DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson Appreciation.

Love Bryan BUT...

If he is going to be talked up as one of the best in the world, he should not be going toe to toe, move for move, and swapping nearfalls with a guy like Dustin Rhodes.

There's diminished returns on having "great matches" with guys that are clearly not on his level.

It would be more valuable to walk through guys like Rhodes & the Bucks (one on one) because then when Garcia or Jungle Boy takes him 15-20 minutes it feels special.

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Love Bryan BUT...

If he is going to be talked up as one of the best in the world, he should not be going toe to toe, move for move, and swapping nearfalls with a guy like Dustin Rhodes.

There's diminished returns on having "great matches" with guys that are clearly not on his level.

It would be more valuable to walk through guys like Rhodes & the Bucks (one on one) because then when Garcia or Jungle Boy takes him 15-20 minutes it feels special.

Dude i dont even rate Garcia or Jungle Boy on the same level as The Natural. 50 years old or not, Dustin Rhodes is still great... and better than Cody and the other 50 year old in AEW - Jericho.

• Like 1

Im not trying to talk down Dustin. He's awesome.

I just hope that someone can get in Bryan's ear and tell him that it'll mean more when these young guys keep up with him if he shows that he can run through some midcarders.

When everyone can keep up with a guy like Bryan it loses some of that appeal.

I'm not saying he has to go all Triple H 2002 on the roster but the reason that Shelton Benjamin match felt special was because people just didn't school Hunter like that back then.

I like how Bryan Danielson mixes up his finishes. In AEW, he's won matches with the Lebell Lock, Running Knee and the Guillotine Choke. Reminds me of his ROH run with the Cattle Mutilation, elbows to the jaw, Omoplata and Mr. Small Package. Bret Hart was great at getting pinning combinations over - countering the Sleeper with the pin vs. Roddy Piper at WrestleMania VIII/Steve Austin's Million Dollar Dream at Survivor Series 1996, the Victory Roll on Bam Bam Bigelow at the 1993 King of the Ring finals. Sometimes he was countered and lost vs. British Bulldog at SummerSlam 1992 and Owen Hart at WrestleMania X.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I like how Bryan Danielson mixes up his finishes. In AEW, he's won matches with the Lebell Lock, Running Knee and the Guillotine Choke. Reminds me of his ROH run with the Cattle Mutilation, elbows to the jaw, Omoplata and Mr. Small Package. Bret Hart was great at getting pinning combinations over - countering the Sleeper with the pin vs. Roddy Piper at WrestleMania VIII/Steve Austin's Million Dollar Dream at Survivor Series 1996, the Victory Roll on Bam Bam Bigelow at the 1993 King of the Ring finals. Sometimes he was countered and lost vs. British Bulldog at SummerSlam 1992 and Owen Hart at WrestleMania X.

I liked how Bret worked the SS92 finish into a call back in his IYH match against Bulldog 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So Phil and Eric just rated Danielson vs Dustin #2 on the SC list for the year, over even Garrini vs Kingston, which was a hell of a thing. You guys should read it.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2021/10/ongoing-2021-moty-list-dustin-vs-dragon.html

I'm not sure I'm fully on board on this ride. There are definitely two wolves within Brian Danielson. One of them is focused on big, big ideas, and a lot of ideas, placing them up and down his matches (one of them, as Paul indicated, is the idea that he can win with a different move every match, which over the span of months, will make his matches very exciting). The other is focused on being completely and utterly unleashed, of shaking off the reins of WWE holding him back for a decade and especially over the last few years, and going as fast and as hard as he possibly can, dragging his opponent behind him to the very best of their ability to keep up. I don't think he's necessarily having the absolute best matches he can with his opponents but he is very focused on having the absolute most. And in a world where the AEW audience were honed and forged by watching 2010s NJPW, that makes a hell of a lot of sense. To me, though, a lot of those ideas end up not nearly as developed as they could be if the two wolves weren't warring with one another. I'd take half the ideas, three-quarters of the high octane action, and let those ideas really breathe, and we'd have matches that I'd personally be happier with. I'm not the target audience, however, and maybe neither is the crowd. I think, in this case, the target audience is Danielson himself.

• Like 2

If we're gonna pretend there's some realism involved here, the idea of officially 5'10" Brian Danielson having a competivish match with an officially 6'6" Dustin Rhodes isn't totally insane. 

At the very least, it would less questionable than if Danielson was working 50/50 vs guys smaller than him who aren't presented as threats against anybody else in AEW. There's a difference between how a match could be laid out if Danielson was working someone who is Barry Windham-sized or someone who is Mike Rotundo-sized (edit: on checking... Rotundo/Rotunda was billed at 6'3/6'4? his boring ass never seemed thaaat tall.... so... maybe not that comp.. but you can see how if we're pretending this is a real fight, an 8 inch height difference might be relevant for at least part of it)

There's probably some happy way to do Bret Hart TV matches with a variety of people without taking any sort of reputational hit because of how much offense they eat before winning the match.

I suspect that Infinito might exist for the sake of having some matches without the matches reflecting on Danielson.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

I think someone in the AEW thread said that Bryan gave Dustin too much. But the comparison of Dustin to Jordan on the Wizards is spot on and why I feel thats false. I feel that AEW has been pretty consistent as presenting Dustin as sort of a "just over the hill top guy" he's probably not going to beat the top guys anymore but hes gonna make them dig deep and take them to his limit

On 10/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, eikerir said:

Always loved the one to Cesaro as he was falling down into an European Uppercut, about 2:40 into the clip below. It's just your standard small packaged but the smoothness and added momentum made it look awesome.

I love that match. Gave it ****3/4. What a year for Daniel Bryan and Antonio Cesaro.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 6:59 AM, The Natural said:

Facts, it's funny how everyone is acting like using different finishes is new for Bryan. I wonder if he wanted to try that in WWE? I'm sure he has , just not against the top guys maybe. 

How was his match vs Dustin? That seems like a dream match that I never thought about 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, L_W_P said:

Im not trying to talk down Dustin. He's awesome.

I just hope that someone can get in Bryan's ear and tell him that it'll mean more when these young guys keep up with him if he shows that he can run through some midcarders.

When everyone can keep up with a guy like Bryan it loses some of that appeal.

I'm not saying he has to go all Triple H 2002 on the roster but the reason that Shelton Benjamin match felt special was because people just didn't school Hunter like that back then.

This is true, but as long as he keeps on winning, anyone who actually beats him, will be pretty well off!

• 2 weeks later...

FGsdoOeX0Ac-fSM?format=jpg&name=900x900

FGsdoDTWUAEjXc5?format=jpg&name=small

FGsdntLXEAUBec5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bryan Danielson is the 2021 Wrestler of the Year even missing nearly five months after leaving WWE, that's insane:

Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns vs. Edge at WrestleMania XXXVI. ****1/4.

Daniel Bryan's last WWE match vs. Roman Reigns on Smackdown Live. ****3/4.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****. My MOTY.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage. 15th October 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October. ****3/4.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December. *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1