DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

You know I said I would not advocate them working a more snug style, but honestly if they decide to persist on this really dumb idea to do empty arena shows, then fuck it just do a Battlarts style tournament with whatever you got. I would even go so far to say that this would be a good opportunity for AEW to give Jake Hager a program that can put him over. You can have Excalibar and Taz put them over as The guy with the distinct advantage in this kind of tournament because of his amateur background. 

Also I want to go back and defend that style. They are snug, but they are throwing worked forearms, punches, and kicks. The only thing that made B-Arts look more believable was the improvised amateur, and BJJ wrestling display between the strikes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So I'm catching up on the Wrestletalk No Fans Monday. The major problem with it is, it's Wrestletalk. Wrestletalk is owned by Alex Shane. Alex Shane is a guy who, if you told him that for the rest of his life, he could only watch either Russo era WCW or classic WoS, he would choose the Russo because he thinks the old WoS was boring.

I mean, he kept the UK scene alive for a while with the FWA, but there's a reason why Progress (and RevPro) became massively successful and the FWA didn't.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know I said I would not advocate them working a more snug style, but honestly if they decide to persist on this really dumb idea to do empty arena shows, then fuck it just do a Battlarts style tournament with whatever you got. I would even go so far to say that this would be a good opportunity for AEW to give Jake Hager a program that can put him over. You can have Excalibar and Taz put them over as The guy with the distinct advantage in this kind of tournament because of his amateur background. 

Also I want to go back and defend that style. They are snug, but they are throwing worked forearms, punches, and kicks. The only thing that made B-Arts look more believable was the improvised amateur, and BJJ wrestling display between the strikes.

Dude, no. These ideas are not good and you seem to not understand why these ideas aren't good.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, no. These ideas are not good and you seem to not understand why these ideas aren't good.

I don’t really see an issue with them working a more old school catch style version of wrestling over a theatrical version with nobody in the theater.

I’m saying do more chain wrestling. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Neither here nor there, but Orig Williams' book is always super cheap for kindle and it's carny as anything, but a fun enough read because who knows anything about Reslo, right?

One of the big premises of the last 10th or so was how Mason Ryan was the pride of Wales for finally making it to the WWE and the assurance that he'd be champion and have a long career, etc. 

Carny or not, I always feel a little bad thinking about that.

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There's a long tradition of people working stiff and not hurting their opponents. What happened to "I hit people very hard in very safe places?". The argument against it is that working stiff while having multiple matches a week takes a toll on the body (which, so does working safe). Only nobody in WWE is having multiple matches in a week right now, are they?

The main reason to not change styles is, the WWE very much programs it's independent contractors to only have one style of match, and so a lot might not have the versatility. At the same time, what's the best match WWE has had in the last few weeks? Bryan vs Gulak, isn't it? They worked stiff.

Also, if someone is espousing an idea that you think isn't good, and they can't understand why you think the idea isn't good, try articulating your position in a way that explains it better. Empty contradiction without explanation doesn't really move the discussion along at all, does it?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

There's a long tradition of people working stiff and not hurting their opponents. What happened to "I hit people very hard in very safe places?". The argument against it is that working stiff while having multiple matches a week takes a toll on the body (which, so does working safe). Only nobody in WWE is having multiple matches in a week right now, are they?

The main reason to not change styles is, the WWE very much programs it's independent contractors to only have one style of match, and so a lot might not have the versatility. At the same time, what's the best match WWE has had in the last few weeks? Bryan vs Gulak, isn't it? They worked stiff.

Also, if someone is espousing an idea that you think isn't good, and they can't understand why you think the idea isn't good, try articulating your position in a way that explains it better. Empty contradiction without explanation doesn't really move the discussion along at all, does it?

Here's the thing, someone already explained why it's not a good idea. Multiple times. It's clear they're not going to understand why it's not a good idea. I also wonder if they lost the idea because now it's become "I don't see a problem with catch wrestling," which then became "do more chain wrestling." So who the fuck knows.

More over and back to the original point, everyone on the roster isn't Bryan and Gulak and I don't want stuff like Bryan getting dumped on his head and neck because they're working stiff. Yeah, there's a long tradition of working stiff and not hurting opponents, and there's a very long history of people working stiff and fucking people up because they don't know what they're doing. This is especially so when most of these people came up through a system that has taught them to work in a very homogenized way, which goes to what you're saying about not changing styles.

I'm all for letting wrestlers actually wrestle and figure out their matches on their own without a ton of agents doing it for them. That would go a long way towards differentiating one match from the next and probably putting on something better for cameras. I'm also all for changing how this stuff is even filmed and presented (less cameras, darker arena only lighting the ring). I doubt either of those things happen.

