DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine

DEAN

I fink Bull Nakano's freeky and I like her a lot.

============================

Bull in full fruition against the greatest of all-time, Lioness fucking Asuka.

• Like 3

Oh man, this match is great.  We forget how great Masa Chono and Koshinaka were.  EVERYBODY hates Chono-  Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura and his weird ass partner, Fuyuki.  The postmatch is awesome.  WRESTLE AND ROMANCE~!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Peter Maivia versus Stan Stasiak in 1978.  Welcome to great punches.

Viddy all this: my main man Dick Woehrle. "The Continental Nobleman" Joe Turco. Capt. Lou shenanigans. Thee Classy One Fred Blassie.  Mr. McMahon and his sportscoat filling time at the end. It ain't Shakespeare but it was what we had back then.

- RAF

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Stan Stasiak vs fiery babyface Larry Zbysko from 1977.  So Stasiak was awesome.

Today I learned that Mr. Fuji's finisher is the Kamikaze Clothesline (looked like a lariat to me but it's cool). Young Dewey Robertson looked good in there, too. Later came the marijuana reefer and nudist camps, and then you start painting your face and ergonomically shaving your hair...

- RAF

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Today I learned that Mr. Fuji's finisher is the Kamikaze Clothesline (looked like a lariat to me but it's cool). Young Dewey Robertson looked good in there, too. Later came the marijuana reefer and nudist camps, and then you start painting your face and ergonomically shaving your hair...

- RAF

I had totally forgotten about having a duty to re-awaken your opponent if you put them out with the Sleeper.  Being a Mid-Atlantic child, I remember Tony Atlas methodically slapping the backs of his victims to awaken them.

30 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I had totally forgotten about having a duty to re-awaken your opponent if you put them out with the Sleeper.  Being a Mid-Atlantic child, I remember Tony Atlas methodically slapping the backs of his victims to awaken them.

I was just watching Dick Slater do that in 1985 Mid-South. Watts was appalled that Slater was not waking his opponents quick enough, less they potentially get brain damage from lack of Oxygen 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was just watching Dick Slater do that in 1985 Mid-South. Watts was appalled that Slater was not waking his opponents quick enough, less they potentially get brain damage from lack of Oxygen 

I didn't realize that survived the 70s.  They should bring that back.

I remember seeing the sleeper deal when I first watching in the mid 80s, so it was still ongoing then. That was a crucial part of the angle with Dusty and Lex in JCP when Matsuda taught it to Luger and Dusty was using the Weaver Lock. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, DEAN said:

Oh man, this match is great.  We forget how great Masa Chono and Koshinaka were.  EVERYBODY hates Chono-  Koshinaka, Kengo Kimura and his weird ass partner, Fuyuki.  The postmatch is awesome.  WRESTLE AND ROMANCE~!

Too good. I had to wrap my head around the allegiances -- Heisei Ishingun are New Japan but not really New Japan, Chono is New Japan but a heel, Fuyuki is WAR but nobody likes him at all (even his lackeys Jado and Gedo probably), Tenryu is WAR and a face even though he seemed like a heel in most of the interpromotional matches, and Choshu is New Japan. It's such a weird mix and when shit really pops off during the postmatch it's the best. Fuyuki doing the Hogan poses made me want the crowd to throw trash at him so bad. 

It also seemed like somebody really pissed in Chono's cornflakes this morning, because all the kicks were super aggressive, they tried to open up Koshinaka hardway, and the speed he went into that STF... ouch.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Its more like she started out with shoes then went barefoot after a bit  when she started training into the style people know her for. In general though I see people switch around when doing that style. Her protégé, Konami, does the same thing in Stardom.

• Like 2

This whole card is loaded.  Go with Bachlund versus Slaughter or maybe the magic that is Yoshiaki Yatsu versus Baron Mikel Sicluna.

This one has the actual Yatsu vs Mikel Sicluna match on it.  According to cagematch.net, Yatsu's second match was at Madison Square Garden.  I'm assuming he was trained in Florida by Hiro Matsuda.  Hang around for Stan Hansen vs Bob Bachlund.

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

Kendo Nagasaki and Naoki Sano have a match.

With James Beard as referee, no less.

Somewhere I have an SWS Blu-Ray I got from King George Mayfield at a JAPW show a ways back. This makes me want to crack it open.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, DEAN said:

Stan Stasiak vs fiery babyface Larry Zbysko from 1977.  So Stasiak was awesome.

Another Portland boy who made good! There were always EMTs present when he wrestled in Seattle or Portland in case his opponent needed immediate attention after the dreaded heart punch.  Stasiak didn't do much, but he did have that heart punch shit down to a fine art form. In the Northwest the measure of a heel's effectiveness was whether or not the grannies in the front row would try and stab said heel with a hat-pin. Stasiak often resembled a veritable pin-cushion on his way out of the ring via the wrestlers' exit.  To this day I'm not sure which was the better place to view matches the Portland Rose Garden or Seattle's Masonic Temple, both were delightfully sleazy. 

• Like 1