DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

I can't see any way WM isn't sad and pitiful.  I kinda sorta understand what Vince is thinking.  Who knows when they'll be able to run live shows for crowds again or if there will still even be a company if it isn't safe to run live events again for a year or more.

On the other hand, if this does somehow being the last gasp of his company, is this really the way he wants to go out?  Sometimes, you're better off just yielding to conventional wisdom and going on on a high note.  It's not like he can't trot out PPV's and the like to fill tv air time.

Like people have said, WWE has a major advantage over other sports because of the re-watchability and the footage library. They could get some of their biggest names (and the Attitude Era guys) to host old Wrestlemania watch-alongs  remotely or old house shows or dark match footage they haven't released. They probably have 20 Hogan matches from tapings that still haven't been released. You're not going to find a NBA game from 20 years ago that no one's ever seen, etc. Plus no Players Union or anything that would stop them from forcing players to host remotely or whatever. 

41 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Like people have said, WWE has a major advantage over other sports because of the re-watchability and the footage library. They could get some of their biggest names (and the Attitude Era guys) to host old Wrestlemania watch-alongs  remotely or old house shows or dark match footage they haven't released. They probably have 20 Hogan matches from tapings that still haven't been released. You're not going to find a NBA game from 20 years ago that no one's ever seen, etc. Plus no Players Union or anything that would stop them from forcing players to host remotely or whatever. 

Watch alongs would be a great way to fill TV time. You can have people with decent audio setups host from their homes and give some commentary and behind the scenes tidbits. Austin presenting Mania 13 with Bret and/or Taker calling in for a story or two would be great, even if the people on this board would know all the good stories already. I almost suggested Austin and Prichard doing commentary but that would most likely be awful.

I think maybe there is an audience for old stuff, but not on a major network. That just seems too niche. Maybe the first night would be a curiosity, but the following Friday’s there won’t be enough juice. Kind of like how these empty arena shows drew curious viewers at first, but are slowly losing fans episode by episode. People want fresh wrestling contest right now. 

54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think maybe there is an audience for old stuff, but not on a major network. That just seems too niche. Maybe the first night would be a curiosity, but the following Friday’s there won’t be enough juice. Kind of like how these empty arena shows drew curious viewers at first, but are slowly losing fans episode by episode. People want fresh wrestling contest right now. 

I think people want fresh content all around. When ESPN or whomever put these games on or old boxing/MMA events, they ain't putting just some standard fare stuff on. They had the Villanova/UNC 2016 NCAA BBall finals on the other day, and I watched the end like the shit just happened. However, I can see why it's not drawing anything just like replaying old matches is not as hot a concept as it was just a week ago. Re-watchability only gets you so far especially if people know that's what they are in for over the next several weeks. None of it has any bearing on what they just saw weeks ago when everything was normal. You can put on old an exciting match/angle one after another, and it won't do anywhere as good as something that progresses another match or storylines in real time. A casual fan, even if they don't know the outcome, is not about to sit and watch something that's simply lifeless because it has no direct effect on the present. If the matches and everything else they are putting together with the current limitations in place are eroding people away after one week, it's difficult to see it working with endless replays of even obscure stuff. It screams desperation. So that inherent advantage you would think WWE would have is on par with what these sports networks are currently dealing with: a bunch of content that people want to consume at their own pace and at the value they see/put it at.

• Like 2

I don't think there's much danger of the company going out of business. They still have those two massive TV deals, and Vince claimed that they have $500,000,000 cash on hand. They owe very little debt.

That Brock vs Ambrose match seriously gets worse every time you see it.  Maybe it is because of how much Moxley talks about these ideas that Brock wasn't nothing to do with.  

It is funny knowing what we known about next week probably seeing Braun is in his Baby Huey phase of the WWE where he looks like a monster only from the neck down.  

Fuck I forgot how much buried Bray Wyatt got in this segment with the Rock.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

That Brock vs Ambrose match seriously gets worse every time you see it.  Maybe it is because of how much Moxley talks about these ideas that Brock wasn't nothing to do with.  

The biggest problem was that they sold the match as something special and then really had no interest in delivering. If they hadn’t brought in Terry and Foley to put Ambrose over as the heir apparent to their legacies and made it sound like we were essentially getting a death match, it would’ve just been a shitty Brock match and everyone would have shrugged and moved on. 

• Like 5

Imagine Mania ends with Drew as new champion. Now in Tampa you would have fireworks blaring and the crowd going apeshit.  This weekend we will have crickets.  I know they like to send everyone home happy, but I would end Mania with Wyatt-Cena and have Wyatt just destroy Cena. End Mania with Wyatt standing over a battered Cena. 

30 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Seriously this better be a joke because this pisses me off as ticket buyer

Definitely not a joke. 

Here’s a link to a t-shirt that you’re bound to hate (as do I even though I wasn’t attending Mania either way):

https://shop.wwe.com/wrestlemania-36-i-wasnt-there-authentic-t-shirt/010F2745B0.html?dwvar_010F2745B0_color=black#start=7

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As someone barely paying attention, I'm kind of sad we're losing out on the pirate theme. 

I guess on the bright side, we're a little less disappointed Kairi Sane won't have a Pirate Ship entrance. 

• Thanks 1