DVDVR Message Board

20-10s General Pimping Thread

RIPPA

I plan on creating a few specific pimping threads for specific types of movies (but not all of them). But here is a starting point. This thread will especially be used for those bigger movies that are more "known" (like the comic book movies, the blockbusters, the Oscar winners, etc...)

Some early reference materials that you may or may not find helpful

That's the first half of the decade poll that @Chaos did. Not sure if he has the list in one complete form (Her was the #1 movie)

This was the discussion thread of the decade (thus far) when we were doing the Greatest Movie Poll

Speaking of the Greatest Movie Poll - these are the things from this Decade that made it. Spoilerized for size

Spoiler

359) CATERPILLAR (Kyatapirâ) (2010) - Director: Kôji Wakamatsu

355) THE REVENANT (2015) - Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu

348) THE AVENGERS (2012) - Director: Joss Whedon

346) STAR WARS EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) - Director: J.J. Abrams

325) THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2014) - Director: Wes Anderson

296) 12 YEARS A SLAVE (2013) - Director: Steve McQueen

289) TOY STORY 3 (2010) - Director: Lee Unkrich

245) INCENDIES (2010) - Director: Denis Villeneuve

213) THE MASTER (2012) - Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

199) WHIPLASH (2014) - Director: Damien Chazelle

179) INCEPTION (2010) - Director: Christopher Nolan

169) DRIVE (2011) - Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

146) SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (2010) - Director: Edgar Wright

127) THE TREE OF LIFE (2011) - Director: Terrence Malick

94) HER (2013) - Director: Spike Jonze

80) MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015) - Director: George Miller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RIPPA pinned this topic
22 minutes ago, (BP) said:

That list has some stuff I will definitely watch in the top 50, but scanning the worst at the bottom, I’m second guessing that any of it was written in good faith. 

It definitely seems like it was put together the way we used to put together the 500

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Here is Vulture's ranking of every movie that came out in the decade (supposedly)

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/every-movie-of-the-2010s-ranked-sort-of.html

So there are 5279 movies there but you can at least quickly scan it

Well, that's better than the 8200 I was trying to get through for 2011 alone. IMDB's search needs a little work.

I'll pimp the funniest films of the decade:

Four Lions (2010) which me and @caley always talk up. Such a funny film considering the subject matter. You think to yourself, how this get the go ahead? Be glad it did.

What We Do In The Shadows (2014), a vampire mockumentary by Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement. Waititi's best movie.

Deadpool (2016) takes the piss out of the superhero genre it comes from. I thought this was much better than the disappointing 2018 sequel. Deadpool is leaner and funnier.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017). Taika Waititi does it again giving Thor and the Hulk the standalone film quality both deserved.

Edited by The Natural

Natural , I’m glad you brought up Four Lions. I was scanning lists of the decade and whenever I saw that title I was confusing it with The Four Feathers, which is a stuffy looking period piece war drama from 2002. Now I’ll know to add it to the watch list. 

As far as comedies that may make my list:

Dolemite is My Name

The Other Guys 

Super

Central Intelligence

We’re the Millers

21 Jump Street 

This is the End 

The Nice Guys

The Big Sick 

Honorable mention to Game Night

I doubt if I get through all the movies on my watchlist that they’ll all make it, but they’re the ones that superficially stick out from the past decade. 

• Like 2

Cripes, The Other Guys was this decade?  That has a slim chance of sneaking on.  Shows you A) how different things feel these days and B) how much the movie industry has somehow shifted.  2010 was a heck of a year, though; probably going to be highly represented in my top 20.

Guess it's good to know docs are part of this process, too.  Won't You Be My Neighbor? will definitely be somewhere on my list, though this effectively doubles the number of things I need to watch or rewatch.

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Natural , I’m glad you brought up Four Lions. I was scanning lists of the decade and whenever I saw that title I was confusing it with The Four Feathers, which is a stuffy looking period piece war drama from 2002. Now I’ll know to add it to the watch list. 

