DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson Appreciation.

Man, that heel run was absolutely incredible.  It also came at the right time where there were crowds to play this off of.  The way Daniel got them to boo him then the slow (by WWE standards) transition back to face worked very well.  If they waited even a year later there's no guarantee we'd get the satisfying conclusion due to COVID that put a nice bow on everything.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Different look for the GOAT.

I don't actually know these things, but considering some of the comments regarding the NXT UK rosters hair/ facial-hairstyles, isn't that a bit alt.right for someone like DB? Not that anyone should be allowed to claim a certain hair/beard style for themselves. More modern, no question.

7 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I’m 44 years old, I’ve been watching pro wrestling since the early 80s, and I’ve been watching Bryan Danielson since 2002. He’s the best of all time, FULL STOP.

Hello, @WholeFnMachine. Good seeing you here, my friend. Daniel Bryan is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time. I'm 35 years old and been watching wrestling since the age of five.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hello, @WholeFnMachine. Good seeing you here, my friend. Daniel Bryan is the Greatest Wrestler of All Time. I'm 35 years old and been watching wrestling since the age of five.

I meant to encompass his entire body of work, including the Daniel Bryan run, he’ll always be Bryan Danielson to me, but I love WWE run as well as his indie run. Though I do really, really miss the Final Countdown.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I meant to encompass his entire body of work, including the Daniel Bryan run, he’ll always be Bryan Danielson to me, but I love WWE run as well as his indie run. Though I do really, really miss the Final Countdown.

I also love both runs, as Bryan Danielson in Ring of Honour and Daniel Bryan in WWE. Danielson's ROH Word Championship run was special, best in the belt's history. The arrogant champion coming out to the Final Countdown with specialized ring announcer introductions and "I have till five!"

Daniel Bryan can truly do it all: a vast, vast back catalogue of matches, the plucky likeable babyface, the cocky heel, The New Daniel Bryan lecturing people over their vices, the hottest of hot tags, the crowd reactions he generates, can carry people, most people had their best match with Bryan etc. The Greatest Wrestler to ever do it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Who does everyone have as Bryan's best opponent? Ki, Joe, Aries, Homicide, KENTA, Styles, McGuinness, Morishima, Sheamus, Cena, Orton, someone else?

He's had a decent amount of matches with each one of them and they're all good to great, so it's kind of hard to pinpoint one and I'm sure could provide some quality discussion.

31 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Who does everyone have as Bryan's best opponent? Ki, Joe, Aries, Homicide, KENTA, Styles, McGuinness, Morishima, Sheamus, Cena, Orton, someone else?

He's had a decent amount of matches with each one of them and they're all good to great, so it's kind of hard to pinpoint one and I'm sure could provide some quality discussion.

Good question.

Tough call as so many wrestlers had their best match with Daniel Bryan. I'd probably go for AJ Styles based on their January 2006 match in Ring of Honor, at TLC 2018 I gave ***** to and the finals of the Intercontinental Championship tournament on Smackdown in June this year.

Such a shame Daniel Bryan never wrestled John Cena again after SummerSlam 2013. That was my Match of the Year. A ***** match. Always preferred it to Brock Lesnar/CM Punk on the same show. So worth watching live from 1am to 3:45am in the early hours of Monday morning UK time.

One name you didn't mention that I'll bring up, Cesaro.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

So one thing that hasn't been brought up is how no matter how insipid the show or story is Daniel finds a way to make it worthwhile.  Whether it's him on JBL and Cole show with bear antics or other various hijinks there's something about his goofy nature that makes it that much better.  Which bring me to Total Bellas.  I can't stand the show and ended up skipping last season.  But if I care to I do find myself fast forwarding through the episodes just to see Daniel's segments.  Some are quite serious such as when he was retired the show did show the emotional pain he was in.  If anything that might be the stuff to seek out as there was a lot going on there.  I think it was three seasons ago.  Then there's stuff like last week where he went to a Shaman and fooled Brie into thinking he was on something that caused him to do inane texts (blanking on what it was)  It's a really dumb show but for something that takes at most 20 minutes (and in many cases less) to get through I'm cool with it.

• Like 3

He's clearly aged some. 

Also, Bryan is probably the epitome of clean living. Vegan, doesn't drink or do drugs. Also, he did have those instances where he wasn't wrestling and wrecking his body day in and day out for a solid chunk of time during this decade. And he didn't spend that time falling into bad habits.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of the few things Daniel Bryan hasn't done, win the Royal Rumble match. Bryan wasn't in the 2014 Royal Rumble match as expected and people BOOED REY MYSTERIO, the 30th entrant. Bryan should've won the infamous 2015 Royal Rumble match but was eliminated early and the crowd crapped on the rest won by Roman Reigns. It's not going to happen but I'd love Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXXVII for the WWE Universal Championship, one of the only things Bryan's not won. Wanted Bryan/Reigns to go at it again since Fastlane 2015.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 12/26/2020 at 11:34 PM, The Natural said:

One of the few things Daniel Bryan hasn't done, win the Royal Rumble match. Bryan wasn't in the 2014 Royal Rumble match as expected and people BOOED REY MYSTERIO, the 30th entrant. Bryan should've won the infamous 2015 Royal Rumble match but was eliminated early and the crowd crapped on the rest won by Roman Reigns. It's not going to happen but I'd love Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXXVII for the WWE Universal Championship, one of the only things Bryan's not won. Wanted Bryan/Reigns to go at it again since Fastlane 2015.

Bryan v Reigns at Wrestlemania would be a real treat. This thread inspired me to go back and watch my favourite matches of his v Low Ki and Morishima for the first time in a good while. 

On 12/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, The Natural said:

I still remember this. So over. Mark Henry's bit is funny.

I was in the building for this one and man, Seattle crowds are the best when they want to be. Between this and booing Elias and KO for 3 minutes straight after the SuperSonics comment.

I remember seeing Danielson and Adam Pearce have a banger of a match in the middle of nowhere north of Vancouver in front of maybe 70 people. Dude goes balls to the wall no matter the crowd.

• Like 1