DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Considering Undertaker was out on his feet for 85% of the match it’s a miracle they got to the finish. Brock keeps his composure, but he’s not exactly a ring general leading Taker through it either. 

I know Cole has claimed he didn't know the finish.

But, yeah, nobody believed Brock would win (and isn't that amazing in hindsight) and when the match didn't turn into something special or convince them otherwise, no one cared.

Then the finish happened...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zartan said:

It was a perfectly fine match till the shitty NWO is Sting’s back-up started. They could have sent agents Arn, Malenko and Fit out there and it would make more sense. 

I never got this line of thought. By the time of that match, Sting had been a member of the NWO, so it wasn’t as strange as everyone made it out to be. It would be weird if they ignored WCW’s history and pretended Sting and the NWO had always been enemies.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know Cole has claimed he didn't know the finish.

But, yeah, nobody believed Brock would win (and isn't that amazing in hindsight) and when the match didn't turn into something special or convince them otherwise, no one cared.

Then the finish happened...

I remember watching Brock hit the third F5 and thinking “Wow, they’re really going to have Taker kick out of thre... wait... what...”

• Like 4

I wonder how those follow-up Taker/Brock matches with all of the nut shots hold up. I recall them being somewhat well received, but that may have been in comparison to the XXX match. 

Edited by (BP)

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I remember watching Brock hit the third F5 and thinking “Wow, they’re really going to have Taker kick out of thre... wait... what...”

Literally my reaction. "They're going to ruin the F-5 as a finish...the fuck?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

I wonder how those follow-up Taker/Brock matches with all of the nut shots hold up. I recall them being somewhat well received, but that may have been in comparison to the XXX match. 

I remember liking SummerSlam, despite the weird finish, and really really liking the Cell. Probably the last high end Taker matches. But I haven't revisited them either.

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I remember thinking it was genius to have Lesnar win because now he is a huge monster. And then crushing Cena at SummerSlam, I began to wonder if they were brilliant. Then we got the Roman-Brock build...

I dunno, I look back fondly at that time when they both were trying to hug the belt.  Such reckless abandonment of social distancing ... so brave.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The Summerslam Cena squash was one of the damndest things I ever watched. Amazing match in many ways.

I really thought, for a split second around WMXXX, that they were on the verge of something special. Not a boom per se, but the best business since the last one. With Bryan as red hot as a guy had been in a decade, Lesnar strong, Shield strong....and then it all went to hell in a matter of weeks with the Kane/Bryan feud, subsequent injury and botched Reigns ascent. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

See, now I'm getting worried Mania will be 2 eight hour blocks. Guess they can't exactly kill the crowd this year but goddamn!

I'm not sure that will be the case with the taped format, lack of a crowd, and they can't really run the matches that long in this type of environment.

22 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I never got this line of thought. By the time of that match, Sting had been a member of the NWO, so it wasn’t as strange as everyone made it out to be. It would be weird if they ignored WCW’s history and pretended Sting and the NWO had always been enemies.

In that case we needed tomato face paint Sting with Luger, Konnan, and Nash to hobble down for the save 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

WITW97.1.gif

I don't remember this but the first thing I thought of was I believe DDP and Randy Savage bowling over foam tombstones during a Halloween Havoc match.

It's from BatB 2000. That PPV goes off the skids with the Wedding Gown match. This match feels like it was 15 matches later. The Hogan/Jarrett match is like 3 matches later. You will be praying for the sweet embrace of death before Russo even does that shoot promo, which was awful itself because Russo literally just walks around the ring looking down after every sentence with that grating ass accent and cadence.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So is a Boneyard match basically that match Vampiro had in a cemetery against I think the Demon that really sucked?

As long as they can work this song into it, it'll be fine: 

• Like 2

Oh man, this is some prime Wrestlecrap. Poor Little Naitch, having to stumble around in the dark with a flashlight then end up in the water because of these two clowns. Best part is Tony saying Vamp has been taunting Demon when he hasn't spoken a word yet haha. Second best is Madden (I think) having a coronary when they end up in the water. And what cemetery leaves a fucking empty coffin laying out next to an open grave?!

Edited by Curt McGirt

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020