Cheers, @(BP). Hope you like it.

Thanks also for bringing up Super, that has a shot of making my ballot.

Edited by The Natural

11 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

quick procedural question since this'll be the first one of these I submit a ballot to: are short films allowed?

No

The general rule of thumb for these projects is that it needs to have a run time over 60 minutes

Basically if it is one of the Pixar ones or something that was nominated in the "Short Film" category, then no

I apologize in advance for how many comic movies I have in my top 20. I fully expect to be the high vote on a few, as well as on Disney stuff. Thank my five-year-old.  It was amazing looking back at Flickchart and seeing how many more of the top movies I’ve seen before she was born versus after.

• Like 1

CINEMA DERP by OctopusCinema - vol 1

Derp.

My goal is to make a few posts of movies I either really enjoyed or ones I’m on the fence about. It will be brief thoughts and not large reviews. If I do reviews or later discuss plot points then I’ll of course put them in spoiler tags. 

I sometimes do not like the way trailers are cut. They can either have a complete opposite feeling of the film or give away too much of the story. So some of the links are brief scenes. Don’t worry, if it’s a scene it won’t be anything important to the plot and more a moment to feel the atmosphere of the film. Teasers or festival trailers tend to give away less of the plot, so I’m usually in favor of those. I say sometimes because you occasionally can get a very well cut trailer. A mix bellow.

I love movies and I love making lists. I’m about to get my Derp on.

Derp Begins

Turin Horse (Tarr, 2011)

(Skip to 1:26 if you want to skip intro text)

My #1 of the decade. Any fan of slow cinema and great cinematography will love this. Bela Tarr’s last feature. Beautifully shot in only 30 long takes. 

I’ll let the clip speak for itself. A good way to describe this film is to think Jeanne Dielman meets 19th century Nihilist potato farmers in the Apocalypse.

Carol (Haynes, 2015)

I won’t go into the plot too much, so no need for spoilers. Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett casually develop a relationship, in the 1950’s. Both performances are done with such subtlety. The acting blends together finely with phenomenal cinematography.

Carol was shot on Super 16mm which gives the film it's extra grain. Capturing the warmth of a 50's Macy’s ad while still maintaining such an emotionally obtainable look to the characters. From the the toy store Mara's character works at to the delicate lighting on Blanchett's face, Carol was fabulously shot. 

Cemetery of Splendor (Weerasethakul, 2015)

Apichatpong Weerasethakul has a few films I’ll probably nominate. Personally, his 2010 film Uncle Boonmee is higher ranked, but this movie has a special place in my heart. I went to it the day after hearing my mom had cancer (she’s thankfully in remission now, so don’t worry). I was in such a melancholic disbelief. Hung out with the family the whole day. This was playing at the Walker Art Center and I originally wasn’t going to go but it just struck me to see it. What a needed experience.

Very meditative Thai film. Several soldiers are struck with a sleeping sickness where they just don’t wake up. They’re transferred to a temporary medical clinic that was a former school. A housewife volunteers to tend to a sleeping soldier with no family. Watching over him, cleaning him, reading to him, a bond is created between them. The rest of the film  is just such a magical and touching experience. 

Faust (Sokurov, 2011)

The story of Faust directed by Alexander Sokurov. What more can you want?!?! 

The beauty of the visuals often shift between a Rembrandt portraiture to a Goya painting of Saturn Devouring His Son. Dreamlike soft candlelit lighting battles occasionally with the semi-distorted images created by movement of anamorphic lenses, just adds to the unease of making a deal with Satan. A very pretty and disturbing film.

Camille Claudel, 1915 (Dumont, 2013)

This is a bubble film for me. But definitely worth the watch. Famous sculptor, named in the title, is confined to an insane asylum. It appears that she has been sent their for petty reasons and she has to simply wait to be freed by her soon to arrive brother. Hoping to eventually return to her art when she is no longer in confinement. 

