DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

If they want to do teleportation in an arena with fans, they could use the Michael Jackson Superbowl technique. Like when the Undertaker died, and then Marty Janetty was winched up to the ceiling dressed as him.

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2020 at 5:37 AM, SirFozzie said:

If you told the folks who didn't like AEW at the beginning "In March 2020, there will not be a single fan in the stands and the main event will include Y2J cutting a promo on a drone", they would have thought they were right, and AEW was going out of business.

Instead it's the best thing going in the business.

That’s an incredibly low bar at the moment.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Wasn't really subtle. ?

I thought it was really subtle up until the sneeze bit. It wasn’t an obvious jab at Vince prior to that, but enough to make you wonder/assume it was a Vince dig.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I hope the next people to jump from WWE don't have such glaring daddy issues.

Unlikely when you've got defacto president Cody on commentary still trying to take potshots at Triple H: "That's the best HIGH KNEE in the business."

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I hope the next people to jump from WWE don't have such glaring daddy issues.

I had mixed feelings on that, too but when I said to my girlfriend "Oh, we're doing this I guess," she had no idea what I meant until I explained it, and she's an every week viewer. So while I usually hate that kind of stuff (it REALLY put me off TNA for a long time) I think it was subtle enough here that the average fan isn't going to digest it in the same way they would a Billionaire Ted skit or the Outsiders coming out dressed as Vince & Shane or whatever. I do agree with you in that I hope it's not an every week thing, but Brodie's a good enough performer and I trust the creative enough so far to where I don't think he's gonna ever end up like, power strutting to the ring in a wig and having people kiss his ass or something.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I wrote badly

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I had mixed feelings on that, too but when I said to my girlfriend "Oh, we're doing this I guess," she had no idea what I meant until I explained it, and she's an every week viewer, but not a fan before 2015ish when she randomly picked up one of the 2k games. So while I usually hate that kind of stuff (it REALLY put me off TNA for a long time) I think it was subtle enough here that the average fan isn't going to digest it in the same way they would a Billionaire Ted skit or the Outsiders coming out dressed as Vince & Shane or whatever. But I do agree with you in that I hope it's not an every week thing, but Brodie's a good enough performer and I trust the creative enough so far to where I don't think he's gonna ever end up like, power strutting to the ring in a wig and having people kiss his ass or something.

Are we forgetting that like 3/4 of the roster isn't there? If there is any time to do some humor with no actual point other than a quick laugh, this would probably be it. 

Also, I would love to see anyone who is mad at this try to explain this to a non smart wrestling fan because it would only serve to make this even funnier.

"Well see...this one guy who owns another company has a particular pet peeve among a whole slew of pet peev..."

"Wait...you mean chewing your food loudly?"

"No."

"You mean not washing your hands."

"No."

"Taking food off someone else's plate"

"Try again."

"So what the fuck is it?"

"You know what? I should never watch wresting with you."

End scene.

• Like 2

AEW still seems to want to play the game where their biggest heel is Vince McMahon. The problem if Vince is walking through that door, it’s with the keys to more than Jon Moxley’s car. Turning Brodie Lee who is nominally a big new heel into a parody of Vince won’t make them hate Brodie. Making his finish have a mechanically pointless constant reminder of the lackey he used to be won’t make him look like a brand new important guy. And I love Brodie as a talent but let’s please make it something about him and not something about Vince and Bray.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Goodear said:

AEW still seems to want to play the game where their biggest heel is Vince McMahon.

And we're saying Vince is the top heel. Even unconsciously, we know who it is.

But BTW if this shit somehow trolls people into watching more, I'm all for it.

5 hours ago, caley said:

Unlikely when you've got defacto president Cody on commentary still trying to take potshots at Triple H: "That's the best HIGH KNEE in the business."

I legitimately thought he and Tony were making "hiney" jokes. I am a moron. Goofing on HHH makes more WAY more sense than talking about Kenny's hot ass. Kenny? Sammy? Who the fuck was in the ring when that happened?

Whatever. I agree. Fuck Vince, don't mention him, don't try to poke fun. It's dumb. Just keep putting really good shows on.

• Like 3

I find it far more amusing than annoying. I like that AEW chooses to exist in something approximating the real world rather than trying to create their own separate universe. It used to drive me up the wall in the 1980s when the WWF refused to acknowledge what wrestlers had done before arriving in New York. I'm absolutely fine with AEW openly acknowledging it and having some fun with it. 

Edited by gordi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gordi said:

I find it far more amusing than annoying. I like that AEW chooses to exist in something approximating the real world rather than trying to create their own separate universe. It used to drive me up the wall in the 1980s when the WWF refused to acknowledge what wrestlers had done before arriving in New York. I'm absolutely fine with AEW openly acknowledging it and having some fun with it. 

Same here. What does it matter if they take the piss out of someone else. They're not living in a vacuum.

• Like 4

I don't really care either way about them taking shots at Vince, but Meltzer saying that Vince was furious about it is hilarious. He's the ultimate "can dish it out, but can't take it" hole of the ass

• Like 4

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I don't really care either way about them taking shots at Vince, but Meltzer saying that Vince was furious about it is hilarious. He's the ultimate "can dish it out, but can't take it" hole of the ass

I also tend to doubt Vince was even aware or even cared. Who knows though.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I also tend to doubt Vince was even aware or even cared. Who knows though.

Well, I'm sure he didn't watch it, but I'm also sure somebody in WWE watches and tells Vince

I loved how they responded to the Britt baker nxt thing. I was like for sure they will do a bit on bte about it, but they featured it on dynamite and it was perfect. Made me lol for real. All the Vince potshots do come across as lame to me. They always talk about how they aren’t in a war and are doing their own thing, don’t reference Vince. 

5 hours ago, gordi said:

I think you're misunderstanding the issue. No one wants AEW to pretend that wrestlers didn't exist outside of AEW. It's the potshots at Vince and WWE in general (comments about scripted promos, Cody's corny throne, the whole Brodie debacle) that come off as petty.

To most viewers, WWE is wrestling. Positioning your promotion on-air as "the other guys" will only lead to being treated like "the other guys." It's a very #2 move. They should be worried about putting on good wrestling shows, not just shows that tell people how they aren't that other company. This is where the TNA comparison comes into play. Don't tell us. Show us. 

Also, the only people that really like those shots? Anti-WWE, dyed-in-the-wool AEW fans. They're going to watch anyway. But if you spend all your time making insider references and make your number 2 promotion look low-rent, you aren't going to pick up new viewers. Booking *everything* according to what hardcore fans want is bad business. Those fans are finite. 

• Like 5

Then the others aren't going to know what the hell he's talking about. Which is another issue. Why waste that time? Does the fan that is going to stop watching because "I wish they'd just shit on the McMahons like they used to" really exist? What purpose does any of that serve for the overall show?