DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson Appreciation.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If I could pick any two wrestlers to meet? Daniel Bryan and Bret Hart. Two others? Kenta Kobashi and Kazuchika Okada.

I'd add Jumbo Tsuruta and Okada, realizing that prime Jumbo was a bit before your time as a fan.  Otherwise, no arguments at all, we got Bret vs the guy that a lot of folks don't like to talk about and while that was great, Bryan vs prime Bret would be off the charts good. 

Here's one for you... Dynamite Kid vs Daniel Bryan. What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think Bret was too big and powerful for Danielson. Bret had easily 20 lbs on him.

I think Danielson vs Kanemoto or Ohtani matchup would have been just nasty.

Bret was a good deal bigger than Benoit and their match was just fine. I think one of the Hitman's strengths was being able to adapt to whoever he was working with and make them look like a million bucks. 

• Like 3

Bryan is and will probably always be my favourite wrestler of all time. To me, wrestling peaked with WM XXX and nothing will ever top that.

Apart from obviously been one of the best in ring performers of all time, I think Bryan's greatest attribute is managing to get anything over, specially dumb stuff that WWE threw his way:

Stupid love triangle/wedding thing? Awesome. Throaway team with Kane with cheesy backstage segments? Turn it one of the most over acts in the company eventually making him the hottest wrestler in the world. Elimination Chamber with Santino? Holy shit was it good.

His 2005-2008 ROH run is definitely one of the best of all time and features matches that I still revisit to this day against Roderick, Kenta, Morishima, Nigel, Aries and many more. Him diving into Morishima during his entrance and running back to the ring in time for the crowd to sing "IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN" Its still one of the coolest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

I was in the crowd at WM 28 and the one person I was looking forward to watch the most was DB. I even had a "YES" sign with me and I had no idea it had caught on so much until I was at the stadium. Obviously the 18 seconds happened but that was probably the best thing that could've ever happened to his career.

Basically, what I'm saying here, is that he's the greatest of all time.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great post. I feel like there’s always this sort of anti-recency bias in GOAT discussions. Like to me Macho, Eddy and Funk are the three best wrestlers of all time because they could do absolutely anything (any style of match, anywhere on the card, against any opponent) at an elite level and make money doing it.

And...Bryan is pretty much that same kind of guy. Talking, comedy, grappling, flying, selling, whatever. As face or heel. Against anyone. So for that reason I should probably expand my list.

The only thing I can’t pinpoint and I feel like this is just a brain cramp, is a good old fashioned hate filled Bryan brawl. Possibly with buckets of blood. Possibly in blue jeans. I’m sure this exists and I’m just forgetting. Recommendations?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I feel like there’s always this sort of anti-recency bias in GOAT discussions. 

I also get this when I say that I think Bryan is possibly the most over wrestler of all time, at least between 2013-2014. People always go like "Ha! Not even close buddy", dismissing it just because we're talking about a recent guy.

But I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone being as over with the crowd as Bryan was during segments like the Wyatt cage match, the title ascension ceremony and pretty much that whole period of 8 months or so leading up to Mania 30. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I also get this when I say that I think Bryan is possibly the most over wrestler of all time, at least between 2013-2014. People always go like "Ha! Not even close buddy", dismissing it just because we're talking about a recent guy.

But I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone being as over with the crowd as Bryan was during segments like the Wyatt cage match, the title ascension ceremony and pretty much that whole period of 8 months or so leading up to Mania 30. 

The biggest difference was that a huge chunk of that crowd were cheering for themselves as part of the Yes Movement that changed WWE booking as opposed to cheering for Bryan. 

22 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Great post. I feel like there’s always this sort of anti-recency bias in GOAT discussions. Like to me Macho, Eddy and Funk are the three best wrestlers of all time because they could do absolutely anything (any style of match, anywhere on the card, against any opponent) at an elite level and make money doing it.

And...Bryan is pretty much that same kind of guy. Talking, comedy, grappling, flying, selling, whatever. As face or heel. Against anyone. So for that reason I should probably expand my list.

Yeah, this would have been my point.  Bryan is in the mold of Savage/Funk/Eddie in that he can be anything on the roster and it is equally believable and good.  Comedy or Serious, Face or Heel, Singles Or Tag.  A year ago, fresh off the loss to Kofi, and he cut a promo about how he and Rowan were going to do for tag teams what Becky had just done for women (i.e. main event wrestlemania) and even though I know and have known that WWE is where tag team wrestling goes to die for 25+ years now, he got me to believe that he believed, and that he was the kind of guy who would do something like that just to prove a point.  Of course that isn't happening but that I even remember it and didn't just laugh it off is all due to the way he's carried himself.