The heart of the film is Camille Claudel, played by Juliette Binoche, spending time and with the other inmates, who are played by handicapped actors. Also the question of whether or not she deserves to be there. Sadness ensues.

Derp Over

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 2

Scratched two off my To-Watch List

Shoplifters: I LOVE Hirokazu Koreeda's movies.  They're so full of unapologetic humanity without ever crossing over into out-and-out schmaltz.  You never get those big moments of catharsis or ham-fisted emotion but it's somehow much more satisfying this way.  In this one, a family on the outskirts of society survive on a combination of pension, low-wage jobs and flat-out shoplifting.  A moment of weakness sees them bring home a neglected neighbour whose presence changes their entire way of functioning.  Every actor in this is perfect.  It's so moving, and so sad.  I really loved it and it'll be on my list somewhere, I suspect.

Starred Up: As diametrically opposed to the above film as possible, this is a very intense, very violent and very dark prison drama about a young offender(Jack O'Connell) whose behaviour sees him accelerated to jail, the same one inhabited by his criminal father (Ben Mendelsohn).  His father's connections see him transferred to a educational/behavioural group run by a volunteer (Rupert Friend) who try to quell the full-on rage and fury of the his son.  He's not a very likable character, in all honesty, but you eventually come to see some of the humanity in him. Terrific performances all around, even if the story isn't exactly mining a ton of new territory.  A candidate for my list, still.

• Like 2

My stuff I haven't seen that I need to watch for this list (I know I'm forgetting stuff).

Once Upon a time in Anatolia
Turin Horse
The Handmaiden
The Grandmaster
Ghost Story
Personal Shopper
Blue Ruin
Last Black Man in San Francisco 
Burning
Blue is the Warmest Color
The Florida Project
Certified Copy
Parasite
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Holy Motors
Melancholia
Phoenix
The Favourite
The Loneliest Planet

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

My stuff I haven't seen that I need to watch for this list (I know I'm forgetting stuff).

Once Upon a time in Anatolia
Ghost Story
Personal Shopper
The Florida Project
Parasite

I heartily recommend all of these ones.

Once Upon A Time in Anatolia is this great, strange police procedural that then goes elsewhere, but it's not for all tastes.  If the idea of watching cars drive around in the Romanian countryside, slowly digging around appeals to you (I found it strangely hypnotic!) you'll like it, if you think that sounds boring, you probably won't care for it.

Ghost Story is great, but super-duper arty and ponderous.   i dug it, but there's a lot of watching stuff not really happen or happen slowly so if that's not your bag, look elsewhere.  I was mesmerized.

Personal Shopper is really fascinating.  It was the first time I went "Huh! Kristen Stewart CAN act!" and she does a really great job here.  It's mysterious, creepy, sexy and  beautiful.  Of course, after recommending this on Facebook once, a friend of mine watched it and HATED it, dedicating long post to how terrible it was and she did not hold back.  So, I'd guess it's a pretty polarizing film.

The Florida Project is my favourite off this list of yours.  Extraordinary acting by the child actors in a movie that's somehow really sad but full of joyful performances.  My mom spent a year trying to convince me to see it and I'm not sure why I put up such opposition to it but I thought it was going to be a really heavy-handed, preachy film about poverty when it ended up being more of a look at childhood than a "Don't you feel sorry for these people!!?" vehicle I was expecting...if that makes any sense?

Parasite is something I went in completely blind to, and I appreciated it more that way.  To say it's a very dark social-class comedy is probably inaccurate but I don't know how else to describe it.  Great.

Everything else on your list I either haven't seen, or didn't like, but I'm not going to use these thread to knock stuff I didn't care for that other people like.

Edited by caley

Guest The Magnificent 7

Sicario is essential. The sequel was unfairly maligned but will also be on my list. 

More under the radar stuff off the top of my head for your consideration...

Anthropoid

A Field in England

Bomb City

Hostiles

Milius

Kill the Irishman

Wind River

The Lost City of Z

Drug War

MacBeth

Bone Tomahawk