DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 8: Lee vs. Oliveira (3/14/2020) - Brasília, Brazil (Ginásio Nilson Nelson)

Elsalvajeloco

They should never do the big hype on 'This isn't going to the Judges'. It almost always does, when they say that.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:48 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am really intrigued with the Maia vs. Burns fight. I mean people were wondering how Maia would do against Gunnar Nelson (and just recently Ben Askren) in terms of implementing his jiu-jitsu. I don't think this Burns fight will be a walk in the park.

Told y'all.

• Like 1

The fact that Olivera has the most submissions in UFC history is kind of amazing, because his grappling fundamentals are sloppy as shit.  I actually think it's a strength, because he just attacks no matter what position he's in, and eventually he catches someone slipping.  Lightweight is the only division where you can finish 6 fights in a row and only be ranked #13, and you think to yourself, "yeah, that seems about right for him."

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

The fact that Olivera has the most submissions in UFC history is kind of amazing

I don't know if you remember his early run in the UFC (when they were still on Spike and then got on Fox), but it seemed unfair that he was in the same class as these guys. He made dudes look like straight up jobbers. I think what he was doing back then was kinda sloppy because it was clear against a more polished grappler at the time like a Jim Miller, he could be beat by something more conventional. Add in the fact, his striking just wasn't there yet. Now? His confidence isn't as misguided. He can let go of submissions randomly like he did here w/ Kevin Lee because he knows he has a shot at about four or five submission next go round. That's where he is right now.

It seems like Do Bronx has finally put it all together. His boxing is now really, really good. He was landing some quality shots on Kevin Lee. On the ground, he just stifled Lee to the point where even when Lee was landing punches standing over top of Do Bronx, it was nothing effective at all. He just took his sweet time doing whatever. At no point did it seem like Do Bronx didn't have control of this fight. Also, that guillotine choke was fucking downright nasty. Lee was clearly starting to lose consciousness as after the tap, he didn't even recognize the fight was over and that he actually tapped. This version of Do Bronx is a goddamn problem.

• Like 1

It's Amanda Ribas' world and we're all living in it. I cannot wait to see her get in the mix with the top 5 of strawweight. She's the Monta Ellis of this division... Striking, grappling, mentality, cardio, physicality, star quality, personality... Amanda Ribas has it all. 

• Like 1

Oh my gaaauwd, Do Bronx got Lee so good that Kevin didn't even know he tapped. I don't think I've seen that. 

Is Charles Oliveira top 5 in terms of talent that hasn't fought for a title in the UFC? He's been around for 10 years in the UFC and he's only 30. He has really put it all together the last 3 or so of those 10 years with fluid striking, movement, and of course maintained the excellence of grappling. And his frame is just fucking ridiculous. How did this fuckin' guy make featherweight?! What kind of damage must've he done to his body to get down to 145? He and Barboza have been my two faves in the UFC for 5 or so years. It's so nice to see Charles find this level of success and put himself about in the sport's best division. 

Burns is another one of those dudes who has been around forever but is finally starting to put it all together. How many people can roll with Demien Maia and not sweat? You love to see it. 

• Like 1

My girl Randa just can't ever get a string of wins going. That win-loss-win-loss streak is crazy. But Amanda did look great all around.
Love Maryna Moroz, good to see her win, after that my picks fell to shit entirely. 
Disappointed to see Johnny Walker take another loss. Those first three fights were so awesome and he felt like the next big thing for a moment.

• Like 2

It's not like Walker has lost the skills that made that initial streak so impressive. Going to Tristar is a good start but he's got to work on his defensive wrestling and have a little bit of structure for the wildin' out shit to work. It will take a while. I don't think it's time to write him off but he's now more of a project than a rising star. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

My girl Randa just can't ever get a string of wins going. That win-loss-win-loss streak is crazy. But Amanda did look great all around.
Love Maryna Moroz, good to see her win, after that my picks fell to shit entirely. 
Disappointed to see Johnny Walker take another loss. Those first three fights were so awesome and he felt like the next big thing for a moment.

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It's not like Walker has lost the skills that made that initial streak so impressive. Going to Tristar is a good start but he's got to work on his defensive wrestling and have a little bit of structure for the wildin' out shit to work. It will take a while. I don't think it's time to write him off but he's now more of a project than a rising star. 

God bless him, but Johnny Walker didn't have the best strategy for getting Krylov off of him. That just slowly took the wind out of his sails. Hard to judge a guy based off his first real training camp with a real team especially under these highly unusual circumstances. However, maybe he does better training in Thailand or Brazil with some random dudes. I wonder can he really click with Firas Zahabi. I don't see a whole lot of chemistry there at least right off the bat. I know this is a long time ago and a whole bunch of people have changed camps since there, but Jon Jones went from being very good to excellent when he left Team Bombsquad for what was still then Jackson's MMA. If a guy has a ton of athletic potential, he shouldn't look like non-athletic as soon as he makes that jump. Not only did he spent most of that fight fending off takedowns (and also on his back), but he just looked so lethargic. Maybe having a crowd there could have spurred him on a little, but Krylov basically employed the old "I only need X takedowns" Chael Sonnen strategy. Krylov wasn't exactly trying to do anything more than that. If you realize a guy is trying to do that to you after round one, you have to come out the next round guns ablazing. I dunno if Firas didn't implore Walker to do that in between rounds or if Johnny Walker's fight IQ just betrayed him. He also got buzzed a little in this fight and didn't take it well so that's another thing you have to worry about. Gonna be a tough road ahead for him.

Firas appeared to be saying the right things I think between rounds 2 and 3 when he was talking about getting at least one underhook when Krylov gets the clinch. I agree though that there didn't seem to be chemistry. Language barrier? Trust issues? Does he have the discipline to fight smart and listen to his corner? We'll find out. I hope he gets another fight with Zahabi as his trainer either way. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Firas appeared to be saying the right things I think between rounds 2 and 3 when he was talking about getting at least one underhook when Krylov gets the clinch. I agree though that there didn't seem to be chemistry. Language barrier? Trust issues? Does he have the discipline to fight smart and listen to his corner? We'll find out. I hope he gets another fight with Zahabi as his trainer either way. 

Hopefully, that's what happens because the split between Walker and his last coach didn't exactly end amicably.