DVDVR Message Board

Announcing the BEST OF THE 2010s POLL~!

RIPPA

Speaking of making time. I need to finally sit down and watch Blue Ruin (2013) which I am told is one of the best get you some get back movies since Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. 

MV5BMTY4NTM2MDg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA3

That's high praise, so I am expecting a lot from this movie and hope not to be disappointed.

Edited by J.T.

Man, I was perusing the decade and just realized that 2014 is probably the GOAT year for populist genre action movies.  Off the top of my head, you had:

Marvel’s two best movies (Winter Soldier, GOTG)

The best X-Men movie (DOFP)

The best Planet of the Apes movie (Dawn)

Edge of Tomorrow

The first John Wick

Snowpiercer

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I need answers!

IMDB considers it a TV show.

Honestly - I am not gonna fight too hard if you want to call it a movie but I don't think anyone else is going to vote for it as a movie so you might be wasting your time.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EVA said:

Man, I was perusing the decade and just realized that 2014 is probably the GOAT year for populist genre action movies.  Off the top of my head, you had:

Marvel’s two best movies (Winter Soldier, GOTG)

Marvel's two best movies? You are spot on with GOTG, but you seem to have misspelled Black Panther and it came out in 2018, not 2014. ?

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

IMDB considers it a TV show.

Honestly - I am not gonna fight too hard if you want to call it a movie but I don't think anyone else is going to vote for it as a movie so you might be wasting your time.

I'm half-joking. I continue to be deeply amused by some cinephiles loving the smell of David Lynch's farts so much that they'll pretend an 18-hour mini-series is actually a movie. 

On the other hand, it's definitely my favourite piece of media from the last decade and I'm tempted to throw it on the list. But I probably won't because it's TV at the end of the day. 

On the other hand, OJ: MADE IN AMERICA won an Oscar, despite primarily being a TV  miniseries, so nobody forget to put that one on your list.

Or to watch it, if you haven’t.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

On the other hand, OJ: MADE IN AMERICA won an Oscar, despite primarily being a TV  miniseries, so nobody forget to put that one on your list.

Or to watch it, if you haven’t.

Thanks for reminding me. I just noticed this on one of my streaming services within the last couple weeks and I haven't seen it yet. I'll get on it. 

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire hit Hulu today. Critical consensus makes me think that will be a strong player on ballots. Without rewatching stuff my preliminary top 5 might be (or thinking through every film I've seen).

Hide contents

1. The Master

2. Tree of Life

3.The Social Network

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. Before Midnight

Like you, my top 5 is pretty much set:

1. An Elephant Sitting Still (Ban, 2018)

2. Songs My Brothers Taught Me (Zhao, 2015)

3. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Leitch, 2019)

4. Evil Bong 420 (Band, 2015)

5. Son of Saul (Nemes, 2015)

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

Inside the Spiderverse is the one that has the strongest chance of making my ballot.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has a better chance ;).

Snap judgments..

To me, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a top spot contender.

21 out of 23 films came from Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe this decade. I'm thinking 7 make my ballot.

Poor decade for DC.

Fox was hit and miss with X-Men. The highs: Logan and Deadpool with real lows in X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

I preferred 1990-1999 and 2000-2009 to the last decade.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Do DVD films like Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013) count? The latter did, ditto for Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000).

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Do DVD films like Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013) count? The latter did, ditto for Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000).

Yes - though just remember that the voting base for those might be super small.

Times around here have changed A LOT since Mask of the Phantasm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - though just remember that the voting base for those might be super small.

Times around here have changed A LOT since Mask of the Phantasm

Nice one. Cheers, RIPPA and yes, times they'r a changing.