Bret was so good he made me like the WWF/E.  Bryan's so good he makes me still check in to see how he's doing even years after I stopped consistently watching.  The successor I've always been waiting for.  They make you feel it's worth your effort to root for them [even as a heel, because they're still in the right albeit total pricks about it].  Similar ability to retain themselves even underneath a mountain of Vince's "good shit" and somehow come out even stronger on the other end of it.

If I were too young to have grown up on Bret and Savage, Bryan probably would be my all time fave, no qualifiers.  The fact that he's up there anyway, in spite of me being already Imprinted, and being a lapsed fan who only sees the tip of the iceberg, and the anti-recency bias you speak of, speaks to how self-evident his greatness is.

18 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I never thought I would hear an Austinesque Pop again.

But I did then.

• Like 3

Danielson has been one of my fave wrestlers since my interest was piqued by an article in one of the Apter mags on the 2001 Super 8 and I got a very average quality dubbed copy of that show, been a fan of his show ever since. That show was also my introduction to tape trading as well.

One of my fave matches of his was on a show that hardly anyone saw, there's a touring company that runs in Australia called World Series Wrestling, that have bought many indy names to Australia over the last 15 years. On the 2007 tour, they had Danielson, Nigel and Aries at the peak of their powers, plus some randoms like Kidman and Kid Kash, the Friday night in Sydney had the Danielson vs Nigel match that was every bit as good as you'd expect. But on the Sunday night in Newcastle, about 110 miles out of Sydney they did Danielson vs Kidman where they just went at an absurd pace for half an hour and had one of my fave live matches ever in front of maybe 200 people. Not sure if it would still hold up as well, as I haven't seen it back since, but I remember it being a masterclass from Danielson, basically doing his arrogant dickhead ROH champion character to the absolute max.

Because I'm lazy, can anyone tell me apart from the above Memphis match, how many times he faced Regal and what were his best matches against him? Also did he ever wrestle Eddie Guerrero? I know Punk did, so maybe around the same time?

6 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Because I'm lazy, can anyone tell me apart from the above Memphis match, how many times he faced Regal and what were his best matches against him? Also did he ever wrestle Eddie Guerrero? I know Punk did, so maybe around the same time?

I don't think he worked Eddie. He worked Regal on some house shows. These are the only televised matches:

1    08.11.2011    World Wrestling Entertainment    Daniel Bryan defeats William Regal
WWE Superstars #135 - TV-Show @ Echo Arena in Liverpool, Merseyside, England, UK
2    20.12.2010    World Wrestling Entertainment    Daniel Bryan defeats William Regal (4:28)
WWE Monday Night RAW #917 - TV-Show @ Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas, USA
3    13.04.2010    World Wrestling Entertainment    William Regal defeats Daniel Bryan (1:23)
WWE NXT #1.08 - TV-Show @ o2 Arena in London, England, UK

Based on the match times and settings, I'm assuming the Superstars match was the best.

• Thanks 1

One of my good childhood friends signed to NXT told me that Bryan, above anyone else, made him feel welcome during his first house show loop. I think that's what separates him from the pack the most, his ideals. Gulak wouldn't be doing anything right now if it wasn't for Bryan's stroke. Selfishly, I'd love for him to finish his career travelling the independent circuit one last time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Based on the match times and settings, I'm assuming the Superstars match was the best.

That's what I heard as well though I only saw the Superstars match.  I do still have to smile thinking about it.  I'm a sucker for two guys who think the world of each other just having fun and putting on a great match.  This was definitely one of them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's what I heard as well though I only saw the Superstars match.  I do still have to smile thinking about it.  I'm a sucker for two guys who think the world of each other just having fun and putting on a great match.  This was definitely one of them.

It's also great because Regal comes out to his Man's Man theme.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

It's also great because Regal comes out to his Man's Man theme.

I watched this again last night. Regal turning around towards the back and grinning from ear to ear when he realizes what’s going on, plus Bryan laughing his ass off in the ring, is heartwarming. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I watched this again last night. Regal turning around towards the back and grinning from ear to ear when he realizes what’s going on, plus Bryan laughing his ass off in the ring, is heartwarming. 

I want to see this.  Is it on the network?

• Like 1