But ultimately, like @MORELOCK said, I'm ok with these people not legitimately beating the shit out of each other under the guise of working stiff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here's the thing, someone already explained why it's not a good idea. Multiple times. It's clear they're not going to understand why it's not a good idea. I also wonder if they lost the idea because now it's become "I don't see a problem with catch wrestling," which then became "do more chain wrestling." So who the fuck knows.

Eivion was just saying that shootstyle wrestlers actually beat the fuck out of each other. I maintain that stiff shootstyle pro-wrestling and actual shoot fighting are two different things, and that you can have a good shootstyle match without damaging your opponent.

More over and back to the original point, everyone on the roster isn't Bryan and Gulak and I don't want stuff like Bryan getting dumped on his head and neck because they're working stiff. Yeah, there's a long tradition of working stiff and not hurting opponents, and there's a very long history of people working stiff and fucking people up because they don't know what they're doing. This is especially so when most of these people came up through a system that has taught them to work in a very homogenized way, which goes to what you're saying about not changing styles.

I'm all for letting wrestlers actually wrestle and figure out their matches on their own without a ton of agents doing it for them. That would go a long way towards differentiating one match from the next and probably putting on something better for cameras. I'm also all for changing how this stuff is even filmed and presented (less cameras, darker arena only lighting the ring). I doubt either of those things happen.

But ultimately, like @MORELOCK said, I'm ok with these people not legitimately beating the shit out of each other under the guise of working stiff.

How do you feel about chop exchanges? Because obviously that's nothing to do with shootstyle, but loads of wrestlers make 'Look how stiff my chops are' into a feature of their matches. Do you think of Walter and the Big Show (or Gary Jay and Bstard Cassidy) as legitimately beating the shit out of their opponents?

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Eivion was just saying that shootstyle wrestlers actually beat the fuck out of each other. I maintain that stiff shootstyle pro-wrestling and actual shoot fighting are two different things, and that you can have a good shootstyle match without damaging your opponent.

How do you feel about chop exchanges? Because obviously that's nothing to do with shootstyle, but loads of wrestlers make 'Look how stiff my chops are' into a feature of their matches. Do you think of Walter and the Big Show (or Gary Jay and Bstard Cassidy) as legitimately beating the shit out of their opponents?

I couldn't care less about chops because it's one part of a match, a small part, and it's to a meaty part of the body where you're not going to get injured or concussed. 

13 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Thank you so much for the reminder. That goofy fucker just dancing his ass off and then immediately tanking that dive is one of the saddest, funniest things I have ever seen.

Plus we get the added bonus of the downright hilarity of his opponent and the kids getting him right the fuck out of there, so that would be a plus except for how brutally his opponent manhandles him immediately after a severe head and neck trauma.

I am definitely going to watch that again right now. I am a fucking ghoul.

Link plz

Edit: saw it was posted further down. 

Edited by Infinit

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I just want to say, seeing FWA mentioned reminds me of seeing Paul Burchill 'Monster Moments' online and thinking he was going to be awesome in WWE. Then he became an incestuous pirate. 

Imagine trying to explain to a lapsed Attitude era fan that "Incestuous Pirate" Paul Burchill wasn't a Vince Russo idea.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Log said:

What’s going to be really glaring is WWE guys/gals coming out and doing their stock poses that they HAVE to perform with each entrance to no one. 

I just figured out WWE is Westworld.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

He wasn't both at the same time anyway

That somehow feels more confusing. "He wanted to bone his sister then when examining his family tree saw a great grandfather was a pirate so that's what he did next. Then he got future endeavored because Vince only has seen pirates of the penzance ".

• Haha 1

Being a pirate was pretty much a men only job back in the day. Considering a lot of pirate ships were just Royal Navy ships flying a different flag for the occasion and that.

Also, it's not 'the Penzance'. It's just Penzance. It's a town on the South coast of England. They only used it as the title of the musical because Pirates of Bognor Regis sounds rubbish. And doesn't rhyme with dance.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, sabremike said:

Highspots and IndependentWrestlingTV are both great and highly recommend, and of course there is so much stuff on YouTube as well.

Highspots if worth the price just for all the shoots they have on the service. Add in all the full shows they got and it is my most used Wrestling service.

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Also, it's not 'the Penzance'. It's just Penzance. It's a town on the South coast of England. They only used it as the title of the musical because Pirates of Bognor Regis sounds rubbish. And doesn't rhyme with dance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3