Rises is a really beautiful film and a perfectly fitting coda to Hayao Miyazaki's career even though he'll almost certainly make another.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya had me rather flummoxed for most of its length but I really loved the heartbreaking ending which tends to give it a little more weight with me.

The Lego Movie:is one I loved when it came out but not sure if I saw it now if I'd rate it as highly.

Your Name: is a fun little anime with fantastical elements and has some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen.

Thanks for the recommendations. Cheers, @caley for reminding me about The Lego Movie (2014). Pretty confident that will make mine. Haven't seen the sequel. The Lego Batman Movie (2017) could go either way. As of right now, it won't be there.

Speaking of recommendations, Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015) from the team behind Wallace and Gromit. It's very funny and I'll be voting for it. There's a sequel called A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon out last year. I've not seen it but would like to having said what I thought about the predecessor. 

Edited by The Natural

On 3/31/2020 at 3:07 PM, Chaos said:

Inside Out will probably be the one I rank the highest for PIXAR.  It could just be not putting much thought into it, but this was a weak decade for Animation. My main contenders will be:

Kubo
Spiderverse
Inside Out
Toy Story 3
Coco 

I think 2010-2019 was a weak decade for film with the exception of comic book movies. I'd take 2000-2009 and 1990-1999 straight away over the last decade.

I also want to recommend Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (2018) taking the mickey out of superhero movies. Imagine a toned down Deadpool Movie that appeals to both kids and adults. There's catchy songs, a REALLY DARK montage and the movie ends on a killer last line. Me and my Little Sis' Laura were planning to see it at the cinema but she was too poorly. Shame we never got that chance. Health is wealth and takes priority. Give me Teen Titans Go! To The Movies over Deadpool 2 released the same year.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:38 AM, RIPPA said:

How to Train Your Dragon will probably make my ballot in the 90s and I freely admit it is because of sentimental reasons (It was the first movie my son saw in the theater which in turn cemented his potty training).

Finding Dory and the Frozen movies will be on my list somewhere for similar reasons. I applaud Disney basically sneaking reparations into the key plot of Frozen II. 

On 4/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, The Natural said:

Thanks for the recommendations. Cheers, @caley for reminding me about The Lego Movie (2014). Pretty confident that will make mine. Haven't seen the sequel. The Lego Batman Movie (2017) could go either way. As of right now, it won't be there.

Speaking of recommendations, Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015) from the team behind Wallace and Gromit. It's very funny and I'll be voting for it. There's a sequel called A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon out last year. I've not seen it but would like to having said what I thought about the predecessor. 

Farmageddon is on Netflix, and I thought it was pretty clever.

• Thanks 1

These films are going to make my list:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Kubo and the Two Strings

ParaNorman

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

How to Train Your Dragon

Coco

The LEGO Movie

Edited by New Blood
  • Like 1

If you do not weep your eyes out at the end of Big Hero 6, you are probably dead.

Watched Seoul Station over the weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it is nowhere near as good as the Top 10 or so animation heavy hitters of the 2010's and nothing will beat Into The Spider-Verse.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Being the parent of a young child who will watch the same movie three times a day if left to their own devices has made some of these really hard to gauge. I loved a lot of these movies the first...twelve times, but you reach a point where it’s the same thing as staring at a wall, and it’s hard to get a feel for how good it actually is any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I kinda use the "If I am willing to watch it on my own" I will at least consider it

Fortunately my son moved out of the age range of the kiddie movies before mid-decade

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:17 PM, New Blood said:

These films are going to make my list:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Kubo and the Two Strings

ParaNorman

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

How to Train Your Dragon

Coco

The LEGO Movie

I'll also be voting for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and The LEGO Movie. Cursed the air blue the other day finding Kubo and the Two Strings halfway through it on the Film 4 + channel.

If you want some more Batman recommendations:

Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010)

Batman: Year One (2011)

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (2018) though that depends on how you feel about the television series it's based from.

Have you seen Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)?

Edited by The Natural

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess I knocked the first thing off of my watch list as we watched Into the Spider-Verse last night

Yeah... the hype is real

When something is heavily hyped, it adds expectations which are either met or not. Glad it was the former for you. So glad I got to see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) at the cinema. The film captures Spider-Man at it's best: Heart, humour, story and visuals.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We had the wife’s nieces over. Large colorful slinkies are still fun to play with, btw. We turned this on before bed and color me surprised. Won’t make my 50 but a fun watch. Emily Blunt voices a villain pony that doesn’t believe in friendship anymore and is doing the Storm King’s evil bidding so he can repair her horn. Also, Princess Twilight has to learn that she can rely on her friends and that’s what friends are for.

• 3 weeks later...